TEXAS pigs!

how does 300 BLK do against hogs under 100 yards?  Looking to go back to TX this fall for some pigs and was planning on running my 10.5" 300 gun but if I HAD to build an AR10 I guess I could make that work as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, FrankD said:

how does 300 BLK do against hogs under 100 yards?  Looking to go back to TX this fall for some pigs and was planning on running my 10.5" 300 gun but if I HAD to build an AR10 I guess I could make that work as well.

Sorry I missed this. 

The answer is...it depends...

I have a buddy that kills all of his domestic pigs with a 22 LR. We are talking 500 ➕️ lb pigs, but I would call the 22 a great pig cartridge. I've seen 200 lbs hogs taking a solid lung shot from a 200 gr 338 bullet from a 338 fed and have plenty of fight left in him. I do consider the 338 federal to be an excellent hog round. It all depends on how you are hunting. 

If you are hunting 1 hog, hunting it like a deer, and make a decent head/neck shot than a 300 blackout works fantastic. I doesn't matter how big the hog is if you have proper shot placement. 

If you are trying to kill as many hogs as possible, it's not great. Especially if you don't have backup. The problem is hitting running hogs. Your just not good at it if you don't practice shooting running things. 

If we are running multiple shooters, the guys running 5.56 and 300 blackout fill a different role. We all make head/neck shots on our first shot. The 5.56/300 guy have about twice the rate of fire. (Not including the m16) After the first shot, the 5.56/300 guys job is to put rounds on targets. The 308s and 338 put the pigs down and keep everyone safe from pigs running at us. It's mass chaos every time. We have had guy forget to shoot.  30 pigs and a guy never pulls the trigger because so many targets are running in every direction. 

If you want to use the 300, it'll work in the correct situations. Just not eradication. My buddy had a 300 lbish hog charge him. He was running a 300. He was cranking out rounds as fast as he could and the pig wouldn't go down. After he yelled for a bit and I chuckled a bit, I put a 308 round into it and dropped it in front of him. He never took it again. 

14 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

If you want to use the 300, it'll work in the correct situations. Just not eradication. My buddy had a 300 lbish hog charge him. He was running a 300. He was cranking out rounds as fast as he could and the pig wouldn't go down. After he yelled for a bit and I chuckled a bit, I put a 308 round into it and dropped it in front of him. He never took it again. 

If I ever go hunt pigs it will be with my 35 Whelen from a tree!!!

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, RED333 said:

If I ever go hunt pigs it will be with my 35 Whelen from a tree!!!

LOL

The guy is a magnet. We walked up on a 200 lb pig that wasn't moving. He grabbed it's ear because he wanted to look at the teeth. Problem was the pig had some life in him. The pig threw it's head up and tried to cut my buddy. He let go and fell backwards. I put two rounds into it point blank. The whole thing took less than 5 seconds. 

At night, "most" of the time a pig charging is unintentional. They don't know where we are and they are just running in all directions. If a pig is running at us and makes it past a certain point, we can't shoot it and we have let it pass between us. It's happened more than once. Always baby pigs. Large pigs get called out and everyone is shooting at that hog. Except the new guys....their job is to not shoot us. The guide in usually behind that guy with his hands up ready to grab the gun or the guy for safety reasons. We also try and keep new guy between us so they are somewhat boxed in a bit.

Glad yall are trained up so well and safe. In the "heat of the moment" things could go bad fast.

9 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

At night, "most" of the time a pig charging is unintentional. They don't know where we are and they are just running in all directions. If a pig is running at us and makes it past a certain point, we can't shoot it and we have let it pass between us. It's happened more than once. Always baby pigs. Large pigs get called out and everyone is shooting at that hog. Except the new guys....their job is to not shoot us. The guide in usually behind that guy with his hands up ready to grab the gun or the guy for safety reasons. We also try and keep new guy between us so they are somewhat boxed in a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Heading out Wednesday for a Wednesday night Thursday night hunt. I'll be back Friday. 4 shooters and lots of moon. LOL. Going to run the old Savage AR10 with the 3rd barrel, N-vision xrf, and Q suppessor. Backup gun is a Seekins precision with an 18" green mountain barrel, Thunderbeast, and N-vision NOX in 5.56. Stopping by Evolve Weapon Systems for a few things. Check out his stuff if you get a chance. Probably the best AR 15 handguard I've ever played with. 

https://evolveweaponssystems.com/

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

Heading out Wednesday for a Wednesday night Thursday night hunt. I'll be back Friday. 4 shooters and lots of moon. LOL. Going to run the old Savage AR10 with the 3rd barrel, N-vision xrf, and Q suppessor. Backup gun is a Seekins precision with an 18" green mountain barrel, Thunderbeast, and N-vision NOX in 5.56. Stopping by Evolve Weapon Systems for a few things. Check out his stuff if you get a chance. Probably the best AR 15 handguard I've ever played with. 

https://evolveweaponssystems.com/

Good luck.  Just got back last night from the Quitacue/Silverton area of Texas.  Watch out for rattle snakes.  They were very active the last couple of days.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Good luck.  Just got back last night from the Quitacue/Silverton area of Texas.  Watch out for rattle snakes.  They were very active the last couple of days.

Snake boots every time for me. I've hunted that area around Turkey Texas. 

Edited by Alleycat72
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

Snake boots every time for me. I've hunted that area around Turkey Texas. 

Had lunch Friday at the Turkey Hotel. It was fantastic. Some of the best food I have had in a while. Turkey Texas, home of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. 

Funny thing. They are dove hunting this weekend in one of the fields we killed pigs. We had to get them out of the field because they didn't want buzzards messing up the hunt.  He said the game wardens always show up to the hunt as sit in the same spot to "observe". If the see any violations, they'll write tickets. Guess where we put 8 200 lb pigs......

• Haha 3
  • 1 month later...