Sig MPX- Light primer strikes

I just got back from visiting my friend in Fentress County. We shot my MPX for a while until I started getting light primer strikes. I tried Blazer 124 grain and Geco 115. I then loaded them in my Glock and they fired without issue. Eventually I just got a click and didn't even see marks on the primer.

A google search showed quite a few MPX owners saying the tip of their firing pin broke off. I've not had a chance to look yet.

Anything else I should check? Never had this happen with any gun I've owned.

3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

No. It's had a few FTF over the years but never this. I've shot that 124 grain Blazer through it without issue in the past.

Its odd for sig to have issues with regular use for sure. Damaged pin seems to be most likely, but even at that I would think the pin wasn't quite right to just break or bend.

I had an AR firing pin tip break off one time.  I contacted the manufacturer of the BCG and they told me that they had a bad batch of pins.   They mailed me a new one and its been fine since.  Pull the bolt apart and check the pin.   If others are already having the same issue, it's a good place to start. 

I have a Winchester MDL 70 rifle that occasionally has light firing pin strikes. In my case, the lube on the firing pin had thickened, causing the pin to move sluggishly. There were light marks on the primers. I used some One Shot (Hornady product, I think) and everything freed right up. But I've had repeat performances.

I would think a striker would be more prone to sluggishness than a FP, but I have no experience with Sig pistols.

21 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Is your charging handle ambidextrous?

Yes it is. That confirms what I thought. That post with the serial # must have been wrong. Apparently they changed the firing pin at some point and included a spring. I think I'm outside the 5 year warranty so we'll see what they say. 

image.thumb.png.48cd30d607ee3b5ad9842c80f14d9a16.png

Just got off the phone with Sig. The employee seemed surprised to hear about the firing pin. They have completely redesigned the the BCG and firing pin and don't have any spare parts they can send me. The only option is to send back the upper on their dime. Apparently the repair shop has the parts to fix it and send it back. He even said it was an overkill solution to a simple problem. Hopefully the new design is an improvement and the gun will be reliable after this. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 4
  • Moderators
7 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Just got off the phone with Sig. The employee seemed surprised to hear about the firing pin. They have completely redesigned the the BCG and firing pin and don't have any spare parts they can send me. The only option is to send back the upper on their dime. Apparently the repair shop has the parts to fix it and send it back. He even said it was an overkill solution to a simple problem. Hopefully the new design is an improvement and the gun will be reliable after this. 

They redesigned the firing pin? fight club quote GIF

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

They redesigned the firing pin? fight club quote GIF

Ha! Shocking I know! That picture I posted above is what the new one looks like apparently. Mine doesn't have that spring. The entire bolt carrier group is different too. I really wish the would just send me the new parts. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Erik88 said:

To Sig's credit, they had my upper on the way back to me within 2 days of receiving it. They didn't send me a new BCG but they did install a new firing pin with a spring.  Hopefully this one lasts a bit longer. 

A couple of days turn around during CRB is excellent. Good to see someone’s customer service is doing what they should.

• Like 1