6.8mm

Defender

I think I've got too much time and money invested in 556 plus Im too old to change now, lol, but I've been seeing alot lately about 6.8mm.  I think there are some great 6.8 ARs to be had right now, but I read that the military is currently testing three 6.8 mm prototypes by General Dynamics, Textron and Sig Sauer, and plan to pick one to start fielding to troops in 2022.  Watched a few videos and reviews of the cartridge and its pretty impressive.  Overcomes many of the limitations of the 5.56 as well as they say outperforming the 7.62 but at less weight than the 7.62.  I saw one on TV last night on the history or military history channel that was a 6.8 AR with a 8 inch barrel designed for protection details.  Of course, that one would be an SBR.Looked awesome.  I know some of y'all on here have been into 6.8 for a while.

No experience with it myself. However, back around the turn of the century I took a class from a retired Socom Warrant Officer and a bunch of other retied Socom guys. During just general conversation the M-16 came up and he mentioned that his former unit had field tested the 6.8 in actual combat. He loved it! Said it was far superior to the 5.56. But for some reason the Army just never pursued it any further at that time.

• Like 1

I've got one that I built a few years ago. I built it for deer hunting and still haven't used it in the woods....

Mine has a 16" ARP barrel and shoots great with the couple of factory loads and several reloads I have run through it - 90gr Gold Dots and 110gr BTHP are what I am loading. Lots of people run a SBR as it does very well in short barrels. 

Check out the 68Forums for all the info you could want.