Recommend a multi-monitor computer setup

jgradyc

I've started using TD Ameritrade's Thinkorswim platform, which allows moving gadgets to multiple monitors so I want to do that.

Here's the dilemma. I have a laptop I like... Samsung Spin 7 13" i5-8250U at 1.60GHz w/8GB RAM. Screen resolution is 1920x1480. It folds over on itself to use it as a tablet.

One year ago, I bought (and returned) a nice Samsung monitor because 1) The resolution wasn't good enough and the text looked spidery 2) I had to set it behind my laptop, which moved it a few inches further back and my vision doesn't work well past arm's length. The monitor was a Samsung UE590 Series 28" LED 4K UHD Monitor. 3840x2160 max resolution

So... do I need a laptop/desktop with higher resolution? What would you suggest? I'd prefer stay with a laptop + monitor, but I only trade at home so I could buy a dedicated desktop + monitor. I don't want to spend more than $1,000 total. 

Oh, if it makes any difference, I also have a 2019 MacBook Air that's just gathering dust because I prefer the PC over the Mac. If it's better to start with the MacBook Air, I could do that for my stock trading.

I'm reasonably computer savvy, if that matters, but I've never worked with graphics cards and I don't know if the card in my existing laptop can be swapped out... or even if it needs to be. 

EDITED TO ADD: The graphics card is built in on this laptop. It can't be replaced... not that I'd need to. As I said, I don't really know anything about resolution. 

Edited by jgradyc
  • Admin Team

I think the issue you experienced with fuzziness on the monitor with the Samsung is likely due to it not being able to drive a full 4K monitor well via an HDMI cable.  I think you'd need to dial back the resolution.

If the MacBook Air is a  2019 model - you've got a couple of Thunderbolt 3 ports - and that machine will drive at least 2 4K displays at a higher refresh rate than the Samsung would.

Were it me, and I wanted to keep my total spend less than $1000, I'd buy a couple decent 4K monitors, an external keyboard and mouse - and just use it in clamshell mode.  That way, you can run both monitors at a depth of field that suits you - and you don't have to worry about looking back from one screen at one resolution to the other.  If you prefer Windows to MacOS, you could always install it via Bootcamp and even boot to Windows by default. Or, if you just want a Windows machine to boot as desired - you could do it like we do and run VMWare Fusion - at which point you can just run a Windows machine basically as an app.

• Like 1

I run a dual monitor set-up on my desktop and use a LG 32 (32MP58HQ-P) inch monitor when programming on my laptop. I use CNC programming software with 3D CAD models, its graphic intense. I don’t use 4K. I’ve seen it and couldn’t tell much difference on a 32 Inch monitor. I don’t think you can do a good 4K PC and a 4K monitor for a grand. But I don’t think you need to if all you are doing is financial stuff on the web.

If you had graphics problems with a 4K monitor, assuming the PC you had it hooked to could do 4K, I would suspect you had something else going on.

As far as a Desktop/Laptop, that’s up to you. A laptop these days can do pretty much anything a desktop can do; but they aren’t cheap. The only advantage a desktop has is the ability to change components. I choose a laptop for my programming software because I may need/want to take it on the road. My desktop is a Dell XPS so its fine for most anything.

I got my 32” LG on sale about a year ago for $169. I was going to get another for Black Friday, but they sold out. But, another deal will come around.

Everyone will have opinions on Desktop and Laptops. I quit building my own years ago and went with Dells from their website. I’ve had many, but this last time I needed a laptop and the software is picky about graphics; so I wanted to use what was recommended by the software mfg. With Dell that put me in a Workstation, that I didn’t really need. I contacted Lenovo and they hooked me up with a ThinkPad at a bunch less than I could buy it online for. It’s worked great so far; runs CAD/CAM like a champ.

Good luck finding what you want.

• Moderators

I run dual 32in monitors from a Lenovo ThinkPad X Carbon (don't remember which version) or an HP that has been customized. I have this setup at home and both offices. I run them thru a Plugable USB. I use TD Ameritrades ThinkorSwim and usually have it running most of the time. The pluggable allows me to use either laptop at any location by plugging in one wire. Works very well for what I do. 

Screenshot_20201201-155132_Amazon Shopping.jpg

21 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I think the issue you experienced with fuzziness on the monitor with the Samsung is likely due to it not being able to drive a full 4K monitor well via an HDMI cable.  I think you'd need to dial back the resolution.

If the MacBook Air is a  2019 model - you've got a couple of Thunderbolt 3 ports - and that machine will drive at least 2 4K displays at a higher refresh rate than the Samsung would.

Were it me, and I wanted to keep my total spend less than $1000, I'd buy a couple decent 4K monitors, an external keyboard and mouse - and just use it in clamshell mode.  That way, you can run both monitors at a depth of field that suits you - and you don't have to worry about looking back from one screen at one resolution to the other.  If you prefer Windows to MacOS, you could always install it via Bootcamp and even boot to Windows by default. Or, if you just want a Windows machine to boot as desired - you could do it like we do and run VMWare Fusion - at which point you can just run a Windows machine basically as an app.

When you say "use IT in clamshell mode," I assume you mean the Macbook Air, right?

