Colt LE AR 15s in stock at Buds today.

I love a good pony, have several.

If someone hasn't seen one of the newer ones, be aware they are not quite the same standard from 2017-18 and before.  If your expectation is that it's like an older one you may have, I'd suggest inspecting the unit thoroughly first. Their changes to reduce expenses in this particular line are starting to really show on the latest models. Ultimately comes down to your reason for looking at a Colt AR vs anyone else's.

Some general observations from hands on. Outside the well known move to laser engraving vs rollmarking, the new 6920's no longer carry the M4 designation, rather simply "Carbine". Some of Colt cage code markings are gone, not just the "C" that went away some time ago. I was surprised when looking at one to find they grind down extension lugs / feed ramps when testing shows feeding problems from slightly off extensions. It was heavy grinding, not just lightly dressing sharp edges (technically acceptable). Previously they tended to rebarrel or replace extensions from what they told me when I called. Also, the new bolts dont have the full machining of relief cuts intended to ease unlocking like the olders ones. Probably get batches from a new lower cost subcontractor.  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2020 at 12:37 PM, Erich said:

I love a good pony, have several.

If someone hasn't seen one of the newer ones, be aware they are not quite the same standard from 2017-18 and before.  If your expectation is that it's like an older one you may have, I'd suggest inspecting the unit thoroughly first. Their changes to reduce expenses in this particular line are starting to really show on the latest models. Ultimately comes down to your reason for looking at a Colt AR vs anyone else's.

Some general observations from hands on. Outside the well known move to laser engraving vs rollmarking, the new 6920's no longer carry the M4 designation, rather simply "Carbine". Some of Colt cage code markings are gone, not just the "C" that went away some time ago. I was surprised when looking at one to find they grind down extension lugs / feed ramps when testing shows feeding problems from slightly off extensions. It was heavy grinding, not just lightly dressing sharp edges (technically acceptable). Previously they tended to rebarrel or replace extensions from what they told me when I called. Also, the new bolts dont have the full machining of relief cuts intended to ease unlocking like the olders ones. Probably get batches from a new lower cost subcontractor.  

Do you have a source (or photos) for the extension locking lugs thing?

3 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Do you have a source (or photos) for the extension locking lugs thing?

It was a rifle I had.  When you say source, as in who at Colt told me that is the newer MO? 
It was Tim, who was there CS liason forever. But he moved on after there last draw down around the time they said they weren’t going to make commercial rifles for an unspecified time.  I don’t have any pics of it,  they swapped the barrel so no point to keep them.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Erich said:

It was a rifle I had.  When you say source, as in who at Colt told me that is the newer MO? 
It was Tim, who was there CS liason forever. But he moved on after there last draw down around the time they said they weren’t going to make commercial rifles for an unspecified time.  I don’t have any pics of it,  they swapped the barrel so no point to keep them.

Just something other than your word that I could pass around.   I was having a conversation yesterday about slipping QC at Colt but couldn't provide anything other than an anecdote and was hoping to be able to share something a little more concrete.   

Well I know, how notoriously bad my word can be, so I dont blame em 😉

While I didnt keep the pics on my phone, it occurs to me there is an outside change I may have the email where I sent them. Of course, if someone is saying they demand proof, I suspect nothing will satisfy them as they likely are blinded by some misguided brand loyalty. I'll check in the AM. 

• Like 1

So it looks like I really need to clean up my email, but good or bad I found some of the pics. Had some of the bolt differences too, in case someone is curious what passes for the bolts current standard. To be fair, that is a contract part, and it was probably farmed out to a day 1 machinist or the cheapest place they could find overseas 😂

I personally avoid posting these on sites just to bash or start something. And I hope any limited personal use offers the context they did offer to address it (the barrel not the bolt) after acknowledging it was more of an extreme, though they now find the general practice Ok on a commercial rifle.  As to close up's, there is no dedicated studio quality AR chamber camera attachment for cell phones as far as I know, so they have to deal with what the magnifier app could do. The purpose wasn't to argue with fanboi's but convey the general issue to the maker without removing the barrel. This is as received. The green paint being from M855 they test with.

On the bolt, noticed the chatter / scalloping on the bolt lugs, and the elimination of the relief cut. I took one of another bolt for comparison when a friend was asking for parts advise. Use to be you would buy Colt bolts for other rifles, but I would pass on the new ones unless they go back to whoever their supplier was before the new hot mess.

C01.jpg

C02.jpg

C03.jpg

ColtBoltNew.jpg

ColtBoltOld.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...