Reloading 300 blackout with H110

Anyone loading 300 blackout with H110 and Hornady 150 gr FMJ? Loaded a dummy round to set COL at 2.20 I know the max is 2.260 but this round looks really long. It’s not even close to the cannelure. I measured some american eagle 150 factory and it’s much shorter. Is this common among 300 blackout?

yes it is common, because the majority of the .30 cal bullets that are out there were never designed for this caliber. What I do in that situation is find out where the powder column ends (w/super sonic loads obviously) in the case with whatever charge I am working with and seat the bullet a little above that and run it. It has worked good for me so far. Also I am aware you can do compressed charges, but I prefer not to do that on something that is kind of an unknown, so where ever the cannelure ends up being with my method, so be it.

Finally got back to the reloading bench and loaded some dummy rounds at 2.090. Still to long seems to be hitting the rifling. Very hard to cycle the bolt and scratches on the bullet. Also the moves forward so something is not right. I have never loaded 300 blackout or used H110 not sure how it acts when shorter than recommended COL. going to 2.78 seemed to be better. So Bear Creek barrels have short chambers? You guys think I would be safe going this short? At this length it’s still only about halfway in the cannelure. I think I should be ok going to this length as long as i stay at minimum charge weight.

I have loaded .300AAC with the Hornady bullet you are talking about but with Winchester W296 which is basically H110-14.9gr of W296 with the crimp at the cannelure and good accuracy.

I have to get a chronograph sooner or later so I know my velocity-but they shoot quite well and at 130 yards they ring the bell pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...