TENNESSEE VACCINE DISTRIBUTION PLAN

DaveTN

I saw this on the news. I don’t know where the elderly, mainly those in assisted living facilities, fall in this plan, but it appears they (the highest death rate group by far) would be in group four. Group four won’t get the vaccine until the summer.

I wonder who “essential workers” will be.

All I’ve been hearing is how fast this is going to rollout. You would need to have a vivid imagination to think 8 months for the general public is a “fast” rollout.

A384Kv8.jpg

22 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I don’t understand giving the vaccine to children (who are all but immune) before seniors. 

Exactly! All we have heard is how the kids need to be in school because their rates are nearly zero. The dissenters claim they will bring it home to Grandma and Grandpa. Yet it appears Grandma and Grandpa will be in the last group, getting the vaccine next summer. That’s crazy.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Maybe because children are spreading it a lot more than seniors...? 

They’re not. Not only do they not get sick, they don’t seem to spread it either. If any group should be at the very bottom of the list, it’s kids. My dad who is in his mid-60s and staying at home today because he doesn’t want to take any risks should be way ahead in line for a vaccine than my 3 kids (3y &9y). 

It’s stupid. 

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

They’re not. Not only do they not get sick, they don’t seem to spread it either. If any group should be at the very bottom of the list, it’s kids. My dad who is in his mid-60s and staying at home today because he doesn’t want to take any risks should be way ahead in line for a vaccine than my 3 kids (3y &9y). 

And my 90 year old parents who are in assisted living, quarantined to their apartment. It goes through those places like wild fire and those people are without a doubt the highest risk for death. They should be in the same category as healthcare workers.

5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It’s stupid. 

It’s the government. I thought they were on a path to being on top of this vaccine rollout. I should have known better.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

And my 90 year old parents who are in assisted living, quarantined to their apartment. It goes through those places like wild fire and those people are without a doubt the highest risk for death. They should be in the same category as healthcare workers.

It’s the government. I thought they were on a path to being on top of this vaccine rollout. I should have known better.

Only reason I didn’t mention my Grandmother in a nursing home is that she already had it. It tore through her facility about 6 months back. 

But yeah, you totally should have known better. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Yeah,  essential workers, I wonder too.

Essential workers were defined quite a while ago...

https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/covid-19-essential-workers-in-the-states.aspx#:~:text=According to the U.,to defense to agriculture.

• Energy.
  • Child care.
  • Water and wastewater.
  • Agriculture and food production.
  • Critical retail (i.e. grocery stores, hardware stores, mechanics).
  • Critical trades (construction workers, electricians, plumbers, etc.).
  • Transportation.
  • Nonprofits and social service organizations
  • Like 1

I don’t personally know any first responders that are willing to get the vaccine, and most of the hospital “front line” workers that I know don’t want it either. My circle is admittedly pretty small, maybe a hundred or so people, but it makes me wonder how many similar minded workers around the country will do the same. Undoubtedly some city’s and states will try to mandate it for their workers, similar to how they try to mandate the flu vaccine, but thankfully here we can’t be required to take it. Maybe that will free up some doses for those that it would theoretically benefit the most.

I’d take it tomorrow, no questions asked; I see it as my duty to help end this thing and save lives. So, I guess I’ll be the last to get it.

I would think all front-line workers being exposed everyday would want to take it. But I’ve been wrong before.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, peejman said:

Critical trades (construction workers, electricians, plumbers, etc.).

This where I fall into, repair walk-in coolers and freezers, cooking and baking equeptment at locations around middle TN.

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Essential workers were defined quite a while ago...

https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/covid-19-essential-workers-in-the-states.aspx#:~:text=According to the U.,to defense to agriculture.

• Energy.
  • Child care.
  • Water and wastewater.
  • Agriculture and food production.
  • Critical retail (i.e. grocery stores, hardware stores, mechanics).
  • Critical trades (construction workers, electricians, plumbers, etc.).
  • Transportation.
  • Nonprofits and social service organizations

I guess they’ll all get the vaccine after elected officials, their families, and sundry other bureaucrats do.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

It’s stupid. 

Exactly.

There have been five kids test positive at my daughter's middle school this semester.  Roughly 70% of kids are going to school and the rest are doing virtual.  It's a non-issue.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm not that knowledgeable about vaccines. Can someone explain the reason for not wanting to get it? 

Lack of testing, short term side effects, complications with existing medications, complications with existing medical conditions, unknown long-term side effects in otherwise healthy individuals. There is a reason trials usually takes years, not months.

While not a vaccine, it is similar to what happened with bith control pills in the 70's. Because it was new, the dosage was extremely high. While effective many of that generations cancer ills of the present, we are dealing with now. 30 years later, we now know there dosage should be a fraction of what it was. Every action has a reaction and sometimes the cure in the short term has to be balanced with them long term trade off. 

It is actually good if the young, healthy, and not at high risk people hold off a while to let the initial vaccine run the first course. The trade off for "at risk" with the initial trial is an acceptable risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm not that knowledgeable about vaccines. Can someone explain the reason for not wanting to get it? 

Sure, I will. Because the Trump Administration got it through with Operation Warp Speed, by throwing money at it and negotiating with the FDA. They are afraid there is something in the design to kill liberals; or at least make them see the light.

EqcmKa2.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m not an antivaxer and this vaccine concerns me. We’ve NEVER had a successful coronavirus vaccine. This is also the first vaccine that alters your DNA. Apparently it’s only good for a few months and it’s a 2 step vaccine. Maybe it’s safe. I hope so. A lot of brilliant minds have been on this but the only thing they can’t factor into their research is time. Who knows what’s the long term consequences of this vaccine will be?  Also if you have side effects, or long term consequences you can’t sue the vaccine manufacturer...same is true for all of them. I’m skeptical. 

You don't have to worry about the vaccine altering your DNA because it doesn't.  As opposed to the traditional method of weakening a virus and then introducing it into your body so that you mount an immune response to a specific protein found on the virus, the DNA and RNA vaccines introduce genetic sequences of the virus into your body.  Certain cells then use that genetic material to produce the targeted protein, which then stimulates the the immune response.  The cells do not mutate (i.e., change their own DNA).  There are actually a host of reasons why DNA and RNA vaccinations are a lot safer than traditional vaccinations.

In my practice, I vaccinate cats daily with a recombinant DNA rabies vaccination.  The traditional killed-virus rabies vaccination has a 1 in 10,000 chance of stimulating tumors (presumably due to the additives needed to stimulate the immune system to respond to an inactivated virus).  The "new" vaccine (which has been around for at least 20 years) is much less likely to have any side effects because the they can pare it down to the most essential components necessary to stimulate an immune response.  It is also just as effective as the traditional vaccination.  The same principles will translate to the coronavirus vaccination, and I am hopeful that one day they can make other coronavirus vaccinations for human colds and potentially FIP (a nearly 100% fatal disease in cats caused by a coronavirus).

If the coronavirus vaccination was available to my family today, the only two things I would consider is efficacy and safety.  If I looked at the numbers and saw that adverse reactions were no greater than any other vaccination, we would all four get the vaccination.  Realistically, there will be hundreds of thousands of people around the world who will get it before my family can get it, so there will be even more safety data available by that time.  I am an essential worker in Tennessee, but I live in Georgia, so I don't know how that will effect when I get vaccinated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1