Stock traders on TGO

Alleycat72

25 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

The new company I started working for in March offers a Roth 401K and they match up to 7%. I'm pretty happy about it. I'm putting in 10%. 

Always take the match!

I’d put my whole paycheck in a retirement account we’re somebody willing to match it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Just bot some  SPXU.  That's an ETF that goes  3X short on the daily downward movement of the S&P500.  Not for the feint of heart, and It  has some goofy nuances.  Obviously I'm looking for a very near term drop.  That said, now you bulls can go long even more and with confidence!  

ETA:  Dow up 120

Nice!

• Haha 1

Erik88 18% is great nothing wrong with it but if your an active investor this year especially you can do much better elsewhere.  Now granted I’ve been at this for more than 10 years but I honestly haven’t actually got what I would consider good at it til last year.  I’m at 44% gains in 4 months in a new account and my larger old account I’m at 82% returns since Jan 1, 2020

• Moderators

Here is some interesting information that Vanguard just posted about How America Invests.  There are links to 2 pdf's near the bottom.  No earth shattering news or anything but being a voracious reader, trends, reports, etc. intrigue me.  

https://investornews.vanguard/introducing-how-america-invests/?cmpgn=RIG:EM:CMPGN:SELDIR:12032020:TXL:TXT:HOWAMINVEMSHORTLINKINTEXT:EDU:MTOP:RGP:XXX:ALL:POS01:XX

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

Here is some interesting information that Vanguard just posted about How America Invests.  There are links to 2 pdf's near the bottom.  No earth shattering news or anything but being a voracious reader, trends, reports, etc. intrigue me.  

https://investornews.vanguard/introducing-how-america-invests/?cmpgn=RIG:EM:CMPGN:SELDIR:12032020:TXL:TXT:HOWAMINVEMSHORTLINKINTEXT:EDU:MTOP:RGP:XXX:ALL:POS01:XX

That's a dump truck full of information. I'm not sure how to gain much of anything from it, but it is somewhat interesting.

Speaking of markets yesterday was quite the "distribution day" (down day)....I didn't do a thing (buy or sell....in hindsight should have bought lol) Yesterday I was down almost 7% today I was up almost 6% so a whole lot of nothing happened...a good lesson in why you shouldnt freak out and hit the sell button....by the way anyone get in on that AirBNB action....shes gonna be a winner (but after popping 115% at the open it might be awhile).

On 12/10/2020 at 4:11 PM, Magiccarpetrides said:

Speaking of markets yesterday was quite the "distribution day" (down day)....

by the way anyone get in on that AirBNB action....

I've been positioned conservatively for a while (missed a lot), but my dividend stocks have been doing very well last few weeks.

Agree, seeing distribution here, as always at the top.....

The IPO market lately is beyond bonkers. Another sign that tells me not to adjust my positions.

• Like 2

I can't get my head around some of the valuations. I mean, I get IPO frenzy, made a few bucks that way myself over the years.

But you've got startups that haven't even posted a profit yet valued higher than whole industries!

I get that Air BnB is a disruptor in the hospitality industry, but across the market, corporate valuations are at such high multiples to earnings its very risky. My retirement money I trade very conservatively. Fun money not so much.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Airbnb made sense to me...door dash not so much 

Agreed.  One worry I'd have with AirBnB is they don't have a big enough competitor...yet.  I wonder how much of their value is based on market share, and susceptible to a quick yank from a start-up that pushes into their niche.

DoorDash is benefiting from a lot of people needing work right now.  Once employment returns to normal, their compensation model might be a risk.  But the fact that they're operating in competition with GrubHub and Uber Eats is good to see. 

• Like 1

For those of you using, or who are, financial advisors; how do you determine an individual persons performance? Is that something they advertise or can be checked?

When I expressed concerns to my new Edward Jones advisor about mine changing 3 or 4 times in five years, I asked if he made the choices or Edward Jones corporate did it? He said they did it and my results would not change because of a new advisor unless I told him to make changes. Other than the market changes of course.

