.22 LR auction price, WTH!

There's capitalism, and then there's profiteering. I see nothing at all wrong with a guy making a buck on something that's in short supply, but as Biden says, C'mon man!

I'm seeing guys selling primers for over $100 a case. The thing that bugs me about that is that the guy who has primers to sell right now is among those responsible for the shortage; one who went out and horded way more than he (apparently) ever needed. Full disclosure, I've always bought primers by the case and powder in 8 pound jugs. But I shoot it up. I think there are probably guys who bought 5000 rounds of .22 when they only shoot 100 rounds a year. Kind of like buying two Costco packs of TP when you already have plenty at home.  We live in strange times, and I think they're going to get stranger.

Perhaps, like the great TP shortage, eventually people will figure they have enough ammo and shelves will begin to fill again and the primer manufacturers will be able to sell to us peons again. And maybe I'll be one who buys more primers than I figure I really "need". But I won't be selling it later at four times what it should be worth.  OK, rant over.

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Last night a local store had Aguila .22 LR 500 rounds on sale for $29.99 (regularly $36.99).  The rest of their ammo shelves were bare.  Sounds like their marketing/merchandising guy needs to study supply and demand.  

Or maybe their management has a business model that allows for reasonable profit, and their marketing folks value customers that have done business with them in the past, and hope those same customers will do business again in the future.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Things are crazy. I can’t even find .45 Colt or 10MM that aren’t crazy prices. I can understand 10MM, but .45 Colt??
I keep telling myself we will be okay. But I’m not sure I believe myself. 🙃

I have more than I need for years, but I get a bit uneasy thinking about my supply going negative. That being said...1100 308 projectiles will be showing up at the house Thursday. 

15 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

I have more than I need for years, but I get a bit uneasy thinking about my supply going negative. That being said...1100 308 projectiles will be showing up at the house Thursday. 

Oh, I’m set for all the standard SHTF calibers, as long as I don’t shoot a lot. But I added two calibers on a whim and didn’t get the ammo quick enough. Luckily the .45 Colt is a convertible and I can shoot .45ACP, and the 10MM will shoot .40S&W; I have plenty of both of those.

I don’t want to not shoot to conserve ammo, but I think this Covid/Riot/Biden shortage may last longer than the previous ones. But as I said before; I hope I’m wrong.

Edited by DaveTN
Because I can't speel
22 minutes ago, Darrell said:

Or maybe their management has a business model that allows for reasonable profit, and their marketing folks value customers that have done business with them in the past, and hope those same customers will do business again in the future.  

Maybe.  The $36.99 regular price is pretty fair right now all things considered, but the sale is a bit of a head-scratcher.  

9 minutes ago, Omega said:

Makes my casting equipment look even better, I try to buy molds for every caliber I shoot.  My issue is lead, the cheap sources are getting slim.  I may have to start buying old broken sailing boats for their keels.

I have molds for most of my calibers, too, but cast bullets are limited when you start shooting higher velocity rounds. I don't see myself casting for 6mm CM or 270 Wby M.  I do cast for 30 cal with pretty good results, and for most of my handguns, too.

5 hours ago, Darrell said:

I'm seeing guys selling primers for over $100 a case. 

When I was a kid Railway Express delivered a large box to the house for my dad. When he got home from work I helped open it. 50 bricks of primers. Mom didn't like it. He said, I caught them on sell, $5.50 instead of $6 per brick so I bought a case. Our next trip to the gun store dad was talking to the owners. What kind of ammo comes in those little boxes, you have a pallet full. Primers, they come 5 brick to a sleeve now. Can't buy them by the case anymore.

A couple of months ago I went to an auction. One seller had 1 box of 500 Thunderbolts 22LR. I looked it up online, $29.99, I was willing to go $20. A friend sent me a text, ammo and primers are gone from all the stores I've been to today. You see anything grab it for me and gave me a list. I won the bid at $22, he didn't get them.

36 minutes ago, DeepSouth said:

A couple of months ago I went to an auction. One seller had 1 box of 500 Thunderbolts 22LR. I looked it up online, $29.99, I was willing to go $20. A friend sent me a text, ammo and primers are gone from all the stores I've been to today. You see anything grab it for me and gave me a list. I won the bid at $22, he didn't get them.

