New Guns & Leather Website

Metalhead

http://cms102.icglink.net/

It's a work in progress, and when its finished will have our usually URL to go with it.

Need you guys to provide some constructive critisism. What needs to be changed? What needs to be added?

There are some things that are a given - the class dates are not correct, need to add class 3 and other things. More looking for design changes, potential FAQ questions, that kind of thing.

EDIT: Text in the About Us section needs to be revamped I know, they just pulled that off our old page.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New site looks great.

*) On the main page, I would change the store hours format from:

9AM-9PM to 9 AM - 9 PM to make it easier to read.

*) The FAQ I would add change the question from:

Do I need to bring my own firearm for the class?

to

Do I need to bring my own firearm and ammunition to the class?

*) It would be better if there were an accessories page broken down by various subgroups like range bags, cleaning supplies/lube, etc.

*) It appears that your range membership is for families.

What is the cost of an individual membership and for family members that do not which to share a lane?

What is the cost of shooting at the range without membership? All day or by the hour?

*) Type of firearms or caliber limits for the range?

*) List transfer fee.

*) Add gunsmithing capabilities.

• Administrator

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I'm really not crazy about it. It's pretty bland and doesn't really grab the eye. The format is extremely vanilla and could just as easily be a site for a shop selling screen doors, save for the pictures at the top of the page.

A quick glance at the site of the web developer (Revenue whatever...) and it's clear that even their own web site is pretty bland.

Now here's the tricky part because what I'm going to say next is going to sound like I've got an agenda. Truth is, I don't. I just hate to see a top notch gun shop like yours get saddled with a less than stellar web site because the web site I'm looking at there is truly not indicative of the sort of consumer "experience" that you guys are well known for providing.

If you'd like, I can put you in touch with a group that does do some outstanding design work. I worked with them for about 10 years and they are who I refer people to anytime it's a project that I can't handle personally or can't devote ample time to. Their work is just lightyears beyond what I'm seeing on that demo site and more in keeping with the sort of image that I think you want to present to your customers and potential customers.

Guest Bronker
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I'm really not crazy about it. It's pretty bland and doesn't really grab the eye. The format is extremely vanilla and could just as easily be a site for a shop selling screen doors, save for the pictures at the top of the page.

A quick glance at the site of the web developer (Revenue whatever...) and it's clear that even their own web site is pretty bland.

Now here's the tricky part because what I'm going to say next is going to sound like I've got an agenda. Truth is, I don't. I just hate to see a top notch gun shop like yours get saddled with a less than stellar web site because the web site I'm looking at there is truly not indicative of the sort of consumer "experience" that you guys are well known for providing.

If you'd like, I can put you in touch with a group that does do some outstanding design work. I worked with them for about 10 years and they are who I refer people to anytime it's a project that I can't handle personally or can't devote ample time to. Their work is just lightyears beyond what I'm seeing on that demo site and more in keeping with the sort of image that I think you want to present to your customers and potential customers.

Also check out www.thecolortheory.com The designer there is awesome and they do some big name stuff. They're local too. I also know they are Pro-2A and all HCP holders. They also shop at G&L, I have under reputable advisement...

Edited by Bronker

If you decide to redesign the new website, I would like to suggest that the website not use technologies that slowdown the loading of the web page.

I hate websites that want to play some intro/demo or heavy graphics each time you visit the site.

I also dislike the use of frames since you cannot easily link or add to favorites to quickly return to that section of the website.

I'm with Tungten on this one. It's very bland. I'd also add, very amateurish looking. If you were to open shop in the East Nashville area, I would find it to be par for the course and totally expected, but Guns and Leather is a top notch business that deserves a top notch website.

Not intended to be overly harsh. Just assumed you were looking for honest opinions and constructive criticism.

Guest nashnoob

I'm in the web application and database business (not commercial, I deal with medical and research data). I find the site design disappointing. The main purpose of the website should be to heighten interest to come to your store. There's nothing there that would do that. The layout is more like a general purpose CMS, it needs more graphics and colors. I wouldn't add any flash but design a more attractive layout, get crazy with the CSS. Hope you are not paying the company a lot of money for the site.

