Southbound

Afternoon.

Currently in Mass, but will be moving down in July/Aug.

I should say back down, was stationed at Ft Campbell back in the early 90's.

Looking for any recommendations on clubs/ranges/websites around the Chattanooga area.  Mostly for handgun competitions (Steel Challenge/ U.S.P.S.A/ I.D.P.A/ Outlaw shoot/ Pin Shoots/ etc), eventually getting back into rifle and would like to give P.R.S. a try.  Practiscore really doesn't give me a lot of info.

Welcome from the Chattanooga area. This part of the state does not offer the degree of outdoor options of the bigger cities outlying areas, but Chattanooga Rifle Club does have some more limited events. And Montlake has started to do IDPA or was going to. Those are your 2 main options to look at. CRC did have a 2 year waiting list, dont know about Montlake.

Good luck with your move! book movers now if you are not doing it yourself. Summer rates are much higher and with the mass exodus' from blue states to the area, the rates are steeper to start.

• Like 1
On 11/23/2020 at 10:11 AM, Erich said:

Welcome from the Chattanooga area. This part of the state does not offer the degree of outdoor options of the bigger cities outlying areas, but Chattanooga Rifle Club does have some more limited events. And Montlake has started to do IDPA or was going to. Those are your 2 main options to look at. CRC did have a 2 year waiting list, dont know about Montlake.

Good luck with your move! book movers now if you are not doing it yourself. Summer rates are much higher and with the mass exodus' from blue states to the area, the rates are steeper to start.

Thanks. I'll see what I can get for info online for those 2 places. Have you tried the Dead Zero Training range?  Any thoughts on that? That popped up in a search, looked waaaaaaaay different from whats up here. Handgun is fairly predominant around where I'm at. Not much over 200 yds. Maybe I'll get back into c.m.p. now that theres an Optics provision. Will have to build something for that.

Got a Pod showing up on 12/21 and its off to long term storage. They'll ship that down flatbed. Looks like I'll still have to rent a truck at a later date to haul all my tools down. House sold, so thats a bonus. Closing on 1/8. Heading down to see a builder sometime March/April, if not sooner. Might have to rent a place for a few months till the build is done. Fun times.

Thanks again for the info.

I forgot about Dead Zero. I am a transplant myself and have not been to dead zero in person. When I landed in 2018 it was not fully completed but the big detractor was the distance at almost an hour and half away.  When I was at my CRC orientation I did talk to a couple members who said they had built it out and were impressed.

Both Montlake and Dead Zero are a bit of a trek for me. If the distance isn't an issue, seems hard pressed to not have a Dead Zero membership with it higher end offerings. I was going to look at options again in spring myself for a distance range and one that had bays for holster work. I currently have to wait for trips to South GA to do that sort of practice.

CRC is only about 15 minutes away so the practicality made it a no brainer. But they do not allow draw from holster (paying for the sins of others!). Max distance for regular use is 300 yds. They have scheduled evens where they shut down the 200 / 300 ranges and go to 500yds. Its a "mature" facility, so its a great test and tune range. Anything less than 25 yds on pistol for defensive practice (no holster) has to be done at the plinking range.  Doesn't offer everything I want currently but I'll keep it as folks are nice and convenient.

Building is the way to go in the current housing environment. That's great! Sounds like you're well sorted and you have some pretty intense couple months ahead. But all good. Best of luck, and again welcome to TN.

• Like 1