1942 Remington 1911

The 1911 Forum is also very good. They have a sub forum specifically for U.S. issue pistols.  As Kahrman suggested, good pics of all markings will be very helpful. 

Oops! I saw 1942 and just assumed this was a G.I. pistol. is it G.I. or commercial?  

Beltfed: Sorry, while the Blue Book may be a great source for information, its value estimates are out of date before its even published. 

Edited by Grayfox54

I'm no expert, but I did check the serial number which says its a 1942-43 Remington Rand frame. The slide is clearly marked Remington Rand and I don't see any arsenal rebuild marks anywhere.  Bubba, I do believe you just might have yourself a completely original WW II 1911A1.  😲  You'd need to check markings on internal parts to be absolutely sure. But that is one Hell of a find! 👍

Most all G.I. 1911s have been arsenal rebuilt at least once. An unmolested all original gun is rare and quite collectible. I can't even guess as to its value. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, MemHeli said:

Can you guys point me to a resource where I can value an old 1911. It’s in really good condition.  

B15D3BFC-83B5-4DD4-A0A6-9BB3B6FEA363.jpeg

B1AA4D5D-BBBD-4E14-B406-2AB1B5C18D5A.jpeg

B272C156-3197-44DE-AD57-845DBD4FB93E.jpeg

556B6BA8-9499-4448-AF55-EE4EF0650A6D.jpeg

It really all depends.  I’m no expert but based on the pics it’s at least a $1,500 pistol.  Originality has everything to do with it.

There is a website that everyone on the CMP 1911 forum directs everyone to for specific parts ID.  I’d start there to at least figure out what you have.

Edited by Garufa
4 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The 1911 Forum is also very good. They have a sub forum specifically for U.S. issue pistols.  As Kahrman suggested, good pics of all markings will be very helpful. 

Oops! I saw 1942 and just assumed this was a G.I. pistol. is it G.I. or commercial?  

Beltfed: Sorry, while the Blue Book may be a great source for information, its value estimates are out of date before its even published. 

Agreed, about Blue Book, and I would say they are consistently 10-15% below real values in most cases, way off in others,  and have been for years.  I've never seen a Blue Book value on the high side, and rarely "on target."

11 hours ago, MemHeli said:

so I have an opportunity to buy this gun. Not mine yet. Not sure I’ll be able to break it down before purchasing. 

CMP sells them with a certificate of authenticity for… Service Grade $1050, Field Grade $950, Rack Grade $850. That’s the scale I would use for determining value, if you can determine it’s the real deal. Many people will pay more because they don’t want to jump through the hoops to buy from CMP.

Is this by chance a CMP gun with a certificate?

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

CMP sells them with a certificate of authenticity for… Service Grade $1050, Field Grade $950, Rack Grade $850. That’s the scale I would use for determining value, if you can determine it’s the real deal. Many people will pay more because they don’t want to jump through the hoops to buy from CMP.

Is this by chance a CMP gun with a certificate?

No certificate here. 

13 hours ago, Garufa said:

It really all depends.  I’m no expert but based on the pics it’s at least a $1,500 pistol.  Originality has everything to do with it.

There is a website that everyone on the CMP 1911 forum directs everyone to for specific parts ID.  I’d start there to at least figure out what you have.

So 1800 could be grossly overpriced.  I saw some estimates over 3 but I’m suspect at values that high for what might be gotten from CMP nowadays. Or so I’m told. Waiting list are infinite. 

39 minutes ago, MemHeli said:

So 1800 could be grossly overpriced.  I saw some estimates over 3 but I’m suspect at values that high for what might be gotten from CMP nowadays. Or so I’m told. Waiting list are infinite. 

They are routinely priced that way. Just like CMP Garand’s routinely sell for twice what they cost. Some people don’t want to do the paperwork. And routinely POS patched together Garand’s are priced like that. Or new aftermarket production M1 Carbines being priced like CMP M1 Carbines.

But you aren’t paying for a 1911; you are paying for a military collectable. With a CMP cert; you are getting that.

It’s like buying any collectables; you really need to know what you are doing.

The 2nd round of CMP 1911’s starts January 4th.

3 hours ago, MemHeli said:

Prices are all over the place for USGI 1911’s.  

What the CMP sells them for is irrelevant.  They selling at well under market value and really have no bearing on what current prices are.  Those who are flipping their CMP 1911’s are getting well more than what they paid for them.

CMP has just received a new batch of pistols and is currently taking new applications. However, it is a lottery system. New buyers will be given a random computer generated number and be offered a pistol when their number comes up. So there's no guarantees that you'll get one. However, I do believe everybody who applied in the first round did get a chance to buy. This is the way the first batch was sold. I did get one from the first batch and for $1050, I considered it a bargain.  But also remember that the CMP guns have almost all been through an arsenal  rebuild at least once and the vast majority are mixmasters. Any completely original pistols are pulled aside and sold at auction for much higher prices. 

Honestly, for $1800 I wouldn't consider the pistol you're looking at to be grossly overpriced if it is indeed all original.  Although I would try to haggle a bit. 

BTW: looking at the pictures, that boogered up slide stop cut on the slide could be used as a valid bargaining point. On collectibles, Its the little things that count. 😉

Like i said, if you pass, I'm interested.

Can't send them in yet.

New orders for the CMP 1911s will not be accepted before January 4, 2021, or after March 4, 2021 – any packets received or postmarked outside of those dates will be shredded and discarded.

Only one CMP 1911 order form per customer per envelope may be submitted. Those who have already purchased a CMP 1911 through the RGN system or the Auction site will not be eligible to purchase a second 1911 at this time

https://thecmp.org/cmp-set-to-open-second-round-of-1911-pistol-orders-in-early-2021/

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/1911-information/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...