Lifetime permit upgrade - New background check or no?

Question about paying the $200 to upgrade from the 8 year permit to lifetime. Does anyone know they run another background etc... or is it just pay and you're good?

I only ask because of that denial BS I just went through, yeah it was overturned promptly... But I still have no clue what happened there. In light of slow Joe and Kamaltoe looming, I'd prefer just to pay and get the lifetime permit but I don't want to see it get hung up, denied, whatever right? I mean I got the permit in like 12 days, ridiculously fast, and I still have nearly 8 years left... but for $200 I'd just like to end it once and for all if all it take is paying and getting the upgrade.

3 hours ago, ACfixer said:

Question about paying the $200 to upgrade from the 8 year permit to lifetime. Does anyone know they run another background etc... or is it just pay and you're good?

I only ask because of that denial BS I just went through, yeah it was overturned promptly... But I still have no clue what happened there. In light of slow Joe and Kamaltoe looming, I'd prefer just to pay and get the lifetime permit but I don't want to see it get hung up, denied, whatever right? I mean I got the permit in like 12 days, ridiculously fast, and I still have nearly 8 years left... but for $200 I'd just like to end it once and for all if all it take is paying and getting the upgrade.

When I did it at the DMV I was just given the option and I paid. Of course, they make you attest that you can posses a permit, but I dont beleive there was a second background check. Atleast not like initially is done.

I also know people with squeaky clean records denied sales for no reason and then be fine the next day.聽

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ACfixer said:

You passed your last background with them (HCP); you should pass it again. I think they run those every year anyway. Time wasn鈥檛 on your side before; it is now. I wouldn鈥檛 do anything until you find out what happened with the TBI.

If Sleepy Joe does anything to impact a permit, which I doubt, it probably won鈥檛 matter when you bought it or how long its good for.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Was that an upgrade or a new permit Reefer?

I have to say the enhanced permit process and timeline here in TN was downright reasonable. I think it was almost exactly 2 weeks from application to card in hand and the fees weren't horrible. Good class, slightly different (mostly better) laws here. California permit took 13 months with 2 interviews and an 8 hour class with quals. In the end the permit costs about $500 for two years and you an only carry the (3 in my county) the weapons listed on the permit. Renewal was another class with quals and another $300. If you live in the full-on lib counties like LA and SF you will NEVER get a permit so I was thankful. But I think most of us will agree we shouldn't have to beg or be thankful to exercise a right.

Edited by ACfixer

Yeah, I understand the economic argument, however....

If you fork over now for a permit that does not have an expiration, will they be able to prevent you from renewing it?

I worry that one day politicians will attempt to make the permitting process much more onerous. I lived in NY for the first 40 years of my life, I speak from experience...So the thinking goes I'm permitted for life. They would have to revoke it, vs making renew difficult.Worth 200 clams to.
聽me

• Like 3