S&W Shield Recall

Darrell

I saw this on a local news site this morning:

Recall Notice from Smith & Wesson

https://www.mpshieldezrecall.com/

M&P SHIELD® EZ® PISTOL IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE FOR PISTOLS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN MARCH 1ST, 2020 AND OCTOBER 31ST, 2020

Smith & Wesson has identified two M&P Shield EZ Pistols on which the hammers manufactured by our supplier were cracked. In those firearms, the hammer failed to fully engage the sear, causing the round to fire, cycling the slide, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger. This issue can occur in the following two scenarios:

With a loaded magazine in the firearm and the grip safety depressed, releasing the slide (by pulling it back, or releasing the slide stop), may ignite the round as the slide closes, without engaging the trigger. The condition may occur, regardless of the manual thumb safety position if equipped. This may also result in multiple discharges.

With a loaded magazine in the firearm, the grip safety depressed, manual safety in the fire position, slide closed, and a round in the chamber, pulling the trigger will cause the round to fire normally, however as the slide cycles, the next round may be ignited as it is chambered by the hammer failing to fully engage the sear, causing multiple discharges.

In all cases, the firearm will NOT fire unless the grip safety is depressed. While this condition has been found only in two hammers, and our investigation suggests that these two incidents are very isolated, any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential to cause injury. Therefore, we have established this Safety Recall as a precautionary measure to ensure that all M&P Shield EZ Pistols in service meet our design specifications.

Stop using your M&P® Shield™ EZ pistol until you determine whether it is included in this safety recall, and if so, until it has been inspected and repaired by Smith & Wesson, if necessary.

PRODUCT AFFECTED:

This notice applies ONLY to M&P® Shield™ EZ pistols (including Performance Center® models) manufactured between March 1, 2020 and October 31, 2020, and only to a small percentage of that population. It does NOT apply to all SHIELD™ pistols. To determine whether your M&P Shield EZ Pistol is affected, check the label on the box to determine date of manufacture (see image below), and if manufacture date is between March 1, 2020 and October 31, 2020 – your pistol may be affected. In this case (or if you are unsure of your date of manufacture), simply go to MPShieldEZrecall.com and input your serial number, or call 888-871-7114 .

0252AFBB-8236-4CB9-A3C7-9C91BCE63290.jpeg?resize=400%2C300

• Like 2

Wow, that sucks. Thanks for the head's up!

I just had an EZ 9 PC come back for warranty repairs with the trigger bar (it was not always re-setting).

I must say, I hate the Performance Center's grip safety.

____

Edit: Thankfully, mine is not included in the recall. Mrs Ash will have a SWaMPy Christmas after all

Edited by Swamp ash
added balderdash
  • 4 weeks later...

Wife’s 380 is in the recall for hammer.

did the form on S&W site, mailer never came. Email them they apologize, said mailer is on the way. A couple weeks pass and nothing. The other day I ordered a new hammer I’ll do it myself. Sent them a picture of my purchase and told them they lost a customer. We have 3 S&W pistols in the house and there will not be a 4th.

28 minutes ago, Possumslayer said:

Waiting over 6 weeks for a mailer is unacceptable.

december the 22nd they said they mailed it.

december the 30th I ordered a new hammer .

i bet I can guess which will get here first.

Let's see, Christmas, New Years, and a global pandemic. Slackers....

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Let's see, Christmas, New Years, and a global pandemic. Slackers....

I’ve ordered and received orders from midway and psa during this time..... the hammer will be here tomorrow.

they admitted dropping the ball and said they would get right on it?

On 1/2/2021 at 7:24 PM, Possumslayer said:

She’s had two surgeries in her right wrist... also the recoil in the ez series was a selling point.

That really really sucks. Has she tried the glock 43 or the 43x? Maybe even the sig p320/320XL? Maybe try either of those with a a little weaker recoil spring? I like S&W revolvers ok but their M&P series striker fired handguns just don't stack up to the glawk (perfection) problem solva in my sort of iffy opinion. 

On 1/3/2021 at 10:34 PM, JunkiCosmonaut said:

That really really sucks. Has she tried the glock 43 or the 43x? Maybe even the sig p320/320XL? Maybe try either of those with a a little weaker recoil spring? I like S&W revolvers ok but their M&P series striker fired handguns just don't stack up to the glawk (perfection) problem solva in my sort of iffy opinion. 

Ez isn’t striker fired

• Moderators
On 12/3/2020 at 7:53 AM, Darrell said:

potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger.

So...in other words...the ATF is extremely interested in finding Shield owners.

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Haha 2
On 1/2/2021 at 7:24 PM, Possumslayer said:

She’s had two surgeries in her right wrist... also the recoil in the ez series was a selling point.

Hopefully then, the pistol will come back, soon and all will be good 🙂

Bugs aside, the EZ 9 shoots quite nicely; I'm sure the .380 is particularly smooth.

• Like 1

I would like to purchase a 9MM EZ but going to wait for a while. My arthritis, in my hands,  is getting worse and I am going to need one in the future, I am almost certain. Waiting for SW to get the bugs worked out.  

Edited by pop pop

The bugs have been worked out, a simple manufacting glitch which happens in many products.  Especially some much more expensive and long-standing such as automobiles.  The ones for sale on the shelf should be good to go.  To be certain check the ser. #.  I have seen several come through my classes and all fired without a problem.

23 hours ago, Swamp ash said:

Hopefully then, the pistol will come back, soon and all will be good 🙂

Bugs aside, the EZ 9 shoots quite nicely; I'm sure the .380 is particularly smooth.

I’m a fan of the gun! Their customer service failed.

at twenty one feet I can shoot a roofing nail one out of four shots at damn near rapid fire pace. The pistol is smooth and very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot... my only disappointment in the pistol it’self is not a higher capacity double stack.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 10:34 PM, JunkiCosmonaut said:

My 43 is pretty snappy. My G19 is much better for recoil, and probably about the size of the EZ.

• Like 1