What kind of cat is this?

My game cam captured this critter walking beside my driveway a couple of nights ago. I've seen bobcat here, and at first glance I figured this was a bobcat, but look at the tail!  I've seen several cougar in the wild, and it appears that this guy has that distinctive black muzzle of a cougar, but look at that tail!

Is it a mutant bobcat with a giant tail?  Possible a second cat behind the first?  A second (much poorer) photo only shows one animal, and I'd take that for a racoon. But the first pic sure doesn't look like a coon to me.

Thanks!

cat.JPG

Edited by Darrell

Thanks guys!  Fox didn't even occur to me.  I appreciate the input from the experts!

Once in the early morning (back in WA) I saw a litter of red fox kits playing in a field. I stopped my motorcycle and whistled at them, and to my surprise the came toward me! I realized that I'd made a mistake, fox shouldn't think people are their friends, so I waved my arms and yelled as scared them away.  That was a very cool experience!

We have a Fox that runs around our neighborhood (in the city) like he owns the place. Been around for a few months. Sets off my cameras every once in a while, stops traffic walking across the street, and openly runs around in the day time. When I first saw him I was concerned he may be rabid. But I don’t think an animal can have rabies and live for months?? He definitely isn’t bothered by people or cars. Cars will probably be his downfall.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

We have a Fox that runs around our neighborhood (in the city) like he owns the place. Been around for a few months. Sets off my cameras every once in a while, stops traffic walking across the street, and openly runs around in the day time. When I first saw him I was concerned he may be rabid. But I don’t think an animal can have rabies and live for months?? He definitely isn’t bothered by people or cars. Cars will probably be his downfall.

We had one in my old neighborhood that would go around playing with people's dogs. Everyone told me about the evil coyote that was trying to kill all the dogs. I was given permission in the whole neighborhood so I could kill the enemy. After about 3 days, I told them I killed the coyote and a cute little fox had started running around afterwards. Everyone was was happy with that.  A year earlier the same people wanted me to kill the cougar that was running around. LOL

• Like 1

I think I must be on his regular route.   I may put a dish of cat food out there and see if I can get some closer pics. 

My property shares a boundary with the Catoosa wildlife area, so I expect to see plenty of critters in the future.

MDGC0086.thumb.JPG.d9bc2a5969a72483f246b4a8e941f1df.JPG

10 hours ago, Darrell said:

I may put a dish of cat food out there and see if I can get some closer pics. 

Not a good idea, you will get raccoons, opossum and like looking for a free meal, neighbor has an opossum issue because of cat food.

On 11/14/2020 at 9:29 AM, DaveTN said:

Back when I was a LEO in Missouri, there was a family of red fox that lived between a strip mall and a small city park where a creek ran though. There were also beaver living in that creek. The damned beaver startled the crap out of me one night while performing a door check on the back of the mall. I must have disturbed the little prick because it slapped its tail on the water real loud making me jump out of my skin! 

Edited by E4 No More
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

The damned beaver startled the crap out of me one night while performing a door check on the back of the mall. I must have disturbed the little prick because it slapped its tail on the water real loud making me jump out of my skin! 

Take up duck hunting in flooded timber.  After moving around the timber during predawn hours a few times you'll get use to it.🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

Here's another animal that I can't identify. The picture isn't too hot, this camera goes to B&W at night. I had to look at this photo compared to another one several times before I was even able to see the critter. It's looking right at the camera, left side of the tree that's on the right of the frame.  Smaller than the fox, I think. There are a couple of other pics that show it just as a slightly darker spot on the ground. 

00000014.thumb.JPG.c217125f68728852476b2698958c2be7.JPG

On 11/22/2020 at 7:58 AM, Darrell said:

Here's another animal that I can't identify. The picture isn't too hot, this camera goes to B&W at night. I had to look at this photo compared to another one several times before I was even able to see the critter. It's looking right at the camera, left side of the tree that's on the right of the frame.  Smaller than the fox, I think. There are a couple of other pics that show it just as a slightly darker spot on the ground. 

00000014.thumb.JPG.c217125f68728852476b2698958c2be7.JPG

I lightened it up a little, so you can see better.

xpdjAGt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • 4 weeks later...