Walmart Pulls Guns, Ammo Displays in U.S. Stores, Citing Civil Unrest

Garufa

“Retailer says move is a safety precaution but customers can still purchase firearms and ammunition”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/walmart-pulls-guns-ammo-displays-in-u-s-stores-citing-civil-unrest-11604002136

Forgot the WSJ is a PITA.  Here’s a link that might actually work:  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/shopping/2020/10/29/walmart-pulls-guns-ammo-stores-over-election-violence-concerns/6061712002/

Edited by Garufa
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Was just in Cookeville WM and thought it was odd that panic buyers bought up all the shotguns and hunting rifles too! Then saw on social media they hid them from looters if Trump wins.

Maybe they know something! Hope they do.

Wow, I was in Algood day before Yesterday. They still had them on the shelves then. I don't know about now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Honestly, it would not surprise me if Walmart slowly but surely exited this market entirely. That said, every local gun store in the country would shout it with glee. 

I agree. Wallyworld will be out of the gun biz soon I bet. They don't like controversy. Easiest path to dollars with the least resistance...

• Like 2

On another board I am on people are seeing the same thing all over. I think it is stupid in places outside normal riot prone areas. 

Basically this just means that it would be EVEN HARDER  to get someone to help you get something. I mean finding someone to help you at the gun counter is like a Where's Waldo normally. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Raoul said:

I of course have to ask....why would you ever buy a gun from wallyworld instead of supporting a real gun shop? Put your loyalty where it counts. 

All depends on how much cash I have on a Walmart gift card. lol  I used to buy gift cards from field guys at the construction company I worked for. Not as many Wal-mart because they could buy beer there, but some and lots of Cabela's, Academy, and BassPro. X% on the dollar saved me cash and turned the card they got from grandma into beer and tobacco money. 

I would have when they clearanced those rifles if I could have found a decent caliber. I do not like Wal-Mart, but me buying things at higher prices somewhere else is not going to make a difference either way. I do not buy enough through shops to make or break a LGS. Plus, I have not ran into any that seem overly eager for my business. Maybe I have just not found the right one yet. Well and I am a cheap SOB. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I do not buy enough through shops to make or break a LGS. Plus, I have not ran into any that seem overly eager for my business. Maybe I have just not found the right one yet.

1st sentence: if everyone thought that, there would be none. 

2nd and 3rd sentences: make a trip to Gallatin. We'll fix that. 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Steelharp said:

1st sentence: if everyone thought that, there would be none. 

2nd and 3rd sentences: make a trip to Gallatin. We'll fix that. 

On #1 I know. 95% of my stuff over the last few years has been P2P sales though. Just where I end up finding the stuff I am looking for. I rarely have time to just stop in at shops and gander at their inventory.  I really wish I did.

#2 - That is quite a haul for me. Probably would have to be an overnighter. lol 

Just saw on Ch. 6 in Knoxville that WM has reversed this policy of removing guns from display during civil unrest, so do that mean WM supports civil unrest???  I saw on the news where a WM in Philly was looted just a couple days/nights ago due to the latest shooting by police, even tho the guy had a knife and would not obey their instructions.  

I honestly didn’t disagree with Walmart for this.  Unlike a normal gun store or sporting goods store there isn’t normally anyone on hand or on guard at the firearms counter 24/7. In places like philly Memphis St. Louis and other anarchy prone cities where the cops just stand down and watch it all burn I honestly think it was a prudent precaution.  I think they could have tweaked their message to just say larger metro areas but I don’t consider their actions irrational just not properly conveyed.

On 10/31/2020 at 6:06 AM, Magiccarpetrides said:

I honestly didn’t disagree with Walmart for this.  Unlike a normal gun store or sporting goods store there isn’t normally anyone on hand or on guard at the firearms counter 24/7. In places like philly Memphis St. Louis and other anarchy prone cities where the cops just stand down and watch it all burn I honestly think it was a prudent precaution.  I think they could have tweaked their message to just say larger metro areas but I don’t consider their actions irrational just not properly conveyed.

You oughta check your self before you go spewing off about Memphis being anarchy prone.   Over the spring and summer Memphis was one of the most peaceful cities with active protests in the entire country.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

You oughta check your self before you go spewing off about Memphis being anarchy prone.   Over the spring and summer Memphis was one of the most peaceful cities with active protests in the entire country.   

He isn't too far off, Memphis is very crime infested on a day-to-day basis, so maybe it just wasn't noticed.

https://www.areavibes.com/memphis-tn/crime/

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 10:34 PM, Ronald_55 said:

Basically this just means that it would be EVEN HARDER  to get someone to help you get something. I mean finding someone to help you at the gun counter is like a Where's Waldo normally. 

I've heard ??..... that if you pick up the phone at the gun counter and have a manager paged to the area, the problem seems to go away for a while. whistle.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
38 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I've heard ??..... that if you pick up the phone at the gun counter and have a manager paged to the area, the problem seems to go away for a while. whistle.gif

I've stood at the gun counter and called Bentonville, Arkansas.  That'll get them shaking a leg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
13 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I will have to remember that.

Of course with the new Gun/Auto/paint counter in one of our Wal-Marts, it is now wait for them to get done with the 8 people checking out at auto so they can go out the back door. Does anyone else have a Wal-Mart that made that counter setup change?

5 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

lol sorry didnt mean to offend...anarchy was probably too strong a term...looting should fit though crime stats for Memphis are quite bad and some of the more metro located walmarts are definitely at risk to "bad actors".