Might be time to take another look at reloading

I’ve never been able to justify reloading based on price.  Could that be changing? Seeing (what use to be cheap range ammo) .223 FMJ at a buck a round or more is crazy.

Then there’s the fact that I added .45 Colt, and may have snagged a 10MM revolver to add to the herd.

I’m just giving it more serious thought, but I still don’t think I shoot enough anymore to justify the cost of quality equipment. I’m obsessive compulsive when it comes to Guns/Hobbies/Tools; I’ll have to have the best stuff. 🤣

Of course, aren’t components pricing going to skyrocket, and have limited availability for the next couple of years?? Or maybe even longer if Biden can keep the fear going.

Reloading components are already in short supply. 

I started reloading some years ago not because of price or cost savings, but because I didnt want to have to worry about ammo shortages due to politics anymore.

You dont have to have a several thousand dollar setup to reload -  you can get quality equipment for much less, and there are many opportunities to satisfy any OCD you might have in the process of measuring case length, working up loads, getting dies set up, etc.

If you want to start, assuming you can find the components you need, read up-  you'll need some reloading manuals, from Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, etc.  I like to cross reference from more than one source. Also check out the book "The ABCs of Reloading".

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Dave, you have waited to long.

Ha, ha, ha… I know. I did not think this election would end the way it has. It’ll return to normal; I’ll just have to wait. I’m pretty much good on most calibers; just added two new ones at the wrong time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Ha, ha, ha… I know. I did not think this election would end the way it has. It’ll return to normal; I’ll just have to wait. I’m pretty much good on most calibers; just added two new ones at the wrong time.

I added just 1, 223/556, been a challenge to find ammo, much less reliable components. I stayed out of that caliber for years, than ran across deals on firearms and ammo. Now I want to reload, gonna be a tuff few months.

6 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I added just 1, 223/556, been a challenge to find ammo, much less reliable components. I stayed out of that caliber for years, than ran across deals on firearms and ammo. Now I want to reload, gonna be a tuff few months.

Yeah, a family member texted me and wanted to know where I ordered my guns from. I told him, but said most don’t have anything. He texted me yesterday, he bought a Bushmaster AR with a low cost optic and 500 rounds of quality brass case ammo for $500. 😲  So there are still deals to be had.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

OCD aside, I reload because its an enjoyable respite for me (in addition to the other reasons).

I put some tunes on in the workshop area, clear the clutter from my reloading bench, and start sizing brass... its theraputic like any mindless repetitive task. I have a single-stage RCBS Dolomite gave me a while back, works great!  Maybe after a few hours work I can point to a couple hundred rounds. Not really cost effective (errr..  wasn't last year). If I've got nothing going on a Friday night, or my Saturday plans outside are rained out/delayed, I've been known to enjoy a beverage or two while running the first 2 dies. I stay sober for charging and seating bullets, but the first 2 pulls are pretty brainless (on a single stage).

The biggest of all the reasons I got myself setup for reloading was the last time politics made ammo pricey and hard to find. There may come a day we're casting lead boolits from scavenged tire weights and making homemade gunpowder (yes, Gordon's got a recipe and loads figured, but you prolly knew that already! LOL!)

I find self reliance gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over. Its not a bad extension to this hobby. I wouldn't get into it for savings (whats the ROI on your budgeted press and consumables, assuming you can even get them?) Someone once told me its not about saving money on shooting, rather getting to shoot more for the same amount of money.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Let me be an ass and say again...

"Say It ain't so Joe!" "Yes, kid, I'm afraid it is," Well, I'd never have thought it."

did you forget Obama?

I didn’t forget Obama, and I’ve stayed in pretty good shape. I just didn’t have any reason to buy these calibers.

I understand if you don't want to reload. But if that's the case you have to horde some serious ammo.

I just never had a reason to reload, but the winds they are a changing. But from what I'm seeing on reloading components; that might not be much of an answer either. Just kicking the idea around.

The next 4 years might be challenging.

I think you may be right. I don’t think this will clear up as quick as the Obama non-sense did, but I hope I am wrong. Obama pretended to not want to violate the 2nd amendment, even though that’s exactly what he wanted to do. Biden makes no bones about it; he is crystal clear. Now it seems they think they may be able to take the Senate and have full control.

As long as the state of Tennessee sticks we us; we may make it though this. If the state turns on us; anything can happen.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

As long as the state of Tennessee sticks we us; we may make it though this. If the state turns on us; anything can happen.

Well no ones more trustworthy than a politician. Of any stripe...

Worst case scenario is to be frugal and when this passes....and it will, take advantage of all those guys who want to get rid of their loading stuff. And let me add you can't beat a Rock chucker. They always go for cheap after a Crises. I've got 3. Lol

• Like 3

Just start accumulating the items needed like a press, dies, powder, etc., as opportunities present themselves.  I pick up components when I see them, whether I need them or not, as a "just in case" there is another shortage.  I can load up rounds for every caliber I've got but not like I did a year ago.  I think a bit more about the end goal/results a bit more now since components are harder to find, but I still go to the range 2x/week for the most part.  Reloading is also something to do on rainy days during the summer, or those crappy winter days when you don't want/need to get out, you have something do if you so desire.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You don't reload to save money. You reload so you can shoot more.

Sadly, reloading components pricing and availability usually follows pricing and availability of loaded ammunition.

Although I will say that you can save money if you don't count your labor. Another trick is to get a comprehensive load book. You'd be surprised how many powders you can use.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Although I will say that you can save money if you don't count your labor. Another trick is to get a comprehensive load book. You'd be surprised how many powders you can use.

Theoretically, you can save money reloading, but in reality, has anybody ever actually done it?

24 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Theoretically, you can save money reloading, but in reality, has anybody ever actually done it?

Yeah the numbers add up for me. I just figure the labor is the same as shooting because I load at times the weather sucks. Also buying powder in large containers. 

Bottom line is either you want to be more self sufficient or you want to be dependent on Wal-Mart. All I know is I don't ever pay much attention to ammo prices. And let me add that I shoot every week. 

1 minute ago, Raoul said:

Yeah the numbers add up for me. I just figure the labor is the same as shooting because I load at times the weather sucks. Also buying powder in large containers. 

Bottom line is either you want to be more self sufficient or you want to be dependent on Wal-Mart. All I know is I don't ever pay much attention to ammo prices. And let me add that I shoot every week. 

I don’t save money...I just get to shoot more.

• Like 1

Reefermac came up with the word I've been looking for for years. I put some tunes on in the workshop area, clear the clutter from my reloading bench, and start sizing brass... its therapeutic like any mindless repetitive task.

After a bad day at work, and after the three S's, I head for the loading room and pound out a few hundred rounds, Works great both for my nerves and for the ammo cabinet.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Ray Z said:

Reefermac came up with the word I've been looking for for years. I put some tunes on in the workshop area, clear the clutter from my reloading bench, and start sizing brass... its therapeutic like any mindless repetitive task.

After a bad day at work, and after the three S's, I head for the loading room and pound out a few hundred rounds, Works great both for my nerves and for the ammo cabinet.

And with the way things are currently a little Zen reloading is a good thing...

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Yes, I have.  I shoot about 10,000 rounds of .40 a year in USPSA competition and load it for 12 cents/round.  Making 400 rounds in an hour is worth the trouble to me.  Saving money, tuning my load, and having what I need when I need it are why I reload.  

• Like 3