School me on RMR's

Erik88

• Administrator

Here are some good podcast episodes that my friends over at Guardian News Podcast did with Luis Chirino at Holosun.  They're worth listening to, especially on the subjects of the Glock MOS and plate systems.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/guardian-news-podcast/episode/episode-20-78213213

https://www.stitcher.com/show/guardian-news-podcast/episode/episode-21-78403788

• Like 1

In all seriousness I did want to try out a red dot for a target gun. I bought a M&P CORE PERFORMANCE CENTER in 9mm. I figured a 9mm would shoot through a target with a cardboard backer. Won’t it?? and 9MM was cheap… that’s no longer true.

I put a Vortex Venom on it and had to put an Apex trigger in it before I even shot it; but it works fine. The venom doesn’t co-witness perfectly, that wasn’t a requirement for me. Changing the battery without removing the sight was.

I wanted the Leupold Delta Point Pro, but they wouldn't mount to the M&P CORE.

I recently put a Burris Fastfire 3 on a Ruger Mark IV, but I haven’t got to shoot it yet, and it looks like I might not for awhile.

18 hours ago, TGO David said:

Eh... I'll make a concession here.  The MOS system works fine if you use the correct length screws.  It works even better if you get an improved mounting plate from C&H Precision Weapon Systems.

https://chpws.com/

If you have a MOS system, you really should follow David’s advice on the chpws kit.  I always find out this stuff the hard way. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

You will also want a good inch pounds torque wrench if you don’t have one. I’ve got plenty of use out of my Wheeler FAT wrench. They have a new digital model I’m going to have to get.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-710909-Digital-Firearms-Accurizing/dp/B01B3NW5TG/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Wheeler+FAT&qid=1608158772&sr=8-5

Nice. Just ordered it. 👍🏻

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 2
On 12/15/2020 at 1:25 PM, Links2k said:

Regardless which way you go use good screws like C&H Precision or Battle Werks .  I paid the stupid tax using MOS screws and vibra tite. 

This.

I also learned the expensive way that the included MOS plates and screws suck.  I assumed that all those idiots having trouble with their MOS plates didn't use the right torque specs or skipped the thread locker, until I broke a screw on a 17.  Now I have two C&H plates.  The C&H is a much tighter fit.  I now use this guy's method starting at around 11:00.  And good luck finding green Loctite lol

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2
On 12/16/2020 at 4:13 PM, TGO David said:

Here are some good podcast episodes that my friends over at Guardian News Podcast did with Luis Chirino at Holosun.  They're worth listening to, especially on the subjects of the Glock MOS and plate systems.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/guardian-news-podcast/episode/episode-20-78213213

https://www.stitcher.com/show/guardian-news-podcast/episode/episode-21-78403788

I just spent the last two hours listening to these podcast. Lots of good info. The guy sounded as giddy as me when he started talking about the green reticles. I’m feeling pretty good about my Holosun purchases. I have three 507’s, a 507k, a 515 and a 530, all with green reticles.  

I own several RMR’s, and I know they are the gold standard, but for now I’m extremely impressed with a brand that I would’nt have even considered just one year ago. Good stuff. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

those familiar with rmr’s on pistols, I have a gen 5 mos glock 19. All the talk on correct screws, mounts etc is the Glock mos accessories not adequate to mount a red dot on?  Screws too long, screws breaking etc. I can’t imagine that the Glock mos accessory kit not being adequate for mounting a red dot. 

On 12/16/2020 at 3:47 PM, DaveTN said:

.357Sig and 40S&W are far too powerful for most normal Red Dots. Why… the massive recoil would rip them right off and probably knock you out. Probably a liability issue.

Don't think so. I have one on my FNX I converted to. 460 Rowland and it has been just fine. That thing fires so hard your palms are checkered and you have a neat little FN after one shot.