What’s your favorite lever gun??

70Stingray

I have a Henry Big Boy in 38/357 Mag. I like it and my whole family loves to shoot it. Some earlier models have had problems with 38 Spl but the one I have has been flawless. The one I own  is an older model (6 Ys old) and does not have the newer side gate loading feature. They Ain't Cheap, but lots of fun. 

• Like 3

Statement from Ruger about Marlin....

September 30, 2020

Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama. The Company will pay the $30 million purchase price from cash on hand at the time of closing, which is expected to occur in October.

"The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up," said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. "The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings."

The transaction is exclusively for the Marlin Firearms assets. Remington firearms, ammunition, other Remington Outdoor brands, and all facilities and real estate are excluded from the Ruger purchase. Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities.

"The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time," continued Killoy, "is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."

Additional information will be released when available. Sign up for our email and newsletter list to receive notifications along the way.

For additional information, view our FAQs section.

Q: When will I be able to buy a Marlin manufactured by Ruger?

Once the sale process is complete, we will begin the process of relocating Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities. Sometime after that, we will begin setting up production for new, Ruger-made, Marlin firearms. Our hope is to begin producing Marlin firearms sometime in the second half of 2021. Our intent is to keep true to the Marlin brand and ensure that its 150-year history and great products live on. Sign up for our email and newsletter list to receive notifications along the way.

Q: What are Ruger's plans for Marlin? Will Ruger continue to manufacture current Marlin models?

Once the sale process is complete, we will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities. Sometime after that, we will begin setting up production for Ruger-made, Marlin-branded firearms. Our hope is to begin producing Marlin firearms sometime in the second half of 2021. Our intent is to keep true to the Marlin brand and ensure that its 150-year history and great products live on. Sign up for our email and newsletter list to receive notifications along the way.

VI00zqi.jpg

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 3

Well we have "JM" and "Remlin" Marlins, what's next, Rugerlin?  Seriously though, I am glad to see Ruger buying Marlin.  And as to the original question, my favorite lever gun is my Marlin 1894 .357 18".  Reloading it is a bit tedious, but it can still serve as a formidable defensive gun.  100+ years ago it was an assault rifle.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I bought a Henry H010 45/70 carbine back in Feb. Love it. Kicks like a Missouri mule. Been reloading Hornady 300 gr JHP. Shoots very accurate.

Lately, Henry has discontinued this model, replaced by the side gate model. Glad I got it when I did, not that fond of a side gate. It does still have the tube also. So you can use either.

It's found a home.

I have 2 that sit loaded in the front of the safe that I favor. A 1948 marlin 22 takedown and a 44 winchester trapper. You have to be careful if you handle the 22 AFTER the 44 because it's like going from hugging Elly May to granny 🤣

Edited by FUJIMO
Typo
  • Haha 3

Here my Rossi m92 I mentioned earlier, that my dad engaged the reciever. I did replace the wood with Precision Gun Works wood. It's my kids favorite shooting gun, not to mention mine!  It's as great as a tactical/shtf gun as it is a great wall hanger.

spacer.png

• Like 6

@DaveTN - Thanks, had not heard this. Glad the Marlin will live on with a quality manufacturer. I hope the employees affected are taken care of. Also explains why the 45-70 I want went from $900 to $2900.

I have a 1973 JM 336 that will stay with me til the end.

• Like 1
On 11/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, RC3 said:

I can see why. Hell, even the 30.30 was fun. 

They are deceptive. Just like the m1 carbine. 

The 30-30 is just about the perfect centerfire rifle cartridge. It is only taken for granted because it is so common. It is so common because it is about the perfect centerfire rifle cartridge. It was also chambered in some of the best deer rifles ever manufactured.

Think of that one song. It is a great song, but you’ve heard it on the radio so many times you are just sick of it. It is still a great song. The 30-30 Winchester is that song.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Think of that one song. It is a great song, but you’ve heard it on the radio so many times you are just sick of it. It is still a great song. The 30-30 Winchester is that song.

Lol, .30-30 is the Free Bird of calibers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, pop pop said:

I have a Henry Big Boy in 38/357 Mag. I like it and my whole family loves to shoot it. Some earlier models have had problems with 38 Spl but the one I have has been flawless. The one I own  is an older model (6 Ys old) and does not have the newer side gate loading feature. They Ain't Cheap, but lots of fun. 

