Interesting change at Brownell's - The buying frenzy is crunching harder?

Erich

I called Brownell's today to check if they had an estimated back in-stock date for a couple items BEFORE ORDERING THEM (after verification with manufacturer the item was on its way and Brownells was updated with expected date). I've called them in the past for the same, and generally their CS is always as helpful as they can be with that info.

Today before I had completely finished the sentence, the nice young lady politely said they are unable to give any updates on any backordered products. After saying I didn't understand, I have always received that info in the past. 

It appears their call volume queues have gone up several fold (it was 40+ callers last week) and stocking questions are killing them. They Firearms Buydemic has had their management change policy, ordering staff to  bypass stock related calls.  I got the sense it harder for the poor CS folks to deny your request than anything else.

I completely understand B's decision. One of my favorite places to buy from.

What I gleen from this is that the buying frenzy has gotten even worse though it was already bad. Typical of election cycle behavior perhaps, but damn.

Takeaway: If you knew to check before ordering items showing backorder status at Brownell's....that is no more. At least for now.

Edited by Erich

I’ve been trying to get something as simple those stupid little plastic slotted tips for a cleaning rod for a couple of months now but between Brownell’s and Midway I haven’t been able to get what I need.  One has this size, but not the other, etc, etc. 

Edited by Garufa
4 hours ago, Raoul said:

Are you really surprised?

Of course not, but I see what I did there which it seem that way. The 'why' of calling which I removed to keep it shorter was a key set-up to avoid the notion I rode the short bus to school.  Recognizing the politics as the last statement wasn't gonna save my butt. Fair enough.  I'll edit it.

The takeaway of this is how its effecting companies ability to field calls and them just saying hey, we give up on that, its killing us. And a notice for those that use that avenue.

While it makes sense for them, savy folks who know that their vendors notify them of inbound shipments will call first to see what the date is on items showing backorder to know if they can wait or have to source elsewhere at high prices if they think they really need it. 

I've found Brownells dates relatively accurate (unlike Midway), that avenue being gone sucks.

Worse for me, knowing better about hording but convincing myself an inconvenience outweighs the likelihood of the worse case scenario actually occurring.

In 2018 I was sitting on an embarrassing amount of ammo I had stockpiled in CA over 5 years after the 2012 event (thought I was in my permanent home). When it came to move here, 3+ tons of ammo count not go with our homegoods, had to be a separate hazmat carrier. YRC moved it out here for $1500 (the inconvenience).

June 2018 we get here but did not buy a house but rented waiting to find a permanent situation. Did not want to have to worry about moving tons of ammo again in the next year or two, selling of 2/3 rds of it over the next few months thru mid 2019.

2020 rolls around, still renting the same house.  That inconvenience of moving it is outweighed by 2020 events bringing the worst case scenario. De-hording under rationale betting against the perfect storm in a tight window is a crazy lesson, The worst part was telling my wife what it would go for today compared to when I sold it off after she asked because people she works with were talking about ammo shortages and prices.

Maybe I do have short bus history I just dont remember, or want to

Edited by Erich