Wi Fi issues

bersaguy

I have not been here in a while but maybe we have it fixed now so I can be here more often again. We have a Fiber Optics WiFi provider and the company has been having issues with their equipment and their problems became our problems also. They came out yesterday and spent an entire day reinstalling all new equipment in our houses and so far it appears they fixed the problems. I hope to be here more often now. Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving if that is possible with this pandemic. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Good deal. I hope they solved your problem.

Thanks Greg and I think they got it fixed this time. They had 3 guys that spent over 6 hours replacing the entire system with all new equipment and doing a bunch of testing. This was their 4th trip back to fix it and I guess they decided to put better equipment in this time.

• Like 1

I don't care whose system/equipment it is. They all seem to have issues pretty frequently. Comcast Infinity service. I'm beginning to hate it. 

My secondary box in the bedroom has to be unplugged and the unit reset itself about every 4th time I turn it on.  Every 4th time! It's more dependable to do that than anything else!

Techs can't believe it. No in-person visit yet. I've asked for a new unit. Let's see what happens next.

Hope yours works right now.

34 minutes ago, hipower said:

I don't care whose system/equipment it is. They all seem to have issues pretty frequently. Comcast Infinity service. I'm beginning to hate it. 

My secondary box in the bedroom has to be unplugged and the unit reset itself about every 4th time I turn it on.  Every 4th time! It's more dependable to do that than anything else!

Techs can't believe it. No in-person visit yet. I've asked for a new unit. Let's see what happens next.

Hope yours works right now.

I reset my gateway every month or so, and replace it every two years or so; they go bad. My two main PC’s are ethernet and run about 350 Mbps, but my wifi speeds on my laptops had dropped to 30-40 Mbps, 5 feet from the gateway. I waited until I could get the new XB7 to replace the XB6. When I did that my older devices jumped up some, but my newest laptop went from 30-40 to 310. My cameras don’t lag anymore either.

I didn’t want an in person visit. They just seem to chase their tail thinking its faulty cable; it never is.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I bought my own router. I think it was about $59. It has served us admirably for several years now.

The ISP provided hardware using the combined modem/router tend to be poor on the router side. Lower bands and poor signal strength compared to dedicated router with good antennae design. A modern quality router connected to that modem/router is pretty much the way to go if you want strong wifi throughout a home without dropouts and packet loss.

• Like 1
On 11/25/2020 at 12:04 PM, gregintenn said:

I bought my own router. I think it was about $59. It has served us admirably for several years now.

My son in law that lives in the front house has said that is the system goes down again he is going to go buy everything we need for both houses and set it up using good equipment and just use their Fiber Optics to power it all. My house runs off his house with a Wifi booster at present. I'm glad Tommy knows how to do all this stuff or I would be paying someone big bucks to do it. He started to do that before they fixed it this time but it seems they fixed it. If it happens again he will do it. I'm almost lost without a computer. Other than TV it is all I have to do these days. I have not been off the property more than about 10 miles since March. I do start the jeep and take it for a drive to keep it all loosened up and working about once or twice a month but only drive in the country. Next trip I will go and gas up but pay at the pump so won't have to mingle with folks. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I'm almost lost without a computer. Other than TV it is all I have to do these days. I have not been off the property more than about 10 miles since March.

My parents moved from their house to an assisted living facility. They had all kinds of problems with their TV, phone, and internet. (They didn’t allow them to have Xfinity) I took care of their computer remotely until TeamViewer locked me out saying an assisted living facility was “commercial building” and told me I had to buy an expensive subscription plan to have access. They should be ashamed.

But anyway, I tried to explain to people that TV, Internet and phone is all these locked up, elderly people have when quarantined in their apartments. Luckily after a few months they had an opening at a better place; those people understand, and are much better at solving problems. They got their Xfinity TV/Internet back and have a phone that works all the time. That was major in making a bad situation a little more livable.

• Like 2