A lot of "scalping" going on with pistols

tercel89

I'm not sure what the MSRP is on the Gen 5 G22 MOS but I don't think its $825. There is a lot of this going on and just makes me sick. I saw a pack of primers that normally go for $28-$35 and it was listed at $135 last week on another site.  CRAZY ! It was interesting seeing the .40S&W with 2 pins instead of 3 pins. 

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The cool thing about being prepared is that you can sit back and enjoy the show.

We've seen this before, and we'll see it again.

Yeah , I got what I need , but it just seems arrogant at what some people are pricing stuff at. The bad thing is that people will probably pay their prices. 

31 minutes ago, Raoul said:

In fairness I left out one category that deserves some sympathy. Newbies. Lousy time to be starting the path to gun ownership.

It takes events like what have been happening lately to make some aware just how vulnerable they can be.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Raoul said:

Capitalism. You really wouldn't want it any other way. Anyone not prepared at this point in time is either impoverished, ignorant, or lazy.

We may have seen the end of an era of low gun prices and availability. I’m not optimistic about ever seeing it come back. Same for ammo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Pickaroon said:

We may have seen the end of an era of low gun prices and availability. I’m not optimistic about ever seeing it come back. Same for ammo.

Well, if President Trump is reelected I believe the gun/ammo business will get back to some reasonable level, if biden wins, all bets are off.

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

Well, if President Trump is reelected I believe the gun/ammo business will get back to some reasonable level, if biden wins, all bets are off.

I think we're in for a dry spell. I'll be busy loading this winter.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, AuEagle said:

I think if Trump is re-elected the left will double down on their craziness. They have been emboldened by what they’ve gotten away with the last 4 years. Now, they’re going to be even angrier. So, I expect the market to remain unchanged for some time. Plan accordingly.

Edited by Pickaroon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator

In general terms, I do not expect the current retail climate to change much at all for the remainder of the year.  The whole thing is rather complicated and multi-faceted.

Ammunition:  This is equal parts a supply issue, a demand issue and retailers taking advantage of the situation.  Primers are in short supply, so there is already a constraint on availability at the component level.  This naturally causes prices to increase at a wholesale level.  Completed ammunition is increasingly in shorter supply, but I know for an absolute fact that you can still buy 9mm FMJ from the wholesale channel for around 22-cents per round because I recently brokered the sale of approximately 52,000 rounds of 9mm and 5.56 NATO ammunition for a small group of individuals.  I could go on an absolute tear about this but I am going to refrain for now.

Retailers who are charging exorbitant sums for 9mm FMJ should be taken note of and remembered when this settles.

One caliber that I can attest to being much more expensive today than it was in February, at wholesale and retail pricing, is 300 Blackout.  The price on that shiz is nuts.  If you have it, I'd be sitting on it and not shooting it unless I had to right now.

Black Rifle Parts:  Whole, mass-produced AR-15 pattern rifles are still easy to come by thanks to the absolute glut of them that were produced over the last 10 years.  Pricing on them hasn't changed a whole lot.  Boutique rifles and component parts are a different story, and those go hand in hand anyway.  I don't see this changing until after the election and maybe even beyond that.  Supply needs to catch up to the demand.

Manufacturers like Aero Precision, Bravo Company Machine, Rosco Manufacturing, Ballistic Advantage, Midwest Gun Works, etc. are all still releasing product albeit in small batches that get cleaned out almost immediately.  You can thank social media for that.  As soon as barrels, uppers, lowers, handguards, etc. hit these manufacturer's web stores or the web stores of the retail channel, it gets posted by the likes of MrGunsNGear on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. or it makes the headlines on Reddit and major national forums.

People are cleaning-out supply as soon as it hits.  And while I guess that's nice if it means that there are more armed citizens exercising their Second Amendment rights than ever ( aka "a rising tide raises all ships") there is a pessimistic side of me that thinks there are a lot of parts that will never be used sitting in personal caches.  I hope I am wrong.

Handguns:  You can still buy pretty much any handgun you want right now, but in some cases you may have to wait a few weeks to find the exact variation you are searching for.  Also, this is legitimately the only time that I can remember wherein Glocks were seriously selling for MSRP.

Nine or ten months ago, at the very most, you could buy a new Gen 5 Glock 19 for $525.  These days you're probably going to pay closer to $600 and you might have to wait while your local retailer orders it for you from Lipseys, RSR, Sports South, etc.  I blame this entirely on the number of people who are buying handguns to protect themselves for the first time ever because of the current political and social climate and social turmoil.

I hope that those people (a.) get training, (b.) own them responsibly, and (c.) keep them beyond 2021 and become advocates for the 2A now that they understand why it matters.

I am obviously glazing over other areas of the gun industry right now, but these are the things most people are noticing the effects of and maybe wondering what the hell is driving it all.  The ammunition and shortage of AR parts are the things that annoy me the most, presently, for the reasons I mentioned.   🙂

• Like 13
4 hours ago, Pickaroon said:

I think if Trump is re-elected the left will double down on their craziness. They have been emboldened by what they’ve gotten away with the last 4 years. If Trump is re-elected, they’re going to be even angrier. If Biden wins, they will seize the moment and go for it legislatively. So, I expect the market to remain unchanged for some time. Plan accordingly.

