Gun Safe location in home

So I’m looking to purchase a gun safe and need some opinions. The Safehouse in Knoxville recommendation was to put the safe in the garage and bolt to concrete. They said that safes inside a home are often total losses in a catastrophic fire. Placing the safe in a garage gives the safes fire rating a fighting chance at saving your contents. That’s all well and good, but I hate the idea of going out in the garage to access guns or valuables. 

the house is two story on a crawl space. The downstairs is all 4” red oak hardwood floors as is the common areas upstairs, and the upstairs bedrooms are carpet. I have various location both downstairs and upstairs to place the safe. On the carpet I’d lag it down no problem but what do folks do on hardwood? 

tl;dr - does anyone put safe on hardwood floor and if yes, do you bolt it down? If no, are the options to keep from tipping over. Kids safety is the main issue for purchase to begin with 

Big safes won’t go thru interior doors. I would put it in the garage, bolted down with a switch going to your alarm system. Throw a blanket over it so it looks like a safe with a blanket over it.

I would want air to circulate underneath safe so I would use spacers with B7 grade bolts.

• Like 2

I could have sworn that when these threads happened in the past everyone said not to put in in the garage because it saw the biggest temperature swings and was easiest to steal from. When I bought from The Safe House they never told me to put it in the garage but I also never asked. We put both of ours in our master closet(it was huge) and bolted them to the concrete slab. When we had tile installed they just went right around the safes and I included both in the sale of our house back in April. That being said, if everyone is saying put it in the garage I'm sure it won't hurt. I just wouldn't want to sacrifice parking space but that's just me. 

9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I could have sworn that when these threads happened in the past everyone said not to put in in the garage because it saw the biggest temperature swings and was easiest to steal from. When I bought from The Safe House they never told me to put it in the garage but I also never asked. We put both of ours in our master closet(it was huge) and bolted them to the concrete slab. When we had tile installed they just went right around the safes and I included both in the sale of our house back in April. That being said, if everyone is saying put it in the garage I'm sure it won't hurt. I just wouldn't want to sacrifice parking space but that's just me. 

Yeah, they told me the biggest issue is moisture and you can co trail that with a dehumidifier. I was the same as you in thinking that it should go inside. I’m not worried about theft as much as child safety and general nosy guest safety. If someone wants something they’ll likely get it if they have enough time. Adding a switch to the hole alarm is a cool thought I may do. Bolting them down is the biggest theft deterrent as event the less expensive safes need to be laid down for easiest access. We could put it in the master closet but would have to remove some custom shelving and not sure that’s what I want to do. I have an office that I’m really leaning towards as a likely indoor location.  

I want it indoors mainly because I’m a pussy and don’t want to sweat while fondling my guns daily 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I put mine in the corner of a spare bedroom. The safe weighs around 725 lbs empty. I had Parker Safes get mine in the house. If you need to get the safe in your house I highly recommend them  They had to block up the steps to the front porch before taking it inside. I don't have it bolted down but with the weight of everything in it, I doubt it will get very far. I also have a dog and alarm on the house to protect it.

• Like 1

personally, I would not use the garage because of the temp swings.  Also some garages may be visible from the street and I don't want anyone to know I have a safe.  Concern for someone simply backing up to the safe and hauling it off, jerking it out with a chain, etc.  Terrible idea unless that is the only place to put it.  Installation in the house preferably against an outside wall is a better location if fire is a concern...in a corner with two outside walls even better.  Most fireproof area in a home.  A lot of fires start in garages anyway.....still makes it a bad idea.  Like others I have heard warnings about garages.

Mine has been in the garage since 2008. It’s not the best climate but do have rechargeable dehumidifier that does well. Also keep everything wiped down. I did buy silicone laced sleeves for longer things. 
edit to add-most newer ones have plugs to get power into the safe. Mine doesn’t so that’s why I have the rechargeable stuff. 

Edited by jhc77
Blah
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I want it indoors mainly because I’m a pussy and don’t want to sweat while fondling my guns daily 

If handling your guns doesn't make you sweat a little, you might have bigger problems than being a pussy...

• Haha 2
55 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

Mine has been in the garage since 2008. It’s not the best climate but do have rechargeable dehumidifier that does well. Also keep everything wiped down. I did buy silicone laced sleeves for longer things. 
edit to add-most newer ones have plugs to get power into the safe. Mine doesn’t so that’s why I have the rechargeable stuff. 

I have a small room I use in the garage. Heater for cold weather. I try for 50 degrees in the room. I have Golden Rod dehumidifiers in the safe. Also use the portable, rechargeable units as well. I shoot to keep humidity around 50% in the safes. During hot/humid weather' I run a box fan to keep air circulating and a room dehumidifier. Also have a vent for the attic with turbine fan above to help vent the heat. Just my methods where we live. It works for me. 

1 hour ago, jhc77 said:

Should I say how ridicilously easy it is to drill a hole in the safe to run a power cord?

Yes. I use the silicone gun socks as well. I forgot those. lol I feel that they work very well.

35 minutes ago, hipower said:

Should I say how ridicilously easy it is to drill a hole in the safe to run a power cord?

Yes. I use the silicone gun socks as well. I forgot those. lol I feel that they work very well.

“Hole” is a problem. While its rated fireproof, I’d rather not make another hole in it. 

• Like 1

My big safe had a pop out plug in the back to run a cord through then you put the plug on after it is through so the hole is small and low in the back. I have a Golden Rod dehumidifier in mine and put a gauge inside to keep an eye on it and it stays between 42-45% in my drive in basement. My small safe is a Winchester, about 100lbs not fireproof, from Tractor Supply, that is in our walk in closet. Both are bolted to the walls/floor. The small safe has one of those rechargeable dehumidifiers.

• Like 1

Like everything it depends on your situation. I wouldn’t put a gun safe in the garage. I also see a gun safe as secure storage, and to slow burglars down, not to protect firearms in a fire. Insurance is for fire protection.

Guns and jewelry surviving a fire in a safe has been argued at great lengths. The answer is always…it depends. 

• Like 1

A 950lb safe is too heavy for standard residential floor construction unless its footprint is bigger than 3x3ft. While not ideal for all the reasons mentioned, I wouldnt put it on anything other than concrete. Just manage the moisture. 

Would 2 smaller safes work better than one huge one?

Edited by peejman
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Plenty of homes with crawl spaces have garden tubs. Those things will close in on 1,000# when full of water. Shoot, min'es on the second floor. When placed by an exterior wall (ie the end of the floor joists) the weight isn't a problem. If you're not comfortable with the weight in the house, keep it on the first floor and add some supports under the safe in the crawl space. A couple of jack posts on pre-formed concrete footers beneath the joists should alleviate any doubts about your floor's strength to hold the weight.

Edited by monkeylizard
18 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Plenty of homes with crawl spaces have garden tubs. Those things will close in on 1,000# when full of water. Shoot, min'es on the second floor. When placed by an exterior wall (ie the end of the floor joists) the weight isn't a problem. If you're not comfortable with the weight in the house, keep it on the first floor and add some supports under the safe in the crawl space. A couple of jack posts on pre-formed concrete footers beneath the joists should alleviate any doubts about your floor's strength to hold the weight.

Tubs don't stay full of water for years. 

That said, I have a 50 gallon aquarium on a crawlspace and I braced the floor underneath in a similar manner.