Stock traders on TGO

Alleycat72

37 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I think it's a bit of a premature celebration, and could be a dead cat bounce kind of thing.

You may have misread and ran with a misunderstanding perhaps? The post was specific to  DAY TRADING which is about working the news and momentum. Especially important with so much retail trading in the works.

There wasn’t any reference that long term inflation is done or it’s cause to celebrate, simply sharing action observed and the driver which set up an upside for there short term folks aa I knew there are a few.

I waited for the typical mid morning dip, and did pretty nicely on a 2 hour play. Not for everyone, especially those who think in terms of long term investment.

Edited by Erich
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Erich said:

You may have misread and ran with a misunderstanding perhaps? The post was specific to  DAY TRADING which is about working the news and momentum. Especially important with so much retail trading in the works.

There wasn’t any reference that long term inflation is done or it’s cause to celebrate, simply sharing action observed and the driver which set up an upside for there short term folks aa I knew there are a few.

I waited for the typical mid morning dip, and did pretty nicely on a 2 hour play. Not for everyone, especially those who think in terms of long term investment.

Yup...misread what you had typed.

Yeah, if you're hitting 21 on day trading, or riding the order flows...you're likely to have a good supper tonight to celebrate. 😁

• Like 1
1 minute ago, btq96r said:

Yup...misread what you had typed.

Yeah, if you're hitting 21 on day trading, or riding the order flows...you're likely to have a good supper tonight to celebrate. 😁

Where is a better place than the US stock market to have your money right now?

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

Where is a better place than the US stock market to have your money right now?

Depends on risk tolerance and goals.  Long-term, the US market is where it's at, and that's where the vast majority of my capital is parked.  I just don't think we're done with the bumpy ride yet.  But I've made peace with that.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
30 minutes ago, Erich said:

Yes it was a decent day. Was able to take some good profit. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Depends on risk tolerance and goals.  Long-term, the US market is where it's at, and that's where the vast majority of my capital is parked.  I just don't think we're done with the bumpy ride yet.  But I've made peace with that.

We’re on the same page.👍

Thanks for the clarification.

Anyone riding this BBBY train?  I bought in yesterday morning at 15, sold pretty much everything. I had sitting around and bought more at 25 this morning then bought 25 more shares at 20 this afternoon. A lot of projections that this will be hitting $200 to $300 per share.  Same deal as the AMC and GameStop situation a while back.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Anyone riding this BBBY train?  I bought in yesterday morning at 15, sold pretty much everything. I had sitting around and bought more at 25 this morning then bought 25 more shares at 20 this afternoon. A lot of projections that this will be hitting $200 to $300 per share.  Same deal as the AMC and GameStop situation a while back.  

I dipped my toes in at $25.00 and 4 shares. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I was in at $11.15 and sold out at $22.40.  Very glad after Cohen's filing. 

3 hours ago, btq96r said:

Jake Freeman made himself 110 million at 20 years old.  He'll likely spend the next 50 years wearing a suit and attending business meetings.  If I had come into that kind of money at 20 I would have likely been found dead before 30 on my private island wearing a pair of cargo shorts and not owning a shirt. 

• Haha 3
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

Jake Freeman made himself 110 million at 20 years old.  He'll likely spend the next 50 years wearing a suit and attending business meetings.  If I had come into that kind of money at 20 I would have likely been found dead before 30 on my private island wearing a pair of cargo shorts and not owning a shirt. 

This is true but he only had 27 million to start with.

47 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Well, today was ugly. Shall we call it a sale?

Looks like what happens when a typical bear market rally collapses.  Most of the factors which drove stock prices down over the last 8-10 months are still in place, inflation hasn't abated, and the Fed is signalling every way they can that interest rates are going to continue to rise.  In most prior instances where the Fed set out to conquer inflationary cycles, they had to raise rates beyond the actual inflation rate.  We're still a long way from there ...

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

Looks like what happens when a typical bear market rally collapses.  Most of the factors which drove stock prices down over the last 8-10 months are still in place, inflation hasn't abated, and the Fed is signalling every way they can that interest rates are going to continue to rise.  In most prior instances where the Fed set out to conquer inflationary cycles, they had to raise rates beyond the actual inflation rate.  We're still a long way from there ...

I certainly can’t dispute you.

If you thought Monday was ugly.... Jerome got something special worked up for you today.  Back to betting with the bears...I'm sure we will get some nice mini rallies, but September is almost always the worst month of the year in any market so go negative or sit on cash.  I'm going to add to my puts on any bounce in the next week.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

If you thought Monday was ugly.... Jerome got something special worked up for you today.  Back to betting with the bears...I'm sure we will get some nice mini rallies, but September is almost always the worst month of the year in any market so go negative or sit on cash.  I'm going to add to my puts on any bounce in the next week.

6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

The Lord giveth and Jerome Powell taketh away.

Yes, today was ugly, but necessary.  It's painfully obvious that the Fed is going to have to raise rates to much higher levels to beat inflation, better to crush the ongoing "irrational exuberance" in the markets now, rather than later ...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Yes, today was ugly, but necessary.  It's painfully obvious that the Fed is going to have to raise rates to much higher levels to beat inflation, better to crush the ongoing "irrational exuberance" in the markets now, rather than later ...

So painfully obvious that it's been done again and again over history.  Having a FRED account lets me play around with this stuff, so I took a quick few minutes to chart the two basic metrics of the Federal Funds Effective Rate, and Inflation on an annual frequency. 

image.thumb.png.bc85a7b9f122f18f816924422fe43921.png

Basically anytime inflation has gotten out of control, or in some cases even out of line, the Fed has had to raise interest rates up to or higher than the prevailing inflation rate.  So, I don't know what hopes people have for some magic wand solution instead of tough medicine by the spoonful.

Here's a spoiler of how the Fed meetings are going to be for a while longer....

Dan Aykroyd Blues Brother GIF

As "Joliet" Jake Blues said, hit it.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Thoughts on the Red Wave "if it happens" market bounce/spike? Will it be as big a jump as people think? Will it be shortlived?

Bought a bunch of quality blue chip dividend type stocks at near 52 week low not so long ago and was suprised how good they are doing as of now.

I normally buy at dips, hold for a year or two and sell when it looks peaked out but..... getting where with all the crazyiness lately I might take the tax hit and sell all my positions before my usual year of holding if the jump is BIG.

My thoughts are a BIG rally if both houses go R, but big drop as soon as economic reality sets in. a few days maybe?

They say you can't time the market but sometimes you can!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Look at monetary policy over the past 14 years and which direction stocks went during that period. Money or debt became been cheaper and cheaper with interest rates going down. Monetary policy has shifted the other direction, everything costs more, and corporate profits will continue to shrink as short term debts and operational lines of credit renew at the higher interest rates. It may take a while to find the bottom, and I'm expecting a bumpy ride in a continued downward direction. 

Edited by TN Song Dog
  • Like 1