Uptalking

tercel89

Have you guys/gals noticed this ? It's called Uptalking. It mainly seems to be the younger generation doing it. For the last 2 years I have noticed people talking and how their sentences sound like questions. For example "The dog ran fast" . That is a regular sentence. These younger people will say the same sentence and when they get to the end of the sentence their voice will get higher and pronounce the last part in a higher tone of voice like you would a question. So it sounds like " The dog ran fast ? " . It's gotten to where I cant stand to hear people talk like that. It makes them sound unsure of themselves when they talk and also like everything they say is a question.  Maybe I'm just getting older but hearing this style of speaking is like fingernails on a chalk board to me. 

• Like 7

Been going on more than 2 years, commieforna kids been doing it for many years. I think is make a person sound fake!!!

Starting in America with the Valley Girls of the 1980s …, uptalk became common among young women across the country by the 1990s.— Douglas Quenqua, New York Times, 27 Feb. 2012

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uptalk

• Like 1

One of the biggest and the media does it, hollywood does it, etc. 

The word "No" seems to have adopted an 'a' after it. So it sounds like Noah is getting ready to load the Ark
NOa, wtf is up with that. I hear it all day. Its just NO! 🤬

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, BHunted said:

The word "No" seems to have adopted an 'a' after it. So it sounds like Noah is getting ready to load the Ark

I hear that too ! Crazy stuff 

5 minutes ago, The Big Guy said:

Yes, some of them also add in Vocal Fry and the overly animated hand gestures as well. It's a cultural thing. No Agenda Podcast has been ragging on this for years. 

My GF is from southern CA so I've gotten my fill of this in it's natural habitat lol.

Oh lord, I could barely make it half way through the video. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, The Big Guy said:

My theory is up talking is popular amongst the youth because they overly concerned about offending people. Up talking allows them to make statements without committing to the statement because everything is made to sound like a question.

I think this is right. Worked with a lot of college kids and still do. Theyre very afraid of being decisive and forward, and they feel like they're being attacked if youre forward with them sometimes. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, JunkiCosmonaut said:

I think this is right. Worked with a lot of college kids and still do. Theyre very afraid of being decisive and forward, and they feel like they're being attacked if youre forward with them sometimes. 

"I feel like that shouldn't be uh thing?" 

Meant to be read with up talk and vocal fry. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, The Big Guy said:

"I feel like that shouldn't be uh thing?" 

Meant to be read with up talk and vocal fry. 

Thats exactly something you hear. I also hate the word "feel" when talking about objective concepts. Saying "it seems to me" and im all ears saying "I feel like" and I dont wanna hear it unless it's followed with an actual feeling.....but thats probably not pertinent.

3 minutes ago, JunkiCosmonaut said:

Thats exactly something you hear. I also hate the word "feel" when talking about objective concepts. Saying "it seems to me" and im all ears saying "I feel like" and I dont wanna hear it unless it's followed with an actual feeling.....but thats probably not pertinent.

"I feel like I'm getting cross coupling between these two traces but the scope isn't like helping or anything?"

lol

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, BHunted said:

My daughter does the Noah thing sometimes. I tell her almost every time, he was the guy that built the giant animal boat. 

• Haha 3

I usually just tell them they're gonna have to rephrase that, preferably in English.  

And there's a 20-something guy here who does the like thing as well. I give him crap about it routinely. 

I'm a bit surprised you can get them to speak at all. 

Edited by peejman
17 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Have you guys/gals noticed this ? It's called Uptalking. It mainly seems to be the younger generation doing it. For the last 2 years I have noticed people talking and how their sentences sound like questions. For example "The dog ran fast" . That is a regular sentence. These younger people will say the same sentence and when they get to the end of the sentence their voice will get higher and pronounce the last part in a higher tone of voice like you would a question. So it sounds like " The dog ran fast ? " . It's gotten to where I cant stand to hear people talk like that. It makes them sound unsure of themselves when they talk and also like everything they say is a question.  Maybe I'm just getting older but hearing this style of speaking is like fingernails on a chalk board to me. 

I agree!  I hate that and I also hate the importer phrase, "based off of". It should be "based on."  those and AX me a question are some of triggers lol.