TEXAS pigs!

Took a new guy that can shoot. He used my backup gun and did well. My new rifle became problematic and almost became imbedded in the tree I wanted to wrap it around. 

22 hogs in hand. We were light 7 to 10 pigs due to my rifle identifying as a paperweight. 

Didn't get in a knife fight with a pig this time. 

• Like 2

I didn't take as many pictures do to the rifle. 

My old rifle was having feeding issues after  75 rounds so I ran small base dies thinking it would help. No luck. Put a new rifle together with the Wilson combat barrel that was on the old gun. New gun failed after 30 rounds. Only thing the same is the barrel and ammunition. All ammunition passes the gauge test. My back up gun ran fantastic. I wasn't going to take I away from a first time night hog hunter because my rifle wouldn't run. I'm going to run 100 rounds of the 150gr Varget load and see if I have an issue.  Regardless of the outcome, that barrel is going in the trash. 

7 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

Regardless of the outcome, that barrel is going in the trash. 

Chamber is wrong, can a reamer be used to fix that? Or the feed ramps not just right?

My hat is off to you Sir for not taking your rifle from the first timer and letting him have some shooting time!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

On the way to Texas with 3 guys. 1 unexpereanced shooter. We've already been over rule number 1....DON'T SHOOT ME. LOL

How are you liking the 308? I'm looking at the Ruger SFAR . I've been using my SBR'd  6.8 SPC and SBR 223 as a back up and it's fine but kinda wanting a new gun. Also I can't find 6.8 anywhere and I have plenty of 308 

Got 4 out of the first group I ran into 

IMG-3882.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

The 308 is a hammer. I tend to shoot probably 15% more rounds with the 5.56. We are trying out a Sig spear in 7.62x39 this time. 

yeah they had one of those sigs at the LGS and it looked interesting. That sounds about right for me too on the 5.56. I can get more bullets on hogs but I usually end up with the same amount down with either gun. I also have way mre 5.56 so I let it loose a little more too 

Edited by jwhjwh54
3 hours ago, jwhjwh54 said:

got bored and brought the smoke pole out and of course a group of like 50 comes out . 50 cal round call smoked her

Screen-Shot-2023-04-22-at-5-52-30-PM.png

Where a bouts? Tell the "Rest of the story".

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Just back from Texas. 19ish hours of driving. 6.5 hours of hunting. 4.8 miles of walking in muddy fields. 3.9 hours of sleep. Dead pigs everywhere. All in 36 hours. 

Two more trips pending in the next 3 months. 

Edited by Alleycat72
Lack of sleep.
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
10 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

19ish hours of driving. 6.5 hours of hunting. 4.8 miles of walking in muddy fields. 3.9 hours of sleep. Dead pigs everywhere. All in 36 hours. 

Now that is a real workout!!!

1 hour ago, Will said:

Are the Rattlers still out down there?

I didn't see any, but the guys down there say the rattlesnakes don't rattle because the hogs like to eat them. I stepped on a rattlesnake a few months back in a different state. I handed it better than I expected. LOL

• Wow 1