FINNISH MOSINS AVAILABLE!!!

10 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

If you had added this it would be 1599

Hang Tag, Imperial Eagle, & AZF Stamping +$400.00

Who buys this stuff????

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

One thing for sure is Classic Arms is always mighty proud of the surplus they come across. I wouldn’t buy a thing from that sleaze.

Wouldn’t mind buying a Chinese Tok from them, with the trigger safety, but they are pricey, at $350. The Romanian Toks at $219 are the better deal, but they have that damned safety added to the left side. 

9 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Who buys this stuff????

In the case of the M39's mentioned by the OP, as well as Classic's other page of M39's currently available, the answer is collectors. The $1200 rifles are Tikkas.  These are the rarest of the M39's that (sometimes) come to market.  From looking at the rifles listed in the ads, these are the later (1940's) Tikkas, had these been some of the even rarer 1920's dated Tikkas they would have sold quickly for this amount.  The remainder of the M39's currently listed by Classic are SKY models, another relatively rare variant, as well as some of the harder to find dates of VKT's and Sako's.  M39's got a lot more expensive a few years back when Classic bought the last of the Pat Burns hoard and did a marvelous job of marketing them, prices went up overnight by about 30-50% and have remained there since. Also, just as an FYI, there are far more expensive Finnish and Russian variants out there, I watched an M1907 carbine sell for $2800 on Gunbroker just last week - that's actually quite a bargain for one of those.  Unfortunately all my "fun" money is going to another, more expensive hobby now ...

• Like 3
5 hours ago, No_0ne said:

In the case of the M39's mentioned by the OP, as well as Classic's other page of M39's currently available, the answer is collectors. The $1200 rifles are Tikkas.  These are the rarest of the M39's that (sometimes) come to market.  From looking at the rifles listed in the ads, these are the later (1940's) Tikkas, had these been some of the even rarer 1920's dated Tikkas they would have sold quickly for this amount.  The remainder of the M39's currently listed by Classic are SKY models, another relatively rare variant, as well as some of the harder to find dates of VKT's and Sako's.  M39's got a lot more expensive a few years back when Classic bought the last of the Pat Burns hoard and did a marvelous job of marketing them, prices went up overnight by about 30-50% and have remained there since. Also, just as an FYI, there are far more expensive Finnish and Russian variants out there, I watched an M1907 carbine sell for $2800 on Gunbroker just last week - that's actually quite a bargain for one of those.  Unfortunately all my "fun" money is going to another, more expensive hobby now ...

While I get what your saying I would equate spending this kind of money for an ultra rare Mosin Nagant (one of the least fun to shoot least ergonomic rifles made) to buying the most rare Ford Fiesta just for the sake of it being rare when there are about a million better cars out there for the same money you’d waste on something for rarities sake.  I would easily counter for $1200-$2000 there are plenty of other more limited production, collectible, and still fun to shoot firearms out there.

10 hours ago, No_0ne said:

I am not a collector and think a gun should be shot. I do understand pure collectors and completionist types who want these to go in their collection of 100 other minute variations. That is good for them, but for most people these are no better than the first Mosin Nagant I bought a few years ago in an aftermarket composite stock for less than $150. 

Same thing goes for some of the CMP stuff. It is cool and has history, but it is only really valuable for its collectability. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

While I get what your saying I would equate spending this kind of money for an ultra rare Mosin Nagant (one of the least fun to shoot least ergonomic rifles made) to buying the most rare Ford Fiesta just for the sake of it being rare when there are about a million better cars out there for the same money you’d waste on something for rarities sake.  I would easily counter for $1200-$2000 there are plenty of other more limited production, collectible, and still fun to shoot firearms out there.

2 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I am not a collector and think a gun should be shot. I do understand pure collectors and completionist types who want these to go in their collection of 100 other minute variations. That is good for them, but for most people these are no better than the first Mosin Nagant I bought a few years ago in an aftermarket composite stock for less than $150. 

Same thing goes for some of the CMP stuff. It is cool and has history, but it is only really valuable for its collectability. 

Each to his own of course. I've often advised people that if they are looking for a rifle to shoot often, with accuracy, there are better choices out there than Mosin Nagants. These were battle rifles, designed to kill people, not deer. The original Mosin Nagant performed relatively well in its intended use, a simple, robust rifle that could be manufactured in large numbers cheaply, as well as fired and maintained by a mostly illiterate and untrained peasant army.  While the Finns did a lot to improve the shootability and accuracy of the Mosin Nagant, modern rifles like the Ruger American series will outperform them many times over right out of the box. Many shooters today often complain about the ergonomics of the Mosin without stopping to consider that the average stature of an imperial era Russian soldier was something less than 5'6" tall, and these soldiers were often clad in several layers of bulky clothing.  Thus the short length of pull worked well for these users, not so well today.

Along the same line of thought, you are probably aware that many collectors (certainly not all) basically never shoot these guns, and factors like bore condition, shootability and accuracy are irrelevant to them.  I have several that remain unfired (at least by me), I have no idea what the bore condition is on these as I've never bothered to look.  This is of course unthinkable for shooters, however the original question was "who buys these", once upon a time I was one of the intended purchasers of rifles like the ones listed by the OP ...

20 hours ago, Moped said:

Wouldn’t mind buying a Chinese Tok from them, with the trigger safety, but they are pricey, at $350. The Romanian Toks at $219 are the better deal, but they have that damned safety added to the left side. 

Take a fool’s advice. If you want one, get one.....or a few. The supply will dry up and prices will skyrocket. I’ve seen this story play out too many times.

I’ve yet to see prices decrease on milsurp guns of any persuasion. 

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 4

Somebody had no trouble with the price , it's gone . The 39's , 28's , 28/30's are great shooting rifles . I have a hand full of each except the 28/30 purchased from Wholesale between 2003 and 2005 . All have excellent or better bores and shoot like a house on fire . Never seen one that wouldn't shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with the S&B 200 gr ammo . The rifles I bought were not the rack grade stuff that sold for under $200 but were the rifles they listed as their higher grade specials. They started in the $300 range and went up even then . The 39 will shoot right along with the M1 and '03 Springfield , just looks different doing it . The Russian rifles they are built from don't shoot very good , most I've shot are 6-10" high . + VKT = Valmet  and Sako and Tikka have always made top notch rifles .

Yup ! You can out shoot them with the cheap Ruger American and many other modern rifles that sell for under $500 but you are talking about a completely different type of rifle normally bought and used for a different reason . Not to mention the Mosins will have open sights and your Ruger will be doing it's shooting with a scope. Really can't compare the two.

Edited by Eddie Southgate