AAR: Surgical Pistol Skills (Harris Combatives/ Randy Harris)

Randy Harris (Harris Combatives // "Cruel Hand Luke" on TGO) put on his Surgical Pistol Skills class over the weekend (Sat and Sun) at Windrock Shooting Range in Oliver Springs, TN.

I took the class along w/ 9 other local (to Oliver Springs) shooters. The purpose of the class is to help shooters improve their precision and all around shooting skills at the appropriate speed based on size of target/range to target. We started Sat morning w/ some history and background of defensive handgun shooting/training as well as shooting technique. We then moved to live fire drills.

The drills tested the shooter and also reinforced the techniques, becoming progressively more difficult over the two days. This included very small targets at close range, medium sized (8x10 ish) targets at long range, and various sized targets AT SPEED w/ both hands, dominant hand, and non-dominant hand. A wide variety of targets were used, including steel. Randy also addressed other topics relevant to defensive use of the pistol, including proper mindset.

Shooters were "tested" for a baseline on day one and again near the end of the class. All showed improvement and several commented on specific techniques Randy taught/showed them which helped them solve individual "problems" they were having w/ their shooting. Throughout, Randy was responsive to each student, addressing their individual "problems" in addition to the material included the the course.

We finished up Sun afternoon w/ some one-on-one competitive shooting. Nothing better than learning and having fun at the same time!

Overall, this was an excellent class and a good value for the money. In spite of long days on the range, there were no complaints from students... which is usually indicative of the students being fully engaged and interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the chance to meet Randy a couple years ago at a local IDPA match in Cleveland. The person that introduced us didn’t give me much information about him. He just told me, “Randy does some training. You should check him out.” I was waiting for Mr. Harris to give me a sales pitch. Didn’t happen. Randy gave a brief rundown of what he does. That was it. The day ended and he smoked the rest of the squad. There was no chest beating, no look at me attitude, it was just another day. 

After returning to Knoxville I did a little research. Both online and by word of mouth Randy seemed to have a good standing in the shooting community. I thought that if an opportunity opened up and the right class was offered i’d give him a try. 

Not only did I attend the class this weekend but my daughter did as well. This class helped both of us greatly. Not once was my daughter uncomfortable. The course was a very professional and well put together.  Randy and AJ held our attention both days and did an outstanding job. 

Guys, we’ll see you again. 

Thanks,

Howler

AKA Full Size Target

• Thanks 1