Kimber stainless pro carry II .40 S&W

I looked at this gun at guns and ammo in memphis last saturday and I really like it. What is your opinion of this gun? I know most of the Kimbers are .45's but I'd love to stay with a .40 since my other handgun is also a .40. I think they had this one priced at alittle over 800 bucks. If I can talk the wife into it I may pick it up Sat.

large_stainlessprocarry2.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I really like that gun. A lot. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with a Kimber and it being the stainless steel frame means it should be very robust, although a bit on the heavy side. A good holster and gun belt will make that a non-issue, though.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Cant go wrong with any 1911, especially a Kimber.

Not sure how dead set on .40 you are, but the Springfield Loaded 1911's are pretty darned nice as well as the Smith and Wesson line of 1911's. I got to handle one of the compact S&W 1911's with the scandium frame and I couldnt believe how light it was. Believe the price was somewhere in the 900 range.

Guest Old Chief

I have carried a Kimber Eclipse Pro II for nearly three years and have put about 2500 rounds down range. No problems in carrying in good leather nor using good ammo. I would not part with mine for any price.

Guest Mugster

I've got a springfield armory ultra compact in .45acp. I don't carry anything, but if I did i think i'd look at something lighter/smaller. It would get old toting that thing around all day concealed. Also, mine is ported and it kicks enough one handed with stock mags that i'll get failures to feed. Two handed its ok. I have the double column 10 shotter fyi, can't speak on the 6 shotters.

Geeze MolonlabeTN, always with the 10mm...

Anyway, nothing but kudos for Kimbers here. All my experience (limited as it is) is with Kimbers in .45, but I agree with the poster who said you can't go wrong with Kimber.

I have seen some .45 Kimber malfunction issues in reports from classes where many hundreds of rounds were shot. I have no direct knowledge of such, however. (And a Glock 22, 23, or 35 would solve that problem very nicely if it was the case! :confused:)

Just a barrel and spring change away from being a 10mm!
Guest bazookazilla

If you can stand to wait a little while call Range USA. I ordered a Kimber from them about a week and a half ago. It ended up being almost $100 cheaper than Guns N Ammo, after the Guns and Ammo cash discount. However, Guns and Ammo did have the pistol in stock and I could have had it in my grubby little paws right now. But I did save about $100 and I like to support Range Usa. If it would just get here!!!! I will post pics when I recieve it.

Well, you're options are pretty limited on .40 1911-style pistols. I'm not the biggest Kimber fan, but if you're set on the .40, Kimber is pretty much the only game in town. If you break down and settle for the .45, there's better guns in that price range on which to spend your hard-earned dollar.

The .40 would give you the option of adding barrels in .357 SIG and, of course, the ultimate, the 10mm. The .357 SIG swap should be able to use the same spring setup, but the 10mm requires a little more work. Usually I remove a small part of the left frame rail above the slide stop, (this is the modification Colt made on the original Delta Elites to fix a frame cracking problems), and switch to a heavier mainspring and a flat firing pin stop. Of course you have to go to a heavier recoil spring, but the heavier mainspring and firing pin stop allow for a lighter recoil spring, which lessens the beating that the gunu will take. Load up with Doubletap, and take to the streets with the finest auto pistol cartridge so far! :cool:

DanO