Edited by nashnoob
spelling

Hey Dennis,

I've been up to your store a few times, took my HCP class there and picked up my Glock there two weeks ago. I've been meaning to give you a proposal sheet about getting your web site up to par with your store and service.

Looks like you're headed in the right direction but I think you might consider a few changes.

I would suggest getting some good pictures taken of your store, the staff, the range, and some nice shots of products and incorporate them heavily into the site. Concentrate on selling your customer service and the "home town" feel to the store. Most of us have to drive a bit to get up there but the service is what makes it worth it.

I think there are too many options on the left menu bar and that they could be consolidated. Consider combining "About Us" and "Staff".

Change 'Moving Targets' to "Indoor Range". "Site Calendar" and "Classes" is redundant . . could change to just "Handgun Carry Permit Class" then the FAQ could link off that page.

I think the calendar is close but could be better in that I don't like a separate page opening on each class . .they could just come up in an information window on the same page.

"Contact Us" and "Map and Directions" could be the same link and you shouldn't have a separate 'Map Quest' window open for your map. It should be integrated into your page.

My friends and I do this kind of thing all the time. We do high quality photography and design as well as host the sites on our dedicated servers. We can talk about some trade for work as well if you would like.

Anyway, you have a great store and we've been talking about getting you a proposal for a new web site since December . . . we're just better at design then sales I guess.

thanks and contact me if you would like to see some examples . .

See? These are the comments I'm looking for.

I dont know if thats just a basic template they use for the demo page, but I will indeed be calling the guy in charge of building it and seeing if that is the exact color/graphic scheme he is going for. It IS rather bland, I'll give you guys an update when I have one.

• 2 months later...
Guest jos2f

I just saw this thread for the first time. To be honest, I prefer the old site compared to the new one as far as uniqueness goes. The new one looks something like a Yahoo store (CDNN anyone?)

I do very much appreciate your listing of transfer fee. Many gun stores do not do that for some reason

Guest Shane
Guns and Leather

It's a work in progress, and when its finished will have our usually URL to go with it.

Need you guys to provide some constructive critisism. What needs to be changed? What needs to be added?

There are some things that are a given - the class dates are not correct, need to add class 3 and other things. More looking for design changes, potential FAQ questions, that kind of thing.

EDIT: Text in the About Us section needs to be revamped I know, they just pulled that off our old page.

I agree with David. I think the site looks like something from the late 90's. I'm not trying to be mean, just saying what I believe and what you asked for.

Oh no not at all - it's not a design I particularly care for either. So far out of everyone that I've had look at it it's been pretty 50/50 on whether they liked the design.

Unfortunately, Dennis purchased the template from the developers before I really got a chance to look at it, so I'm afraid we're stuck with the way it looks. I can change the colors/banners and crap like that, but I really don't know if that's going to make a difference.

However, the admin side of the site is a breeze to control. I can pretty well edit or change anything on it in no time flat, without having to brush up on my HTML :tough:. That in itself is great, as the old flash-based page we were using had little to no flexibility to it, we really couldnt change much of anything outside of the class dates.

Speaking of the old website, apparently our webmaster has gone MIA. Phone #'s we had for him are disconnected, wont return emails, so on so forth. Come to find out, gunsandleather.com is registered in his name now for some reason, and it's like pulling teeth to get godaddy.com to strip him of it. If it wasnt for that, the new one would be up and running as we speak. Anyone have much experience with domain name stuff?

Guest nashnoob

Hi Daniel,

If gunsandleather.com is registered in your webmasters name there's several ways to solve this. First and simplest, I hope you had a contract with your old webmaster that specifies that although he may have registered the domain name, G&L holds the rights to the name. If you have a contract, sending a copy to GoDaddy should resolve it. The second way is to show GoDaddy that G&L's trademark protects the domain name. However if GoDaddy refuses to comply, and you cannot contact your old webmaster and get him to transfer the domain, then you may have to file a UDRP (Uniform Domain Name Dispute) complaint. Hopefully you can avoid that though, it has a fee ($1300) and will take months to resolve. You can IM me if you want any further details. I work in this field and know a bit about it. Thanks!