A lot of "scalping" going on with pistols

tercel89

Just write in Pat Buchanan and move on. At least we’re a red state but not smart enough to get fresh blood in the fight. Only hope is 3rd party, but enough won’t step out of line to help so career politicians win

Back to topic.

MarksmanTV ??  Anyone watch. He commented pricing was up about 5% and all the markup is happening on the retail floor.  If you don’t have it, panic. Harris = panic.  Everyone else remain calm.  

• Like 1
  • Administrator
On 11/11/2020 at 7:30 PM, ohell said:

Just wBack to topic.

MarksmanTV ??  Anyone watch. He commented pricing was up about 5% and all the markup is happening on the retail floor.  If you don’t have it, panic. Harris = panic.  Everyone else remain calm.  

Exactly what I've been saying.  🙂

I See You Ryan GIF by Yellowstone

1 hour ago, Moped said:

I've seen an almost 100% markup at my LGS on the ammunition they actually have on hand.  

Yeah, its crazy. I appreciate the web sites that have the option to “show only what’s in stock”. Of course all the ammo goes away when you do that, but it saves time.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, TGO David said:

Nine or ten months ago, at the very most, you could buy a new Gen 5 Glock 19 for $525.  These days you're probably going to pay closer to $600 and you might have to wait while your local retailer orders it for you from Lipseys, RSR, Sports South, etc.  I blame this entirely on the number of people who are buying handguns to protect themselves for the first time ever because of the current political and social climate and social turmoil.

I hope that those people (a.) get training, (b.) own them responsibly, and (c.) keep them beyond 2021 and become advocates for the 2A now that they understand why it matters.

I dont go to any ranges anymore... I have seen some crazy shiz like a guy ADing a round through the roof.  Newbie do not need striker fired guns with no external safety.  Far be it from me to tell anyone they should not own a gun.....but I am telling you now with the stories I have heard from my friends and some of what I have witnessed.......some people should not own a gun.

I am blessed to work for accompany that gives me access to rock quarries so I can shoot any distance I please any time I want.  

Edited by Krull
1 hour ago, Krull said:

I dont go to any ranges anymore... I have seen some crazy shiz like a guy ADing a round through the roof.  Newbie do not need striker fired guns with no external safety. 

Striker guns with no safety is NOT the issue.  There are plenty of videos of people shooting themselves or having an ND with 1911s and revolvers and whatever else.   

Also, what you witnessed was an ND, not an AD.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Krull said:

Newbie do not need striker fired guns with no external safety. 

I would disagree.  If a newbie is not competent enough to handle a striker fired gun, they probably shouldn’t handle anything without supervision or training.  All the safety gadgets in the world don’t matter if the user won’t keep his finger off the trigger.  

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Striker guns with no safety is NOT the issue.  There are plenty of videos of people shooting themselves or having an ND with 1911s and revolvers and whatever else.   

Also, what you witnessed was an ND, not an AD.  

So we agree.....despite all the talk about constitutional right some people do not need to own guns.  

3 minutes ago, Krull said:

So we agree.....despite all the talk about constitutional right some people do not need to own guns.  

I've never said otherwise.   Gun handling is not for everyone.   But just because some people shouldn't own them, doesn't mean that they don't still have that right.  

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I've never said otherwise.   Gun handling is not for everyone.   But just because some people shouldn't own them, doesn't mean that they don't still have that right.  

I hear you.... I agree with everything you said however I think people have to start somewhere and in my OPINION striker fired guns with no safety's are not for beginning gun owners nor would a 1911 or Highpower etc.  This is MY opinion.  As a matter of fact I have been shooting and hunting for 38 years and caught myself walking through the woods last year with my SBE3 safety off looking for a downed Pintail that fell out of the water.  Total boneheaded move that I seriously had nightmares over.  Complacency is a killer.  Pretty sure if we were all honest we have done something stupid even with experience.

Edited by Krull
1 minute ago, Krull said:

I hear you.... I agree with everything you said however I think people have to start somewhere and in my OPINION striker fired guns with no safety's are not for beginning gun owners nor would a 1911 or Highpower etc.  This is MY opinion.  As a matter of fact I have been shooting and hunting for 38 years and caught myself walking through the woods last year with my SBE3 safety off looking for a downed Pintail that fell out of the water.  Total boneheaded move that I seriously had nightmares over.  Complacency is a killer.

Do you ever do work as a firearms instructor?  I do.  I work with complete and total beginners.  It is my experience that it is much easier to work with them when you are using Glock style pistols.   You are removing as many "complications" from the equation as possible.  It simplifies the process for them and helps to put their mind at ease.  We don't do any work with fully loaded magazines.  The thing is, you have to teach safety from the get go.  Its the first thing we cover in a class and the last thing we talk about as we part ways.  

