Attention Tennessee !!!!!! I don't believe it

Guest trigem

If you receive tv channel 4 in Nashville, tune in at 6pm 2-25-2009 , there's an announcement

about a change that has taken place today in our gun laws, I had not heard or seen anything on this..

Update : Well, channel 4 acted like the bill was law but it's still being looked at:(

Gun Bills Dominate Wednesday Session

Bill To Close Handgun Records Passes Subcommittee

http://www.wsmv.com/news/18793806/detail.html

Edited by trigem
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

channel 6 wate in eastern tn is saying for thier 11 pm news briefs about a bill that would "allow guns in bars". they are totally twisting it out of context and what the bill actually is proposing:rolleyes:

channel 6 wate in eastern tn is saying for thier 11 pm news briefs about a bill that would "allow guns in bars". they are totally twisting it out of context and what the bill actually is proposing:rolleyes:

I saw the same thing "bill to allow guns in bars more at 11" . It scared me, it will be like the old west gun fights every night.

Just heard another ad. They are running it in the ground. They make it sound so scary. I think they are trying to piss people off so they call their legislators and stop the bill. The news media sucks! There I said it again.

Guest Revelator

Me too. I hate all media sources, but I reserve the best of my scorn for the local tv stations and newspapers such as the Commercial Appeal. All they want to do is reduce the truth to a quick, controversial, attention-grabbing soundbite. And I don't know who's the bigger fool: the media or most of the people who listen to them. Which created which? It's like the chicken and the egg.

Guest kingtone

Here is some info from the NRA. I personally wrote an email to ALL the reps listed and got a reply from Judd Metheny that he was voting FOR all the bills which is good. I almost posted the info yesterday but figured other people were more in touch with this than me...

Four Pro-Gun Bills Could be Considered as Early as Tomorrow!

Please Stand-Up and Make Your Voices Heard!

Four pro-gun bills (HB962, HB959, HB960, and HB961) will be heard as early as tomorrow, Wednesday, February 25 in the House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee of Criminal Practice and Procedure.

House Bill 962, sponsored by State Representative Curry Todd (R-95), permits citizens with a handgun carry permit to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as the person is not consuming alcohol. This does not apply to bars, restaurants, and clubs where one must be a certain age to enter.

House Bill 959, sponsored by State Representative Eddie Bass (D-65), would ensure the privacy of handgun permit holders by making records of permit applications and renewals confidential. Any public disclosure of this information would be a Class A misdemeanor.

House Bill 960, sponsored by State Representative Harry Tindell (D-13), would allow persons with a handgun carry permit to carry firearms in local, state and federal parks. If passed, law-abiding citizens of the Volunteer State can lawfully carry within the confines of local, state and federal parks, further preserving their self-defense and Second Amendment rights. Currently, it is unlawful to do so.

House Bill 961, sponsored by State Representative Mike Bell (R-26), authorizes a person with handgun carry permit to possess firearm in a refuge, public hunting area, wildlife management area, or on national forest land.

Please contact the members of the Criminal Practice and Procedure Subcommittee TODAY and respectfully urge them to vote for HB962, HB959, HB960, and HB961. Contact information can be found below.

State Representative Eric Watson (R-22)

Phone (615) 741-7799

rep.eric.watson@capitol.tn.gov

State Representative Janis Sontany (D-53)

Phone (615) 741-6861

rep.janis.sontany@capitol.tn.gov

State Representative Eddie Bass (D-65)

Phone (615) 741-1864

rep.eddie.bass@capitol.tn.gov

State Representative Karen Camper (D-87)

(615) 741-1898

rep.karen.camper@capitol.tn.gov

State Representative Chad Faulkner (R-36)

(615) 741-3335

rep.chad.faulkner@capitol.tn.gov

State Representative Judd Matheny (R-47)

(615) 741-7448

rep.judd.matheny@capitol.tn.gov

This was the email i sent to all the reps:

Dear Sir,

I respectfully urge you to vote FOR the bills HB962, HB959, HB960, and HB961 that you will be discussing as early as tomorrow in the Subcommittee. These bills are a step in the RIGHT direction for this country. And are positive action in the progress of responsible gun ownership.

I know your support in these Bills reflects an extremely large portion of the voting public viewpoint on gun ownership. A voting public that is wary of some of the drastic and illogical reforms that have been suggested in recent times. By supporting the positive actions of legal and responsible gun owners you uphold the constitution and do not punish the 'good doers' in your area.

Sincerely,

even if the bills pass through both house and senate then bredesen has to sign it.

What are the chances he will?

I would expect good.

Technically he may be a "Democrat" but he sure is no "Republican" either. He's turning down some Obama money. Straightened out TennCare (as far as you can). Was elected by Repubs. I really hate to see him go. He's the best guvner this state has had in years.

Guest JeepMonkey
House Bill 962, sponsored by State Representative Curry Todd (R-95), permits citizens with a handgun carry permit to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as the person is not consuming alcohol. This does not apply to bars, restaurants, and clubs where one must be a certain age to enter.
:D
he has pretty much been progun so far. But he doesnt have to sign it for it to become law.
Does TN have the Pocket Veto protection (where if Bredesen does not sign it and the Legislature meets within a certain number of days it becomes law)? Edited by JeepMonkey
Which created which? It's like the chicken and the egg.

it was the egg plant

Seriously though, I agree. I get sick of the media all the time. Especially now with the Communist Appeal being stupid and posting that database, just makes me mad.

I am ready for some of these good changes to happen in regards to firearms laws. These are the same arguments we heard in Arkansas a few years ago when the law was changed to allow people with licenses to carry in parks (state, county, and city) and restaurants. People would go nuts in restaurants and shoot people and people would go crazy at parks and it is bad for the kids playing in the parks. Total garbage and none of this has come true back home in AR. People are people wherever you go and if there are not problems in other states where a practice is legal, then how would there suddenly be a problem in TN????? I can guarantee you...go to Overton Park in Memphis or Memphis Zoo...you'll want a gun on you..whether or not the AG thinks it is legal. Same thing for all restaurants or just about anything in Memphis city limits. The legislature needs to legalize what a lot of people are already doing to protect themselves.

Guest HexHead
:(

Does TN have the Pocket Veto protection (where if Bredesen does not sign it and the Legislature meets within a certain number of days it becomes law)?

If the governor doesn't sign it within 30 days it becomes law. That's how the loosening occurred the last time that allows us to carry in liquor stores, Mapco and Kroger.

Guest HexHead
Just out of interest... how many of you folks write emails or letters when this sort of thing comes around?

My state rep and I are on first name basis I write him so often. LOLOLOL