IMPORTANT - READ IMMEDIATELY!

Add TGOBACKUP.COM to your Internet bookmarks immediately.   If we lose our domain registration with GoDaddy as part of the ongoing assault against Free Speech, we will re-home to the domain name TGOBACKUP.COM as quickly as possible.

Today, 11-JANUARY-2021, GoDaddy de-platformed AR15.com by cutting off their DNS registration.  You can read more about that here: 
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/the-deplatforming-continues-godaddy-boots-ar15-com/

Experience with Primary Arms and Vortex 1-6 or 1-8 LPVO

• Administrator

I’m just looking for some real world experience from users of both Primary Arms and Vortex branded 1-6 or 1-8 low power variable optics on a 5.56 AR platform.

Which have you used, how did it perform, how well did it old up, and if you could change anything about the purchase what would it have been?

Years ago I had a Trijicon Accupoint on an AR but someone else wanted the gun more than I did and bought the whole kit for more than I paid. I’d like to do another magnified optic on a 16” platform set up for duty / defensive / practical situations and am looking at sub $1500 options. Preferably sub $1000. 

For sub $1000, EuroOptic is still running a sale on their Bushnell Elite Tactical smrs ii 1-6.5 in black for $600.  If they still have the PRO model in FDE in stock, those supposedly have ED glass.  My buddy has a higher magnification version and really likes it.  I used it a few times and the Elites sime well built.  Glass was clear and the turrets tracked true.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Bushnell-SMRS-1-65x24-ILL-CQ-BDC-Riflescope-ET71624.aspx

• Like 1

I've got a PA 1-6 ACSS that I got on a Black Friday sale a couple years ago.  For the money it has been a champ, I typically shoot my shorter guns more so don't get to pull it out much, but have always been impressed with the clarity.  I haven't read many bad reviews of the PA ones.  

Might want to take a look at the swampfox offerings as well.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
45 minutes ago, FrankD said:

I've got a PA 1-6 ACSS that I got on a Black Friday sale a couple years ago.  For the money it has been a champ, I typically shoot my shorter guns more so don't get to pull it out much, but have always been impressed with the clarity.  I haven't read many bad reviews of the PA ones.  

Might want to take a look at the swampfox offerings as well.

Man, I love that ACSS reticle. I just wish Nightforce would license it. So I could marry my favorite reticle with my favorite glass. 

• Like 1

I've had a PA 1-6 ACSS scope on a BM ACR for several years.  For the money, they deliver a fair value.   I've never done much roughhousing or 3-gun with it, so I can't offer any meaningful experience as to the durability.   

The glass is pretty fair, not quite as bright as the similarly priced Vortex Strike Eagle.  The eyebox is adequate, if not generous.  The Strike Eagle seems a bit superior there.   Taken all around, I find the ACSS reticle more useful than the Strike Eagle's.  The only 1-8 I looked through had such a small eyebox that I, personally, would look elsewhere.

I'd have no problem at all buying another 1-6, if the right deal came along.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, hlb14 said:

For right around 1k I'd look strongly at a used vortex razor 1-6 gen2.

I scored my NF NX8 1-8 for $1250 on the secondary market. Used glass can be had at a helluva bargain. 

I have  to echo Ken based on Vortex 1-6 and 1-8's I've had. I was an early adopter when they came out with the 1-8 but the lens quality in my first unit was noticeably worse. Vortex was great and swapped it out. The replacement was about on par to 6 power, but clarity suffered a bit after that. I rarely ran it passed 6. And the eyebox is a hair less forgiving.

I never lived with the PA version, but borrowed one for a weekend after finding the newer Vortex was not an improvement over the 1-6. 1-6 Vortex nod on the glass, but the ACSS was a faster pickup for more precise placement at longer distance to me. Toss up. YMMV

I have really been liking PA's newer prism scopes @ 3x even if the use case is'nt intended to be the same. PA is also very good about taking care of issues. I had an older 5x prism with blem reticle and they swapped it out no problem.

I may have another new / unboxed Vortex 1-8 if you decide to go that way. 

On 10/23/2020 at 2:08 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Man, I love that ACSS reticle. I just wish Nightforce would license it. So I could marry my favorite reticle with my favorite glass. 

I wish I had Chuck's money.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, TGO David said:

I forgot to come back to this.  I bought a Vortex Razor II-E in 1-6 with MRAD reticle.  Totally pleased with it!

I've never heard anyone complain about their Razor line. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

I've never heard anyone complain about their Razor line. 

It's an amazing piece of glass.  I'll buy another from them in higher magnification for another build soon.

• Like 1