My new best friend!!

bersaguy

I think most folks know I lost Darby to Kidney failure about 2 months ago and I went on the quest for another best friend. I have Kasey and Darby both in urns on my Tv Console. I was limited to finding a new best friend as I couldn't go to the Rescue Centers in person to see the dogs. Well my daughter has Basset hounds and she went to pick up he newest puppy and she called me up while there and ask me if I would like to have a Bassett. The lady had a 6 year old female she was not going to breed again and was wanting to rehome her. She sent me a couple pictures and I told her to get the dog and bring it to me. Her name is Rosie and she is a pure bred female and he book name is Yellow Rose. The move to here from the kennel home was quite an adjustment since the breeder had her from a puppy and she was use to living in a kennel with other dogs around her. She spent the first couple days going around the house smelling and sniffing everything in every room. I spent a lot of time with her and learned that she loves all the attention she can get so I may spend a few hours just rubbing her ears and petting her and she soaks it up like a sponge.....LOL I will try and post a picture of her.

DSCF2459.JPG

DSCF2460.JPG

• Like 15
27 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

Same here, through I still enjoy fur free surfaces.

I read that with no context and I did not take it AT ALL like it was meant....

@bersaguy Good looking dog. The Lab/Sheppard mix we have had just less than a year and is still in full pup mode. Too much energy for me some days. Glad my son is the main caretaker. 

17 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Got one you'd trade for a 39 Smith and some 10mm ammo?😵😂

I’m sorry, but I wouldn’t walk across the street to get an Apple product for free, if I had to keep it. But then, I didn’t offer that little tidbit of information at the time, because that isn’t what you were asking. 🙃

Toying with my emotions on the 39 and 10mm ammo is just wrong. I thought we were better friends than that. 😢

• Haha 1

I want to thank all of you for the kind words about Rosie and yes she is a sweetheart for sure. And as far as the spoiling, that began soon as she arrived here. The vet sent 50 lbs of her food with her and I put her a bowl of it down and she went 3 days without touching it so I had my daughter call the breeder about her not eating. The reply was she has always been a nibbler and does not eat a lot at 1 time. Well, she may be a breeder but I have had a Hound most all my life while growing up and Hounds love to eat. I grew up with Beagles and my son and Grandsons all have coon hounds and they all eat. I had a few bags of Pedigree soft packs left from Darby and I thought I would try something. I picked up the bowl of food and mixed 1 pack of the chunky chicken with gravy in it and put it back down and she ate it like she was starved to death. So now she gets a mix each night and she cleans the bowl every night. I also had my daughter go get her a new dog bed at TSC and I put it at the foot of my bed and added a blanket cause I found out that her whole life was spent sleeping on a concrete floor with indoor/outdoor on it in a kennel house and that is hard on an old dogs joints. I made her a bed from a quilt till I could get her the bed and she spent the first night just sleeping on the soft carpet on my floors and the second night I got her to test run the quilt and she would go on it and get back off a couple times and I told her it was up to her where she slept. I woke up for a bathroom trip about 3 AM and she was asleep on the quilt bed......LOL.  When her new bed arrived it was bright white lined and she would not go near it. I decided to put the brown blanket on it and put a  Milkbone snack in the bed and about 10 minutes later the snack was gone and she realized how good the bed felt I guess cause as you can tell  by the pictures below she loves the bed. So for those of you said it's time to spoil her, I think I have already done that....LOL. I also now have a fenced yard to keep other dogs away from her that run loose in the neighborhood.

DSCF2464.JPG

DSCF2465.JPG

DSCF2463.JPG

• Like 3
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, 94user said:

Good to hear. I needed that. We had Dixie, our 16 year old beagle put down this morning. We have 2 others so won't be a new one coming.

I'm sorry to hear this my friend as I have been through that twice. Take my word for it. Better to go through that than watch them suffer......JMHO 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

We ha a Basset Hound when I was little. The only thing that would get him excited was hearing the refrigerator door open.

LOL....Rosie also can hear the fridge door open from anywhere in the house and she has her nose it it if she gets there before I close it....LMBO!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 11/27/2020 at 11:30 AM, RED333 said:

It is had to take in an older dog, Doug you have a knack for it, congrats to both of yall.

Yes. It is a great thing you are doing. To give a home to any animal is wonderful, but not many are willing to accept the possible risks of older ones.

I congratulate and admire you for this.

I know Rosie is getting a good home and you reap the benefits of love and friendship.

😇

• Like 1

Well I was trying to see if she might play with toys so I dug out some of the old dog toys I had stored and scattered them out on the floor and she nosed them around on the floor and would make one squeak once in a while but never showed much interest. Yesterday she was outside playing in the snow and when she came back in she had a toy she found outside but not what I thought she would like so much. She had an empty water bottle and was running through the house throwing it and chasing it and crunching on it making it crackle. She played with it off an on all day. I was really surprised when we got ready for bed and she went and got her toy and put the toy in her bed and I said now you have a toy to sleep with.  I laughed at her and 3 times during the night she woke me up playing with the toy.  She has been playing with it today also....LOL.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

She had an empty water bottle and was running through the house throwing it and chasing it and crunching on it making it crackle. She played with it off an on all day.

Max loves water bottles! But he sometimes gets them crunching at 5AM, when I take him out. Then he thinks it’s a game when I’m trying to get him to be quiet. So, he’s running around the yard crunching like crazy.

He also thinks that when he’s up; everybody should be up.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Well I was trying to see if she might play with toys so I dug out some of the old dog toys I had stored and scattered them out on the floor and she nosed them around on the floor and would make one squeak once in a while but never showed much interest. Yesterday she was outside playing in the snow and when she came back in she had a toy she found outside but not what I thought she would like so much. She had an empty water bottle and was running through the house throwing it and chasing it and crunching on it making it crackle. She played with it off an on all day. I was really surprised when we got ready for bed and she went and got her toy and put the toy in her bed and I said now you have a toy to sleep with.  I laughed at her and 3 times during the night she woke me up playing with the toy.  She has been playing with it today also....LOL.

When she was younger, Molly would find water or soft drink bottles everywhere. Just loved to play with them. But as she's gotten older, stays with soft stuffed toys. Every now and then she will get a wild streak and just rip one to pieces. Usually when she's bored or hasn't(in her opinion) had enough attention.

When that happens, I'm picking up stuffing from all over the yard.