Advice on Supressor purchase

I am ready to purchase my first supressor. This will be used mostly at the indoor ranges. I will be looking for one to fit several guns. I have a Daniel Defense DDM4 PDW, a Q Sugar Weasel and a Daniel Defense DDM4 V11 that I will be using. I also have a few threaded barrels 9mm pistols and a Ruger SR22 I will use it with. I believe I am more interested in sound attenuation rather than compactness and weight since this will be a range toy. Several I have looked at and researched a bit are the Q Jumbo Shrimp, Dead Air Sandman K, Energetic Armament and Griffin Optimus.. Seems these are somewhat available, where many others I have looked at are not available anywhere. I know several of you shoot supressed a lot and wanted advise from someone who has been down this road. Most of the use I suppose with be with the DDM4 PDW which is a 300 blackout. Please let me know what you guys think as I will hopefully purchase in the next few days if I can make a decision.

Thanks for Reading

Well,......

You can't run a rifle suppressor on most handguns without jamming the handgun because you need a booster for handgun operation. If you run a handgun suppressor on a rifle, you'll need to eliminate the booster or you could damage the gun by peening the barrel. The jumbo shrimp is a 6.5 suppessor so a 300 blackout is a no go. You should probably call Silencer shop and talk to them. Some of the guys a local shops know what they are talking about and some don't.  

If you're already looking at the Q products, you could always get a Trash Panda for the 300blk and 223. You can find dealers that have them in stock and just get it transferred to your preferred dealer. I do strongly suggest looking at this website ( https://pewscience.com )for actual real world suppressor ratings and reviews before you purchase a suppressor. I am not affiliated with that website personally, but I do listen to the podcast and read the reviews. Like Alleycat said, Silencershop is a good resource but you're going to need more than 1 suppressor considering the different firearms and calibers you mentioned.

• Like 2

Agree you are looking at at least 2 cans, even your 30 cal and rimfire cans will not work for your 9mm.  Handgun cans aren't too great honestly for centerfire, I would stick with your two options and go from there.  

My personal 30 cal choice was a Rugged Surge, I am likely going to pull the trigger on a dead air mask for my rimfire needs in the next couple of weeks.

I have had the Griffin Optimus for about 4 years now, nothing but good things to say about it.  I also just got it back from them last month after sending it in for the baffle upgrade, they are very helpful and have always been responsive when I've asked questions.  I run it routinely on my 10.3" 5.56mm SBR, 8.2" 300 BLK, 16" 5.56mm KAC, 16" 308 LMT MWS, QC9 8" 9mm AR, and Henry 357 X lever action using the taper mounts.  I also use the 3 lug adapter on my B&T APC9 Pro and the booster piston on a host of pistols.

I don't run it on any of my rimfires, that is solely handled by my Silencerco Sparrow.  So if you have any questions on the GA Optimus feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I went ahead and purchased a Dead Air Sandman S as my first selection. From everything I have read, its considered a good supressor, now just time to sit back and wait forever on the paperwork to go through.

Thanks for all the info once again guys....

I have 2 .30 cal, 1 .22, and 1 .45 cans, I personally would skip the 9mm can on a pistol, on a carbine they are ok. On a pistol they seem cool in theory, but in practice they are clumsy. I use my .30 cals most of the time, the .22 is fun but I don't use it much, the .45 one I ended up just leaving it on a .300 black out SBR which rarely gets used. Even though I don't use the .22 much I still think it was worth the cost of admission, it was around $400 OTD (including the stamp) and the giggle factor with that one was worth it.

9 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

Just be careful. I wanted 1 suppressor and I'm at:

1 .22lr 

1 9mm

1 5.56 cal

1 458 cal

5 .30 cal

I'm not as addicted as you are, but I have 5 cans.  I'm trying to talk myself out of getting a 30 cal. OSS suppressor.  I am intrigued with how different they are from the majority of silencers that use baffles.  I very much like the concept of no back pressure for use on my Tavors since the ejection port is so close to my face.  They sure want a premium for their design though.  Although the price is steep, the biggest obstacle to making the purchase is how much I hate the BATFE wait for approval.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

I'm not as addicted as you are, but I have 5 cans.  I'm trying to talk myself out of getting a 30 cal. OSS suppressor.  I am intrigued with how different they are from the majority of silencers that use baffles.  I very much like the concept of no back pressure for use on my Tavors since the ejection port is so close to my face.  They sure want a premium for their design though.  Although the price is steep, the biggest obstacle to making the purchase is how much I hate the BATFE wait for approval.

My buddy just got one back at 4.5 months. I had a check clear 1 day after his so.....

38 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I wish I bought a 30cal instead of a 556 but hey there not that quite with normal ammo anyways..

I never wanted a 5.56 suppessor until I shot my buddies m4-2000. Got a Thunderbeast that week. It's on an 18" gun I put together. It's my go to farm gun. Probably have 15 groundhogs and 20 or so deer on that setup.

• Like 1

Without a doubt a 5.56 dedicated can performs best on a 5.56. Obviously though the ability to use it on larger bore platforms is lost. On my SiCo Omega I change out the .30 end cap to the 5.56 end cap for a ski ght improvement but still a bigger can then had I gone with a dedicated 5.56. 

I bought a .30 YHM Phantom M2 QD and love it. I use it on everything that’ll fit down the tube. .22, .300BLK, .308, .223. Yes it’s not as quite as dedicated .223 but it’s good enough, as Rotten mentioned above .223 is loud no matter what you do. Most of the suppressor use is with .300blk just because it works so damn well. I have a bolt gun and it’s silly quiet. If I buy another it will be a dedicated .22 just because they are inexpensive and will save lead build up on my .30 cal

• 5 weeks later...

You pretty much need one for pistol caliber and one for rifle caliber. Might also check out Rugged Suppressors like the Obsidian 9 for your pistols. Will have to use sub sonic ammo to get rid of the crack. Do that and they are pretty quite. Mostly 147 grain and above. but its hard to come by right now.

Lots of good info here guys.  I should have asked more questions prior to my purchases. I never wanted a silencer, but after I filled my safe with everything I had an interest in I decided to get into the silencer game. 

Many of the silencers I purchased are redundant, and the salesman tried to tell me that, but in my mind I kept picturing my pistols with silencers on them. So I now  have seven cans in jail at the moment. 
I also want the Sig ModX-9 

I’ve already purchased my boosters, fixed barrel spacers and muzzle devices. I’m just waiting now. 

I’ll be asking you guys for advice in the future. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Wow 1