Sportsman's in Southaven is where I saw the $29.99 Aguila last night.  They were on an end cap.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Darrell said:

one who went out and horded way more than he (apparently) ever needed.

So how would you define how much someone "needs"? Sounds like the ones who "bought it cheap and stacked it deep" were the smart ones ...

• Like 5
8 hours ago, No_0ne said:

So how would you define how much someone "needs"? Sounds like the ones who "bought it cheap and stacked it deep" were the smart ones ...

I take your point, but apparently you missed mine. I hate it when some anti-whatever person tells me I don't "need" a 20-round mag, or a 200 hp motorcycle. It has nothing at all to do with "need".  But the point I was trying to make is that the entire component and ammunition shortage that we're experiencing is caused by hording. Ammo and primer manufacturers say they're operating at full capacity. Every primer being manufactured is going straight to the ammo factories, and ammo won't stay on the shelves. 

So if Joe Blow bought 10,000 primers a couple years ago, but he only loads 500 rounds a year, then he bought, by my definition, more than he needed. Now old Joe sees that those primers he paid $30 a k for are selling for four times that, and he decides to put them on the market. I don't see that as capitalism, but as profiteering. Joe contributed to the current mess by helping to screw up the supply and demand signal, which is essential to capitalism, and then when he sees the opportunity he takes undue advantage of a situation he helped to create. 

I try to keep ahead of my needs of components, too. I sure get that. But I'm pretty resentful of those people who are now selling primers for over $100 a brick or 22 ammo at the prices mentioned by the OP.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Darrell said:

So if Joe Blow bought 10,000 primers a couple years ago, but he only loads 500 rounds a year, then he bought, by my definition, more than he needed. Now old Joe sees that those primers he paid $30 a k for are selling for four times that, and he decides to put them on the market. I don't see that as capitalism, but as profiteering. Joe contributed to the current mess by helping to screw up the supply and demand signal, which is essential to capitalism, and then when he sees the opportunity he takes undue advantage of a situation he helped to create. 

How did Joe help screw up supply and demand by buying too many primers?  He bought them two years ago when they were a dime a dozen.  

• Like 3

Back during Hussein's admin when .22 was non existent. They had a gun show in New Orleans and was selling 550 bricks for $250, also heard of small auction house in Mississippi sold 2 550 bricks for $250 each. Try finding a box of 30-30 cartridges to hunt with. So very glad I started reloading years ago!!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Darrell said:

I take your point, but apparently you missed mine. I hate it when some anti-whatever person tells me I don't "need" a 20-round mag, or a 200 hp motorcycle. It has nothing at all to do with "need".  But the point I was trying to make is that the entire component and ammunition shortage that we're experiencing is caused by hording. Ammo and primer manufacturers say they're operating at full capacity. Every primer being manufactured is going straight to the ammo factories, and ammo won't stay on the shelves. 

I try to keep ahead of my needs of components, too. I sure get that. But I'm pretty resentful of those people who are now selling primers for over $100 a brick or 22 ammo at the prices mentioned by the OP.

I didn't miss your point, I don't agree with it.  By your definition, I'm a "hoarder". I'm not selling, but if I were it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to price my stuff at whatever the current market will bear. When I buy stuff from others, I don't ask or care what they paid for it, my only concern is what it's going to cost me. When I sell, the price I paid is similarly irrelevant to the buyer. As for your "resentment", or anybody else's, that's your problem, not the sellers. When the market catches up and prices return to "normal" (what that actually means is debatable) as they inevitably will, do yourself a favor and become better prepared for the next shortage, which is equally inevitable, as these things have been running in cycles for decades.

As for Joe Blow "screwing up the supply signal", that doesn't hold water either. If Joe is making purchases during a time of plentiful supply, he is in fact helping to drive a market that is already depressed. If we "hoarders" weren't stocking up when things are available at relatively cheap prices, manufacturers might cut back on supply even more than they otherwise would have.

It's always amazing to see how many here who profess to be fans of capitalism and free market economies really aren't, nor apparently do they truly understand how one works ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Okay…. explain what you need. Keep in mind you are explaining it to Biden, Harris, Pelosi, Schumer.

Go…

9Jo1vcs.gif

EqcmKa2.gif

facetious

[ fuh-see-shuhs ]

adjective

not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
amusing; humorous.
lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.