Experience with Primary Arms and Vortex 1-6 or 1-8 LPVO

• Administrator

I’m just looking for some real world experience from users of both Primary Arms and Vortex branded 1-6 or 1-8 low power variable optics on a 5.56 AR platform.

Which have you used, how did it perform, how well did it old up, and if you could change anything about the purchase what would it have been?

Years ago I had a Trijicon Accupoint on an AR but someone else wanted the gun more than I did and bought the whole kit for more than I paid. I’d like to do another magnified optic on a 16” platform set up for duty / defensive / practical situations and am looking at sub $1500 options. Preferably sub $1000. 

For sub $1000, EuroOptic is still running a sale on their Bushnell Elite Tactical smrs ii 1-6.5 in black for $600.  If they still have the PRO model in FDE in stock, those supposedly have ED glass.  My buddy has a higher magnification version and really likes it.  I used it a few times and the Elites sime well built.  Glass was clear and the turrets tracked true.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Bushnell-SMRS-1-65x24-ILL-CQ-BDC-Riflescope-ET71624.aspx

• Like 1

I've got a PA 1-6 ACSS that I got on a Black Friday sale a couple years ago.  For the money it has been a champ, I typically shoot my shorter guns more so don't get to pull it out much, but have always been impressed with the clarity.  I haven't read many bad reviews of the PA ones.  

Might want to take a look at the swampfox offerings as well.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
45 minutes ago, FrankD said:

I've got a PA 1-6 ACSS that I got on a Black Friday sale a couple years ago.  For the money it has been a champ, I typically shoot my shorter guns more so don't get to pull it out much, but have always been impressed with the clarity.  I haven't read many bad reviews of the PA ones.  

Might want to take a look at the swampfox offerings as well.

Man, I love that ACSS reticle. I just wish Nightforce would license it. So I could marry my favorite reticle with my favorite glass. 

• Like 1

I've had a PA 1-6 ACSS scope on a BM ACR for several years.  For the money, they deliver a fair value.   I've never done much roughhousing or 3-gun with it, so I can't offer any meaningful experience as to the durability.   

The glass is pretty fair, not quite as bright as the similarly priced Vortex Strike Eagle.  The eyebox is adequate, if not generous.  The Strike Eagle seems a bit superior there.   Taken all around, I find the ACSS reticle more useful than the Strike Eagle's.  The only 1-8 I looked through had such a small eyebox that I, personally, would look elsewhere.

I'd have no problem at all buying another 1-6, if the right deal came along.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have  to echo Ken based on Vortex 1-6 and 1-8's I've had. I was an early adopter when they came out with the 1-8 but the lens quality in my first unit was noticeably worse. Vortex was great and swapped it out. The replacement was about on par to 6 power, but clarity suffered a bit after that. I rarely ran it passed 6. And the eyebox is a hair less forgiving.

I never lived with the PA version, but borrowed one for a weekend after finding the newer Vortex was not an improvement over the 1-6. 1-6 Vortex nod on the glass, but the ACSS was a faster pickup for more precise placement at longer distance to me. Toss up. YMMV

I have really been liking PA's newer prism scopes @ 3x even if the use case is'nt intended to be the same. PA is also very good about taking care of issues. I had an older 5x prism with blem reticle and they swapped it out no problem.

I may have another new / unboxed Vortex 1-8 if you decide to go that way. 

On 10/23/2020 at 2:08 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Man, I love that ACSS reticle. I just wish Nightforce would license it. So I could marry my favorite reticle with my favorite glass. 

I wish I had Chuck's money.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Strike Eagle 1-6 on my Stag Arms AR (yeah yeah a 1-9 twist but it is as accurate as my old 1-7 twist AR's I carried in the Army) and I love it. I am a gun abuser as I think of guns as a tool and it takes a beating and keeps on ticking. The glass is nice and as my eves age I would definitely get the 1-8 if you can afford it now. The lighted reticle is super bright when you need it and works great in low light. My 66 year old father shot it for the first time last year before the COVID stuff started and he is itching to do it again.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, just wanted to post my general review and thoughts about the Delta stryker 1-6 (mil/mil)as a response for a sub $1k option and recommendation for anyone still looking for a fair priced value 1-6. I ordered from Charles at Darnfineshot.com and everything was a smooth and I had a great experience. This scope is made in Japan by Light optical works and runs in the $700-850 range.
Ok, on to the quick review. My experience with LPVOs are: Primary arms SLx 1-6 acss, Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10, PST gen II, Razor HD 1-6. The Delta blows the first two out of the water. It's flatter, better glass, nuclear bright(IMO) and the turrets are better and it doesn't have the pronounced tube effect. Still impressed with the Swampfox Arrowhead for the money but it's just not close to the Delta. The Delta and the PST gen II are closer. Perhaps the Delta has a tad outside edge distortion more than the PST, but outside of that the Delta wins in every category here. It's flatter, brighter, lighter, the controls are better, the turrets are better and the glass is better overall and it has less tube effect...oh, and the throw is 100% better. If your deciding between these two, IMHO go Delta, even if it's $100-$200 more(although I think the PST is a fine LPVO). Now the Razor...the Delta comes close, but it's just not quite there. The Razor is still superior on 1x and edge to edge is clearer. The Razor has essentially 0 tube effect, but the Delta bridges that gap nicely from the prior LPVOs mentioned; but considering what I paid and what the Razor costs, I think if your on a budget or just finance conscious, get the Delta. If money is no option then jump into that 1300-5000k range, yeah, of course. But IMO the drop off between the Razor and Delta is fairly negligible. Will the Razor look better side by side, yes, but will you be thinking to yourself -"Man, I got something this close to a Razor for nearly half the price? Oh and it's lighter..." IMO, yes!

I hope this helps. I'm not trying to give a plug for Delta here but I do a lot of research and have been searching for best bang for the buck in an LPVO for awhile now and I truly believe this is that LPVO, my fear is the price will continue rise, so buy while it's low and before they start gaining popularity over here, because I think they will.

Edited by Josiahb55