M-57 Yugo Pistol

bucnball

Got a NIB M-57 pistol recently (7.62 x 25 caliber) and took it to the range yesterday.. One failure to fire due to 68 yr old ammo.  Pulled the hammer back after waiting for a moment & re-tried .Success ! I am pleased with it so far. Anyone have any experience with the M-57 ? Wish I'd gotten one when Classic had them (cheaper)..The one I got had spare mags . Also shoots 30 Mauser ammo that is dimensionally the same but 1 mm longer cartridge case.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Best of the Tokarev style pistols IMO.  The safety required for import on those is very well done unlike those found on the Romanians that often effect functionality. 

They are nice and loud too.  Crowd-pleasingly loud.

I bought one from Classic Firearms last year. I concur. It is loud.

Loud enough to get other shooters to stop and look around. lol

• Like 1

Pictures man! Pictures!

Its a great round and fun to shoot. I know the gun is more capable than I've gotten out of my Romanians  (T33) as my eyes no longer tolerate the very narrow gaps in old style mil spec sites like when I was younger. 

Like Garufa says, the safety on the others are something of a hot mess. Something that looks like they gave it to some 5th graders to hack together. But I have been lucky and mine have worked. But I know better to use them as they disintegrate with wear.

Look forward to the pics!

Make sure to give it a thorough cleaning if that ammo is corrosive. That’s a neat round.

I have a CZ52 that fires the same cartridge. It’s fun to shoot, and quite impressive for what it is, although the decocker and the trigger seem to perform the same function. I need to get that sorted out sometime.

21 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Make sure to give it a thorough cleaning if that ammo is corrosive. That’s a neat round.

I have a CZ52 that fires the same cartridge. It’s fun to shoot, and quite impressive for what it is, although the decocker and the trigger seem to perform the same function. I need to get that sorted out sometime.

LOL! I bet that's thrilling!

Oh, the  safeties,  it has not only a slide mounted lever safety , it has a magazine dis-connect safety .. without the mag in the frame the trigger won't pivot/slide to the rear.. As for accuracy, it's reasonable for social distances and beyond. I was using early 50's com-bloc surplus ammo and a half box of PPU Mauser 30 cal. that I got for my CZ 52 last year at the Smokey Mtn. Gun Collectors Show (There is one scheduled for mid-January// next month !). 

20 hours ago, bucnball said:

....for social distances ....

I was using early 50's com-bloc surplus ammo....

So that's what must mean by social distancing. Hmm.

If it was not marked, almost all old Com block (especially Yugo) had corrosive primers, so like Greg says, hose that baby down.

Still waitin for those pics ⏳

I've had an M-57 for a few years and it's a great pistol. I find the unique magazine and associated mag safety to be somewhat aggravating. The thumb safety on mine doesn't bother me.

Unluckily/luckily mine had a slightly frosted bore, while the rest of it looks nearly new. The lucky part is that I don't have to worry about being the first  one to frost the bore with corrosive ammo.

It also keeps me from shooting my Russian Tokarev too much.