School me on RMR's

Erik88

Some recent posts here along with some videos I've watched have made me interested in running a red dot on one of my Glocks. I'm wondering the easiest way to go about this. 

Are these my only options? 

1. have my slide sent off to be milled for mounting a red dot
  2. buy an entirely new Glock such as a G17 MOS

Is Trijicon the only quality option right now? 

I went with a G19 MOS for my RMR experiment. I found a new Gen 4 for 620 at a local dealer - which seemed somewhat reasonable (for an impatient person) in the crazy COVID, pre-election market. I’ve actually seen other dealers at 599 for non-MOS G19s around here. 

For me, the price difference between slide milling/refinishing vs buying another pistol made it an easy decision. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Brownells, Zev, Grey Ghost, you name it.

That's interesting. And they are all reliable? 

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

OEM Glock MOS slide even.

Would this be on the used market or you mean vendors are selling these now? 

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

That's interesting. And they are all reliable? 

Would this be on the used market or you mean vendors are selling these now? 

I went with the Gen5 Grey Ghost Glock19 slides for two of my Glocks. They are cut for RMR & DPP, but I have Holosun 507s on them. I found a complete Gen5 Glock19 MOS slide on Gun Broker back during the summer. The price wasn’t ridiculous for Gun Broker. Screws broke off on one of my 19MOS, and I couldn’t get them out with broken screw extractor, and the gunsmith said it was hopeless, so I purchased the slide from Gun Broker. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
6 hours ago, TGO David said:

Buy a slide that is already milled and use it on your gun.  There are plenty of options out there now.   Brownells, Zev, Grey Ghost, you name it.  Lots of options.  You can probably find an OEM Glock MOS slide even.

@TGO David is 100% on point here. Choose a sight footprint (trijicon RMR is the correct answer) and then buy a slide milled for it. Plate systems suck. They are a structural weak point and generally end up higher than is optimal. 

Also,  @Links2kis right about using good screws. In addition, if you remove the sight, replace the screws. Treat them as a consumable item. 

• Like 1

Suarez International in Arizona has been modifying Glocks for sometime now and Holosun is a lower priced unit that he recommends.  Off course you can't go wrong with trijicon. I have an old reflex site that has been a tank. I wonder are the Factory Glock plates and screws good quality or is it best to purchase aftermarket?

Edited by Blitzen
Add to statement.
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

@TGO David is 100% on point here. Choose a sight footprint (trijicon RMR is the correct answer) and then buy a slide milled for it. Plate systems suck. They are a structural weak point and generally end up higher than is optimal. 

Also,  @Links2kis right about using good screws. In addition, if you remove the sight, replace the screws. Treat them as a consumable item. 

Eh... I'll make a concession here.  The MOS system works fine if you use the correct length screws.  It works even better if you get an improved mounting plate from C&H Precision Weapon Systems.

https://chpws.com/

• Like 3

This week, I should be getting back a CZ P-07 slide that I'd sent to Jaegerwerks a couple weeks ago, to be milled for the RMR/Holosun cut.   If you have Glocks, you have more options and I think buying an aftermarket slide with the cut already done is the way to go.   It allows you to try out a RDS without modifying your factory slide or making unrecoverable investments.

Just be sure that the slide you buy is compatible with your frame; for instance, most of the slides I've seen have been for Gen 3 Glocks.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Eh... I'll make a concession here.  The MOS system works fine if you use the correct length screws.  It works even better if you get an improved mounting plate from C&H Precision Weapon Systems.

https://chpws.com/

To be clear, I wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth, just building off of what you said with my own thoughts. I apologize if it came off as such. 

I’m of the view that multitaskers belong in the kitchen, not the holster. I’m all about keeping the possible failure points as low as possible. Plate systems don’t meet that criteria for me. So while the MOS may be fine, a dedicated milled slide  is the better choice. 

• Like 1

FWIW, I have a Walther PPS M2 RSMc, mounted at the Walther factory. Advertised to have a battery life of 2 to 3 yrs. The LED went out, had to be returned for repair/ replacement,  during Covid. These are made in the UK. After a few months it was replaced.

Battery life on neither lasts more than one month. The unit has to be removed to replace the battery, ( which I can pretty much do with my eyes shut, due to experience).

When this unit finally goes belly up again, I'm going to replace it with the Holosun 407K, which is cheaper, and better.

Just food for thought.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

FWIW, I have a Walther PPS M2 RSMc, mounted at the Walther factory. Advertised to have a battery life of 2 to 3 yrs. The LED went out, had to be returned for repair/ replacement,  during Covid. These are made in the UK. After a few months it was replaced.

Battery life on neither lasts more than one month. The unit has to be removed to replace the battery, ( which I can pretty much do with my eyes shut, due to experience).

When this unit finally goes belly up again, I'm going to replace it with the Holosun 407K, which is cheaper, and better.

Just food for thought.

I love the Holosun on my War Poet. Side loading battery tray makes it even better. 

• Like 3
On 12/15/2020 at 11:58 AM, TGO David said:

Buy a slide that is already milled and use it on your gun.  There are plenty of options out there now.   Brownells, Zev, Grey Ghost, you name it.  Lots of options.  You can probably find an OEM Glock MOS slide even.

So it seems that options are limited to 9mm. Why is that? I ask because I prefer the .357 Sig. Grey Ghost has P320 slides but also limited to 9mm. 😞 

5 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

So it seems that options are limited to 9mm. Why is that? I ask because I prefer the .357 Sig. Grey Ghost has P320 slides but also limited to 9mm. 😞 

.357Sig and 40S&W are far too powerful for most normal Red Dots. Why… the massive recoil would rip them right off and probably knock you out. Probably a liability issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Admin Team
7 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Small businesses are having to make some hard choices on inventory/cash on hand right now. 

I expect they sell all the 9mm slides they can make.

That said, they can probably get other variants, and it's probably worth an inquiry via whatever customer service tool they use to check.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

.357Sig and 40S&W are far too powerful for most normal Red Dots. Why… the massive recoil would rip them right off and probably knock you out. Probably a liability issue.

Or maybe they just don’t have enough demand to warrant even bothering with dying calibers. 

😂

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Or maybe they just don’t have enough demand to warrant even bothering with dying calibers. 

😂

You have a point there. I’ll take this opportunity to remind those that may have forgotten; I have a truck and I will haul away all those .40S&W firearms and all the .40S&W ammunition that is no longer in demand. Don’t worry… I have special skills in dealing with dangerous high explosives.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Small businesses are having to make some hard choices on inventory/cash on hand right now. 

I expect they sell all the 9mm slides they can make.

That said, they can probably get other variants, and it's probably worth an inquiry via whatever customer service tool they use to check.

Are you kidding me? 28” vent ribbed shotguns are sold out right now. 🙃

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

As long as the optic comes off on the return cycle of the firing sequence, you have two projectiles going toward your target.  🙂

• Haha 3