Prayer request for TGO member

TripleGGG

9 hours ago, TGO David said:

Somewhere along the line, docs got smart and realized that moving quickly to PT after joint replacement was the key to a faster recovery.聽 I bet the first patient they sold that bill of goods to wanted to punch them square in the nose, but it's got a good proven track record now as I am sure you know.

Hoping for a quick recovery for her!

Yes, movement asap. When my left knee was replaced in 2018, I was really, really scared of the coming pains. Surgery done at 7AM, recovery room and talking(not coherently though) by noon. Painkillers the rest of the day.

I woke and needed to pee badly about 2AM. Two nurses came in and got me up, wanting me to use a urinal. Being cocky and drugged up, I said I could make it on my own. Before I did a faceplant, they helped me into the bathroom and held me up while I did my thing. lol At this point in my life, I've been seen by more nurses than I can count, so embarrasment wasn't an issue. lol

Anyway, I convinced them I was going to just sit in the chair and not get back into bed. The chair was more comfortable anyway. By 7 when the doc came in, I'd stood and taken a few steps. Yes...I did feel a bit of pain. But doing it while under the pain meds was better than waiting and doing it the harder way.

Short version is that TKR went pretty well. PT was hard for a few sessions, but using a recumbent bike to get flexibility back helped a lot.聽

Now my second one in 2019 was a bit rougher. I guess more arthritic bone removed didn't make it as easy.聽

The point is that movement and repeated movement is key to recovery. Don't stop exercising. Don't ask me how I know.

Jamie, as with Steel, a lot of sinner's prayers for you both. BTW, I did learn that any surgery like this is really on both partners. Not just one.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, TGO David said:

Somewhere along the line, docs got smart and realized that moving quickly to PT after joint replacement was the key to a faster recovery.聽 I bet the first patient they sold that bill of goods to wanted to punch them square in the nose, but it's got a good proven track record now as I am sure you know.

Hoping for a quick recovery for her!

And while the punch may still be a consideration LOL, I think the wisdom of early, somewhat intensive, PT and OT are the keys to an early and full recovery. It's markedly earlier (by days even) than when I started in healthcare so many decades ago.

My Bride (lo these 33 years 馃檪 ) is a trooper and a tough one at that. I'm proud of her! She's tackling it head on!

Thanks for the positive thoughts and prayers. We certainly have many of you here on our Prayers list I promise.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Thanks again to our TGO family. My bride and I made it home about an hour ago.

She had a vigorous day of PT and OT and we are both ready for a good night's sleep in our own home.

We are truly Blessed.

We wish you a speedy resolution to your situation @BHunted!

That's great news. I know you both are exhausted.聽 Rest well.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, chances R said:

A lot of our joints are done now as an outpatient; in and out same day.

Prayers for speedy recovery.

That's pretty awesome isn't it? 馃檪 And Thank you.

Unfortunately hers was a "fall from standing" with additional co-issues that had to be addressed. Hers was an osteoporotic inertial fracture opposite her impact side. Kinda like an impromptu bone density study...at least know we know.

She has a vestibular dysfunction/disorder that we were just about to began PT on. Oh Well. One thing at a time.

Thanks again to all and we wish you all a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.

馃檹