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Do you ever do work as a firearms instructor?  I do.  I work with complete and total beginners.  It is my experience that it is much easier to work with them when you are using Glock style pistols.   You are removing as many "complications" from the equation as possible.  It simplifies the process for them and helps to put their mind at ease.  We don't do any work with fully loaded magazines.  The thing is, you have to teach safety from the get go.  Its the first thing we cover in a class and the last thing we talk about as we part ways.  

I have but not with newbies.  I work with a facility in WVA ran by Pat Goodale near Greenbrier and witnessed a sheriffs deputy shoot herself in the inner thigh while putting her g22 in her belt pouch. I witnessed a CIA agent shoot the through the dashboard of his car while  un-holstering his Sig after sitting down. Opinions vary but unfortunately the argument about who should have a gun and who should not isn't answered until after a tragedy.

Edited by Krull
6 minutes ago, Krull said:

I have but not with newbies.  I work for a facility in WVA and witnessed a sheriffs deputy shoot herself in the inner thigh while putting her g22 in her belt pouch. I witnessed a CIA agent shoot the through the dashboard of his car while  un-holstering his Sig after sitting down. Opinions vary but unfortunately the argument about who should have a gun and who should not isn't answered until after a tragedy.

I’ve trained a few shooters and shoot competitively pretty seriously.  I’m pro-LEO AND support the cops, but don’t get me started on the lousy gun handling incompetence/shooting skills I’ve seen from police officers.  Not all of them, but a significant portion of them make me cringe. I wish they used more ammo and time at the academy and had a more rigorous annual qualification.   The LEOs you mentioned ignored the basics—booger hook off the bang switch til you’re ready to shoot.  This is more important than any manual safety, heavy trigger, etc.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, deerslayer said:

I’ve trained a few shooters and shoot competitively pretty seriously.  I’m pro-LEO AND support the cops, but don’t get me started on the lousy gun handling incompetence/shooting skills I’ve seen from police officers.  Not all of them, but a significant portion of them make me cringe. I wish they used more ammo and time at the academy and had a more rigorous annual qualification.   

Fact -- I see them a lot at PGPFT when I am up there.  That was just the start of what I could tell you.

8 minutes ago, Krull said:

I have but not with newbies.  I work with a facility in WVA ran by Pat Goodale near Greenbrier and witnessed a sheriffs deputy shoot herself in the inner thigh while putting her g22 in her belt pouch. I witnessed a CIA agent shoot the through the dashboard of his car while  un-holstering his Sig after sitting down. Opinions vary but unfortunately the argument about who should have a gun and who should not isn't answered until after a tragedy.

Unfortunately, those are just more examples of negligence.   I also agree with what Deerslayer said below.  

2 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I’ve trained a few shooters and shoot competitively pretty seriously.  I’m pro-LEO AND support the cops, but don’t get me started on the lousy gun handling incompetence/shooting skills I’ve seen from police officers.  Not all of them, but a significant portion of them make me cringe. I wish they used more ammo and time at the academy and had a more rigorous annual qualification.   

I don't know what their training entails and I'm not sure if that's the problem, ego is the problem or if it goes back to that complacency thing.  Or if all three come into play.  The DEA agent that shot his foot in the classroom, it was an ego thing.  But I don't know.   I know that a lot of them need to take it more seriously.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

The DEA agent that shot his foot in the classroom, it was an ego thing.  But I don't know.  

Bingo

"simply owning a gun imparts neither knowledge or skill regarding its use.  Only study and focused training can provide real capability"  Pat Goodale

Edited by Krull
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Unfortunately, those are just more examples of negligence.   I also agree with what Deerslayer said below.  

I don't know what their training entails and I'm not sure if that's the problem, ego is the problem or if it goes back to that complacency thing.  Or if all three come into play.  The DEA agent that shot his foot in the classroom, it was an ego thing.  But I don't know.   I know that a lot of them need to take it more seriously.  

Ego is often a factor.  We have LEOs occasionally come shoot USPSA or IDPA and the thinly veiled attitude is sometimes “I’m about to show ya’ll how this is done.”  Them they get their asses handed to them and never come back.  The LEO/tactical community sometimes writes off competitive shooting as irrelevant because the targets don’t shoot back, etc.  But I’ve heard cop after cop comment after sh*tting the bed on their first ever USPSA stage “I’m not used to being on a timer with people watching.”  If a little artificial match stress makes a cop’s brain turn to jelly, how will they resct in a real fight?

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Ego is often a factor.  We have LEOs occasionally come shoot USPSA or IDPA and the thinly veiled attitude is sometimes “I’m about to show ya’ll how this is done.”  Them they get their asses handed to them and never come back.  The LEO/tactical community sometimes writes off competitive shooting as irrelevant because the targets don’t shoot back, etc.  But I’ve heard cop after cop comment after sh*tting the bed on their first ever USPSA stage “I’m not used to being on a timer with people watching.”  If a little artificial match stress makes a cop’s brain turn to jelly, how will they resct in a real fight?

This is so true....but i know some LEO officers and agents that could shoot my d987 in the dirt and im a pretty damn good! Much respect to LEO.