17 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

I run dual 32in monitors from a Lenovo ThinkPad X Carbon (don't remember which version) or an HP that has been customized. I have this setup at home and both offices. I run them thru a Plugable USB. I use TD Ameritrades ThinkorSwim and usually have it running most of the time. The pluggable allows me to use either laptop at any location by plugging in one wire. Works very well for what I do. 

Screenshot_20201201-155132_Amazon Shopping.jpg

So I would buy the Plugable, buy two monitors, and then I could either use my Samsung Laptop or my Macbook Air, right? Should I also buy a keyboard and mouse and just set the laptop off to the side? Or do I use all three screens? Thanks.

Bare with me, I'm a novice when it comes to monitors.  How important is refresh rate to use a stock trading platform? How important is 4k? I'll probably go with two 24" or two 27" monitors, unless someone can steer me towards a great deal on 32" monitors. 

Best Buy has some 24" for under $149. But I don't know how good they are. EDITED: I'm seeing 32" 4k Samsung for $269 at Best Buy. Looking at Costco now. EDITED AGAIN: Maybe I should be looking at more expensive monitors? 

Edited by jgradyc
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

So I would buy the Plugable, buy two monitors, and then I could either use my Samsung Laptop or my Macbook Air, right? Should I also buy a keyboard and mouse and just set the laptop off to the side? Or do I use all three screens? Thanks.

Can't answer about the MacBook Air as I know nothing about Apple products. I have keyboard and mouse at each location that are run through the pluggable. I set laptop to the side, closed and use the 2 monitors. You can use all 3 if you want to. My OCD goes crazy trying to use different size screens. Lol

• Admin Team

Yes, clamshell mode on the Mac is just plugging it in via the USB-C cable and leaving it closed while running an external keyboard and mouse and monitors.

I've got essentially the same setup as TripleGGG - I just don't need the docking station since my keyboard and mouse are bluetooth connected and my monitors daisy chain off one another - so monitor two is plugged into monitor one which is plugged into my laptop.

16 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Can't answer about the MacBook Air as I know nothing about Apple products. I have keyboard and mouse at each location that are run through the pluggable. I set laptop to the side, closed and use the 2 monitors. You can use all 3 if you want to. My OCD goes crazy trying to use different size screens. Lol

Thanks. You don't have problems with the text looking spidery? That just drives me nuts.

• Admin Team

Not at all. I run two 4K monitors at their native resolution with a 2015 MacBook Pro.

I think the issue you were experiencing with the text was that your monitor was at a higher resolution (4K) than your Samsung laptop could support via that HDMI cable (1080i?).  It was doing it's best - but wasn't up to the task.  I think if had you manually set the monitor's resolution lower, the issue would have gone away.

I don't know what other display ports that Samsung has - I'll try to look at the specs today. I'm more familiar with the Mac end - and the MacBook Air can drive 2 4K monitors or one 5K monitor with no issue.

• Admin Team

It looks like the current generation Spin laptops have a USB-C port.

I'd try plugging the monitor in with a USB-C cable - and of course making sure that whatever monitor you get supports that.

I don't know if you're getting out and about - but if I was comfortable masking up - it might be worth going and taking your laptop with you and plugging it in and seeing the results.

18 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

It looks like the current generation Spin laptops have a USB-C port.

I'd try plugging the monitor in with a USB-C cable - and of course making sure that whatever monitor you get supports that.

I don't know if you're getting out and about - but if I was comfortable masking up - it might be worth going and taking your laptop with you and plugging it in and seeing the results.

So I would need a USB-C to HDMI connector? I have one of those.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, jgradyc said:

Thanks. You don't have problems with the text looking spidery? That just drives me nuts.

No issues with how text looks.  All six monitors are the same brand and model. One I had to change resolution but the others defaulted and were fine. 

This is the monitor that BestBuy rep recommended. Samsung - UR55 Series 28" IPS 4K UHD Monitor (DisplayPort, HDMI) - Dark Gray/Blue

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-ur55-series-28-ips-4k-uhd-monitor-displayport-hdmi-dark-gray-blue/6386391.p?skuId=6386391

It's currently on sale for $259. So, if I buy two of those and and the Logitech - MK540 Advanced Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Bundle - Black for $29.99, I should be set, right?

Oh, I have USB-C docking station already that I bought for my MacBook so I won't be needing that

On 12/4/2020 at 10:41 AM, jgradyc said:

This is the monitor that BestBuy rep recommended. Samsung - UR55 Series 28" IPS 4K UHD Monitor (DisplayPort, HDMI) - Dark Gray/Blue

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-ur55-series-28-ips-4k-uhd-monitor-displayport-hdmi-dark-gray-blue/6386391.p?skuId=6386391

It's currently on sale for $259. So, if I buy two of those and and the Logitech - MK540 Advanced Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Bundle - Black for $29.99, I should be set, right?

Oh, I have USB-C docking station already that I bought for my MacBook so I won't be needing that

Thanks to everyone. I bought two of these Samsung monitors, hooked one to the HDMI port and the other to the USB C port and I'm pleased with the screen resolution.  I tried to order the MK540 keyboard/mouse bundle, but BestBuy said they weren't available anywhere. I'm a little ticked off that they teased me with a $25 savings and when I got to the cart, it said it wasn't available except for pickup and none were in any store within 100 miles. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I could go back to one monitor if my boss would approve a purchase of a mack daddy curved monitor for me.  Until then it's two standard 24" ones...meh.

Rolling Stones.

ie..you can't.....

• Like 1