• Like 1

Dave, 80% of Financial guys are taught to sell. You need to find that 20% who actually teach. If you meet with a guy and you walk out not knowing more than when you came in, that’s a sure sign to not use them.  A good finance guy will teach you investing and different options to consider and then you’ll have the knowledge to tell him what you want done with YOUR money.  Your ROI will be the main indicator of how well your investments are doing and make sure you factor in your risk tolerance. The less risky you are the lower your ROI will be. The more aggressive, the more volatile your account will be but will offer the potential of high returns. Lastly, as a good benchmark, I’d compare your returns with the S&P 500 to give you an idea of where you stand relative to the returns of the 500 best companies in America.  The total average return on the stock market from beginning to today is around 12%. S&P 500 index funds typically around 8-10%.  My personal return right now is at 120% since March. 

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 2
58 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

For those of you using, or who are, financial advisors; how do you determine an individual persons performance? Is that something they advertise or can be checked?

When I expressed concerns to my new Edward Jones advisor about mine changing 3 or 4 times in five years, I asked if he made the choices or Edward Jones corporate did it? He said they did it and my results would not change because of a new advisor unless I told him to make changes. Other than the market changes of course.

Nobody is a better steward of your money than you.

Do a little reading and open an online account.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Nobody is a better steward of your money than you.

Do a little reading and open an online account.

I mean no disrespect to you or anyone that enjoys doing that. But I have no desire to put in the work that would be required. Sure, the mechanics of it would be easy to learn; but keeping track of what’s going on with a particular stock wouldn’t be.

What started me down this path is the fact that I believe Biden will seriously damage manufacturing, which in turn will seriously damage the economy and the market. I wanted to do something that would protect what I have and not be at the mercy of the azzhats that are preparing to take office and are shutting down the economy. They hate me, they hate you, and they hate anyone that doesn’t kiss the ring. I’ve considered cashing in my IRA and using the money to invest in things I can make money with. Guns is now out of the question, and collector cars haves taxes, insurance, etc.

I brought up the idea to my wife of taking some cash I have and investing it myself. Cash that is not in my investments but is sitting doing nothing. But she thinks that’s a terrible idea. So…you are married, you know how that goes.

But to hear you guys tell it my 23% return in a year from Edward Jones was terrible. So I may consider having a local invest some of that money that is just sitting. Hence… how do you choose someone?

Seriously I would rather have a very good return on my money after fees, than have a huge return and do it myself.

12 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I mean no disrespect to you or anyone that enjoys doing that. But I have no desire to put in the work that would be required. Sure, the mechanics of it would be easy to learn; but keeping track of what’s going on with a particular stock wouldn’t be.

I would almost guarantee your Edward Jones advisor spends less than a few hours each year reviewing your account. They select the initial picks and let the market do what it does. They are not going to make any adjustments without consulting with you. So aside from the once or twice a year you meet with him/her they probably don't even look at your account. That's one of the reasons why I'm leaving them. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I would almost guarantee your Edward Jones advisor spends less than a few hours each year reviewing your account. They select the initial picks and let the market do what it does. They are not going to make any adjustments without consulting with you. So aside from the once or twice a year you meet with him/her they probably don't even look at your account. That's one of the reasons why I'm leaving them. 

That was my concern in my advisor changing. But my investments in my IRA change without them asking me. Although that may be because I told them to handle it. He does contact me every now and then, but its mainly just when a CD matures or something and he wants to discuss what to do. I may be wrong but it was my understanding he isn’t picking my investments; others are doing that.

3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

That was my concern in my advisor changing. But my investments in my IRA change without them asking me. Although that may be because I told them to handle it. He does contact me every now and then, but its mainly just when a CD matures or something and he wants to discuss what to do. I may be wrong but it was my understanding he isn’t picking my investments; others are doing that.

There is a computer program picking your investments. You can do the same thing with a target retirement date fund. It reduces your risk automatically as you age. It just doesn’t collect all the fees your Edward Jones guy does.

• Like 1