Armslist no longer free.

Grayfox54

I actually made a deal off of Armslist today. The little Browning I posted in Show & Tell. The seller did have a phone number in his ad and we did it by phone. 

During the transaction the seller brought up how you now have to pay to use Armslist. Apparently, there was some sort of grace period between the announcement of pay and actual freezing of ads. Seller said be just did manage to edit his ad with a phone number before edit access was cut off. Also said he has one more ad up and when its gone, he'll no longer use Armslist. 

I told him that it hadn't been for the phone number he would have missed the sale. He just nodded and said "Yeah, I know."

9 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I actually made a deal off of Armslist today. The little Browning I posted in Show & Tell. The seller did have a phone number in his ad and we did it by phone. 

During the transaction the seller brought up how you now have to pay to use Armslist. Apparently, there was some sort of grace period between the announcement of pay and actual freezing of ads. Seller said be just did manage to edit his ad with a phone number before edit access was cut off. Also said he has one more ad up and when its gone, he'll no longer use Armslist. 

I told him that it hadn't been for the phone number he would have missed the sale. He just nodded and said "Yeah, I know."

Welcome to the TGO Den of Thieves.  It will be a rapidly growing membership through this standard when you consider the number of members who own "AR/AK etc. pistols" with brace who in some eyes circumvents the "fee". Mind you, I have no problem paying a fee to post an item for sale on any media/social media platform.  I do have an issue paying a fee in order to have the ability to send emails that go unanswered or spend my money, especially when the platform does not hold the inventory.  I pay my fees here at TGO as I do other places and try to follow TGO rules as agreed, to include not calling other members names or calling their integrity into question if I post a disagreement with their position.  I respect that the duties of an Administrator requires much effort, time and yes expense in order to maintain a site to the high standard that TGO operates.  The standard by which TGO generally operates is why it is the only firearms board I participate in. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I have no problem with a small fee to post an ad. But charging to buy is ridiculous. I won't do it. There;s a rifle on there now that I'd like to ask the seller a few questions about. Looks like that ain't gonna happen.

I ran into the same problem last night. Saw a S&W Model 617 .22lr revolver for $500. When I tried to contact the seller I was notified that I would have to upgrade my membership. I really wanted the gun but the buyer did not provide a phone number or email address.

Same here. One guy has some powder to trade, which would suit me just fine. But it isn't worth five bucks to me to find out if he still has it and whether we can work out a way to meet to make a trade. I've used Armslist several times in the past and found some great deals, but I'm unlikely to pay a fee just to respond to an ad to see if we can work out a deal.

I understand that Armslist needs to make a buck just like everyone else, but I think this particular model needs to be tweaked somehow. I'm guessing that the owners of Armslist are getting an earful and will work out something "better".

Edited by Darrell