Colt officers front sight

Its not difficult at all, but you do need to know what you're doing and have the proper tool. First you need the correct type sight. They come in two sizes of tenons. That's the part (pin) that actually goes through the slide and gets staked. There's a narrow (early) and a wide (later) version. Looking at your gun, I'd say your's will take the narrow version. As noted in the video, you need a solid surface to put the slide on to the support the blade. Too soft will result in a loose sight. Too hard may damage or scratch the new sight.  I use an old piece of aluminum road sign. I also find it very helpful to clamp the slide to the work table to keep it stable and secure. Once everything is in place and using the proper tool, its just a matter of giving it a couple of sharp blows. 

Honestly, if your gunsmith will, he can do this while you wait and it shouldn't cost much. However, many gunsmiths will put  you in the  waiting line and it could be weeks to get this 5 minute job done. 

• Like 1

Before staking in a sight make sure the inside area where the tendon comes threw has an adequate relief pocket for the tendon to be peaned out to. I used to add a little epoxy to the tendon because you cant all ways get a perfect pean spread to go 360% around in the relief. So where the peen is not full, the epoxy fills whatever the tiny gap under it.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Its not difficult at all, but you do need to know what you're doing and have the proper tool. First you need the correct type sight. They come in two sizes of tenons. That's the part (pin) that actually goes through the slide and gets staked. There's a narrow (early) and a wide (later) version. Looking at your gun, I'd say your's will take the narrow version. As noted in the video, you need a solid surface to put the slide on to the support the blade. Too soft will result in a loose sight. Too hard may damage or scratch the new sight.  I use an old piece of aluminum road sign. I also find it very helpful to clamp the slide to the work table to keep it stable and secure. Once everything is in place and using the proper tool, its just a matter of giving it a couple of sharp blows. 

Honestly, if your gunsmith will, he can do this while you wait and it shouldn't cost much. However, many gunsmiths will put  you in the  waiting line and it could be weeks to get this 5 minute job done. 

How can I tell which one I need?  If got digital calipers but it’s tight in there.

8 hours ago, pssman308 said:

How can I tell which one I need?  If got digital calipers but it’s tight in there.

Its been quite a while since I've done one. I can't swear I remember this exactly right,  But as I recall, if the tenon hole is the same width as the front sight slot, its a wide tenon. If its slightly narrower than the slot its the older narrow tenon. I blew up the picture you posted and it does appear that your gun needs the wide tenon.  

Also bear in mind that the new sight must be the correct height as well. BTW: now would be an excellent time to consider changing both front and rear sights to a better, more visible set . Call Brownell's  tech support line and I'm sure they will fix you up with whatever you need.   😉

• Like 1