Stock traders on TGO

Alleycat72

14 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Consider this your monthly supply chain update. The trucking company I work for this time last year was declining 10,000 loads per week. Now we are declining around 1,000 loads per week. That was 10k loads we wanted to haul, but simply couldn't.

We have seen a remarkable drop from even Q1 of this year. That said, I think we had our best Q1 in company history. 

What lead to the huge drop in declined loads, was it the supply (more drivers and trucks available) or demand (loads being requested is also way down)?

2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

What lead to the huge drop in declined loads, was it the supply (more drivers and trucks available) or demand (loads being requested is also way down)?

Mostly demand. It started right around the time Russia invaded Ukraine and diesel prices shot up. 

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Mostly demand. It started right around the time Russia invaded Ukraine and diesel prices shot up. 

So, less product needing to be moved because the cost of transport has busted the margins (presumably).  That's a sign for sure. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wish I’d have bought a bunch of Bitcoin at about 65k.😄

Seriously, these are the times real wealth is created. Buy when others are selling. Buying will come into vogue once again sooner or later.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Wish I’d have bought a bunch of Bitcoin at about 65k.😄

Seriously, these are the times real wealth is created. Buy when others are selling. Buying will come into vogue once again sooner or later.

That's the best way to look at it. Look at all of these stocks that are on sales!

Who wouldn't buy 9mm by the case if it were $0.05 -$0.10 a round? When the market is down is when it is time to buy. I don't understand people that only want to invest when the stock market is "doing good".

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

ENERGY STOCKS...thats it....everything else right now is just overthinking it.  That being said I wouldn't buy anything til we see the rate hike tomorrow and the markets reaction.  No need to be a hero.

So, you're not going all in on the ARK funds anymore? 😁🤣

3 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

That being said I wouldn't buy anything til we see the rate hike tomorrow and the markets reaction.

Best guess, what do you all think they’ll do? 

With all the rumblings of a 75 point hike, the action today didn’t suggest increasing concern with moderate selling and a big closing uptick. With that and prior statements, I’m leaning status qou. Not as flexible as was hinted.

As much as reactions over the last year have occasionally surprised by moving contrary to the news, should be interesting.

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2022 at 3:04 PM, Magiccarpetrides said:

haha a good lesson in always setting a stop...that was so 2021 btw ;-D

the best investment right here right now is still Ibonds 9.2% for at least 6 months.

Do you buy them through Treasury Direct? I'm on the website now thinking about making a purchase. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

That is the only place to buy them.

I thought so. The website looks like it hasn't been updated since 2005 so I was a little skeptical. I guess that's normal for the government though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
35 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I thought so. The website looks like it hasn't been updated since 2005 so I was a little skeptical. I guess that's normal for the government though. 

Sounds like they've updated the website if it looks 2005ish. Lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Anybody deal wit the Paul Winkler firm? I’ve heard Their  ads on 99.7 . I went in for appointment to to talk to the lady to see how they would handle things,sounded pretty knowledgeable about everything, which I’m not . I know a little , but no expert by no means. Everything sounded pretty good until the end when she told me if I was interested in moving my stuff over it would be a $500 coaching/planning fixed fee.🤔

I have my stuff at Edward Jones now which I’m sick of because they change advisors TOO MUCH.

18 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

Anybody deal wit the Paul Winkler firm? I’ve heard Their  ads on 99.7 . I went in for appointment to to talk to the lady to see how they would handle things,sounded pretty knowledgeable about everything, which I’m not . I know a little , but no expert by no means. Everything sounded pretty good until the end when she told me if I was interested in moving my stuff over it would be a $500 coaching/planning fixed fee.🤔

I have my stuff at Edward Jones now which I’m sick of because they change advisors TOO MUCH.

That sounds fair if you’re happy with what they provide. What other fees are there? Yearly? Buy/sell? Percentage of gain?

I fired my last advisor after about the third time she failed to do what I asked her to do. You’d think she’d be telling me what to do. Anyway, I moved everything to Fidelity and do it myself. It gets done like I want it. Very fair and low fees. I’ve made a ton more money since I told her to go pound sand. It takes a bit of effort, reading, and self confidence on your part, but no one gives a damn about your future like you do!!!

I also do my own taxes. LOL!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

That sounds fair if you’re happy with what they provide. What other fees are there? Yearly? Buy/sell? Percentage of gain?

I fired my last advisor after about the third time she failed to do what I asked her to do. You’d think she’d be telling me what to do. Anyway, I moved everything to Fidelity and do it myself. It gets done like I want it. Very fair and low fees. I’ve made a ton more money since I told her to go pound sand. It takes a bit of effort, reading, and self confidence on your part, but no one gives a damn about your future like you do!!!

I also do my own taxes. LOL!

I think the Charge 1%, that sound right? Is it very hard to get hooked up with Fidelity? I know very little about investing ( except for guns)😃 and would be afraid I’d lose my butt. Although o was doing got with my 401k  at work until Biden.What few choices  we had to put our money in , I’d just look at their 1 , 5 , and 10 yr track records and pick from that.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

I think the Charge 1%, that sound right? Is it very hard to get hooked up with Fidelity? I know very little about investing ( except for guns)😃 and would be afraid I’d lose my butt. Although o was doing got with my 401k  at work until Biden.What few choices  we had to put our money in , I’d just look at their 1 , 5 , and 10 yr track records and pick from that.

No harder than starting a Facebook account. There are several comparable companies. Fidelity is just the one I happened to choose. I wouldn’t say it is superior to Schwab , Ameritrade, etc.

For a taxable account such as a regular mutual fund, I tend to select something like a mutual fund with a low turnover ratio, with an eye for avoiding capital gains taxes. An index fund is ideal for this in my opinion.

For tax deferred accounts, I’ll just look for mutual funds with a long, high yield performance record.

It really depends on what the money is for and your investing time frame. The shorter the window, the more conservative the investment.

Heck! What do you think will do well in the future? Tech? Healthcare? Energy? There are mutual funds geared toward lots of focuses.

These companies also offer different levels of guidance as well as target date funds that reallocate to more and more conservative investments the closer you get to the target date.

I find this stuff fun and fascinating. I understand that isn’t normal.

• Like 1

I have all my IRA and Roth money along with a shared taxable account in VanGuard and all my wife's IRA and Roth money in Fidelity.  Both very good companies and easy to transfer money into their system. Just call them and they will talk you through it and send you all the forms you need to fill out. I choose to split our funds even though we consider it all our money not his and hers because of the all eggs one basket rule. I have considered combining them several times but haven't bothered and if for some reason one has a computer problem or something else that locks me out for a time we have plenty in the other to get by on.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Erich said:

Futures jumped up 350 points in 7 mins this AM on cooling inflation number.  could be a great day for day traders. 

I think it's a bit of a premature celebration, and could be a dead cat bounce kind of thing.

Some of the reason inflation seems to be plateauing comes from the price points of consumer and commerce being maxed out.  People can't spend more, and business can't keep a profit margin if they stay in the consumer limits.  Both of those things portent a broader economic slowdown (ie: a recession) coming up on the horizon.

As much as bonafied recessions can suck, we probably need one to help sort out all the shenanigans of the last decade plus.  The markets need to get back to sustainable health after binging on the Fed's near zero interest rate policy for way too long.

• Like 2