Same here, flawless and fun - kids and wife love to shoot my Henry X suppressed with 38s.

I have a few... The very best of which is a Winchester 94 in .30-30 made in 1974. Simply because it was my dad's rifle, and it's a very good rifle. Got some post '64 freckles and such, but it's for the most part in awesome shape and IMO the lines of the 94 just make it a beautiful gun. Let me see if I can dredge up some pics here.

Here's the '94

Lever 1.jpeg

This is an 1892 takedown with the octagon barrel dating around 1922 - in .44-40 of course.

1682539424_Lever2.thumb.jpeg.b96aea9f5c1178eda21010429e799188.jpeg

Here we have what I feel is the best purchase dollar for dollar one could make in the firearms game. A Henry Golden Boy in .22LR

415206538_Lever3.thumb.jpeg.00b4f71e361e92918b0753db0ff6fc54.jpeg

Here's one I picked up at the Appalachian Fairgrounds about a month ago. Winchester 9422 Legacy in .22 magnum. Pretty sure it's unfired.

548493448_Lever4.thumb.jpeg.610118884d40b39468a726382fac3d5c.jpeg

And finally we have what I consider to be my Tennessee deer rifle - unsuccessful as of yet. 😞 But anyway, a Henry Big Boy in .44 magnum. This is a wonderful gun!

345011140_Lever5.thumb.jpeg.750e9f5c307668fc9c15a048c3dd6053.jpeg

But.... the title of the thread, favorite lever gun. My dad's '94 of course. 🙂

Edited by ACfixer
  • Like 4
  • Wow 2
On 12/21/2020 at 9:48 PM, Randall53 said:

I have a marlin 44magnum that is a hoot to shoot! It’s my deep brush deer rifle. I have a Remington 30-06 that I use for hunting fields and clear cuts on my lease, but the marlin is my favorite to ease through the early morning woods with. 

Bullet diameter, case length, and speed of projectile. The 30-30 is a high power rifle cartridge, while the 44 and 45 cartridges are revolver cartridges.

As these are obvious answers, I may not be quite clear as to what you are asking.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Bullet diameter, case length, and speed of projectile. The 30-30 is a high power rifle cartridge, while the 44 and 45 cartridges are revolver cartridges.

As these are obvious answers, I may not be quite clear as to what you are asking.

I think you meant to quote someone else gregintenn. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ACfixer said:

I have a few... The very best of which is a Winchester 94 in .30-30 made in 1974. Simply because it was my dad's rifle, and it's a very good rifle. Got some post '64 freckles and such, but it's for the most part in awesome shape and IMO the lines of the 94 just make it a beautiful gun. Let me see if I can dredge up some pics here.

Here's the '94

Lever 1.jpeg

This is an 1892 takedown with the octagon barrel dating around 1922 - in .44-40 of course.

1682539424_Lever2.thumb.jpeg.b96aea9f5c1178eda21010429e799188.jpeg

Here we have what I feel is the best purchase dollar for dollar one could make in the firearms game. A Henry Golden Boy in .22LR

415206538_Lever3.thumb.jpeg.00b4f71e361e92918b0753db0ff6fc54.jpeg

Here's one I picked up at the Appalachian Fairgrounds about a month ago. Winchester 9422 Legacy in .22 magnum. Pretty sure it's unfired.

548493448_Lever4.thumb.jpeg.610118884d40b39468a726382fac3d5c.jpeg

And finally we have what I consider to be my Tennessee deer rifle - unsuccessful as of yet. 😞 But anyway, a Henry Big Boy in .44 magnum. This is a wonderful gun!

345011140_Lever5.thumb.jpeg.750e9f5c307668fc9c15a048c3dd6053.jpeg

But.... the title of the thread, favorite lever gun. My dad's '94 of course. 🙂

Your Dad's  '94 is Great!!  

However...that 9422 Legacy is my pick. Clean, classic lines. and in 22Mag!

Awesome!

13 hours ago, RC3 said:

What are do some of the key differences between .44, .45lc and .30-30?

On 12/23/2020 at 4:37 PM, gregintenn said:

That pretty much sums up what I was thinking

Edited by RC3
forgot a word