I restated what I said above

Edited by Pickaroon

Its circular. You have first timers and you have speculators. The regular user is crushed by both, but probably more so the speculators. Speculators start drying up sources as demand from first timers rise. 

I have empathy for first timers, I have much annoyance from speculators. The good part is watching the speculators trying to unload after the tide subsides. Main reason I want the tide to end is so I can start negotiating with speculators on their cache of drawer parts they overpaid for hoping to turn a huge profit. Those are the best most pleasing deals! 😊

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I figure either way it goes, January will see lots of lightly used guns and ammo for sale as Christmas credit card bills come due. 

I feel bad for Newbies too because I can sympathize. I got back in to shooting and bought a .22lr a couple months before the great .22 drought.  Luckily I had been picking up 4 or 5 50 rnd boxes every time I stopped in Wal-Mart. I still felt a bit panicked since that was the only rifle I had and my awareness of preparations I needed to have on hand had began to peak. So I did what I always do, I scrounged. I found places to buy ammo that were off the beaten path and ways to find it in stock before it sold out. Now is a different story. Lots of retailers are not even listing the stock on hand in stores. So unless you can stop by physically before it sells out, you are out of luck. For us working stiffs, that is harder to do.

Things must not be so bad though. There were 40 boxes of 5.56 Hornady Black on the Academy shelf the other day. Or maybe it was the $17.99 per 20 round price tag that was keeping it glued to the shelf. lol

• Like 1

Seems like firearm prices aren't really too bad as long as you don't want a Glock 9mm or an AK pattern rifle/pistol.

For some reason, I've been contacted by several people asking if I knew where they could buy an AR pistol.   Guess they all saw the same YT video.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

Seems like firearm prices aren't really too bad as long as you don't want a Glock 9mm or an AK pattern rifle/pistol.

For some reason, I've been contacted by several people asking if I knew where they could buy an AR pistol.   Guess they all saw the same YT video.

People are scrambling to pick up AR pistols and pistol braces because they think the ATF is going to do to them what they did to bump stocks.

Buying that stuff in a panic makes no sense, because *IF* the ATF screws us all over on this, you're either going to register it as an NFA item and might as well put a real stock on it, or you're going to hide it away and risk being charged with a felony if ever caught using it.

The ATF needs to be done away with.

• Like 13
22 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I'm not sure what the MSRP is on the Gen 5 G22 MOS but I don't think its $825.

Gunbroker may drive you nuts at times, but its a great barometer of supply and buyer demand. Glock, unless they are hard to find versions, have come down considerably in the last 4 to 6 weeks. Glock USA has pumped a large number of 9mm models out there based on dealers listing multiple units in BIN auctions near almost normal prices. I'd posit that speculators who have seen the market adjust on GB are hitting the other sites hoping locals may not shop GB, since basic research would preclude someone from overpaying with available supply.

2 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I figure either way it goes, January will see lots of lightly used guns and ammo for sale as Christmas credit card bills come due.

^^^ 

Especially if we see something of a political miracle come to realization next week. Fingers crossed.

Irrespective of the political outcome, it appears the media is pumping up fear around reinfection rates. 

If we want to solve the current issues, we need to ban the media and social media to some extent. Both are primary drivers and misinformation, as in Davids point on braces, are influencing behavior as only those in the know still based decisions on better judgement.

2 hours ago, TGO David said:

People are scrambling to pick up AR pistols and pistol braces because they think the ATF is going to do to them what they did to bump stocks.

Buying that stuff in a panic makes no sense, because *IF* the ATF screws us all over on this, you're either going to register it as an NFA item and might as well put a real stock on it, or you're going to hide it away and risk being charged with a felony if ever caught using it.

The ATF needs to be done away with.

I suppose people like that are thinking of some sort of grandfathered provision like the one in the '94 AWB allowing you to keep pre-ban weapons.    I doubt the ATF will ever bother with that; they have no oversight or public opinion to worry about.   Judging by some recent hints, pistols in rifle calibers may be banned entirely, along with braces too.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I suppose people like that are thinking of some sort of grandfathered provision like the one in the '94 AWB allowing you to keep pre-ban weapons.    I doubt the ATF will ever bother with that; they have no oversight or public opinion to worry about.   Judging by some recent hints, pistols in rifle calibers may be banned entirely, along with braces too.

The ATF really has no power to legislate, which is what the people keep letting them do.  The people enable this sort of thing by not firing the politicians that can actually affect the way the ATF functions.  The whole thing is a sickening political Human Centipede.

I wouldn't hold my breath on grandfathered anything from the ATF either.  They could have made some money on tax stamps by turning "bump stocks" into an NFA item but didn't.  They went straight for the kill on that and could likely do the same here.

I've been predicting this for the past few years.  Friends probably thought I was crazy or that it was far-fetched, but I've been repeatedly telling people that the way the government could really kill the modern sporting rifle is to declare it a non-transferrable NFA item.  Within a few decades, few people would be left alive to legally own one.  Within a generation or two, it'll be all over.

• Like 3