BULLET PROOF VEST QUESTION

I saw a bullet proof vest for sale on another gun forum and had a question. Hope this is the right spot to ask it. If not, I apologize and move it as needed please.

I was trolling some of my usually firearm sites and spotted a army issue bullet proof vest for sale. camo in color, by the listing it was said to be marked u.s. govt. or something to that affect. price was $1,000 obo.

I was wondering if that was legal to own or if you needed class 3 to have it. or if it was just illegal period. guy had gotten a couple responses at that price but I wondered if those responses were "big brother". a grand for a vest ???

Just curious

fujimo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

Don't know anything about "legalities" of owning a bullet proof vest. Just "something" about buying a "USED" one bothers me...was it USED successfully or unsuccessfully?:(

It is most likely "procured" government property. I have serious issues with people doing this. You can see things like this on GoLSN alot also. That vest could be being worn by a soldier, marine, airmen, sailor, or coast guard (lawl). You already paid your part to buy it.

Don't know anything about "legalities" of owning a bullet proof vest. Just "something" about buying a "USED" one bothers me...was it USED successfully or unsuccessfully?:(

Unsuccessfully, so the owner doesnt need it anymore.:bat::D

I saw a bullet proof vest for sale on another gun forum and had a question. Hope this is the right spot to ask it. If not, I apologize and move it as needed please.

I was trolling some of my usually firearm sites and spotted a army issue bullet proof vest for sale. camo in color, by the listing it was said to be marked u.s. govt. or something to that affect. price was $1,000 obo.

I was wondering if that was legal to own or if you needed class 3 to have it. or if it was just illegal period. guy had gotten a couple responses at that price but I wondered if those responses were "big brother". a grand for a vest ???

Just curious

fujimo

"Class III" or the NFA has nothing to do with body armor.

If the vest you are looking at is "camo" it is either a flak jacket (worn by US troops from early 80's until about 6/7 years ago) or Interceptor body armor, sometimes known as RBA.

Either way, they are both obsolete and would serve no purpose for current US troops.

Someone is trying to find a fool with more money than sense that has their tinfoil hat on too tight.

If you want good body armor, 1000.00 bucks will buy you an OTV which is what the guys in the box are currently wearing.

These can be purchased from places my Hero-Gear, and again, are not restricted in their ownership.

Guest Hyaloid
"Class III" or the NFA has nothing to do with body armor.

If the vest you are looking at is "camo" it is either a flak jacket (worn by US troops from early 80's until about 6/7 years ago) or Interceptor body armor, sometimes known as RBA.

Either way, they are both obsolete and would serve no purpose for current US troops.

Someone is trying to find a fool with more money than sense that has their tinfoil hat on too tight.

If you want good body armor, 1000.00 bucks will buy you an OTV which is what the guys in the box are currently wearing.

These can be purchased from places my Hero-Gear, and again, are not restricted in their ownership.

I was looking into more of an "IronMan" type of situation... got anything for that? :(:bat:

Yeah, low bidder POS vests are great.

Well what is he wanting it for? If he is going to Baghdad or Kabul then I wouldn't buy one of those friggin' obviously, but if you just want one to have or wear occasionally for something why spend 500 bucks?

Jesus Christ everyone is so damn snippy around here lately.

Alot of cops I know where Point Blank and PACA. Memphis PD outta know they get shot at enough.

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

Again, bulletproofme police surplus vests.

I toodled on down to my local suit maker and had my measurements taken, ordered a vest level IIIA concealable (actually semi-concealable but since I plan on being able to return fire, the increased bulk vs bruises and tissue damage tradeoff is just fine). Can't get easier than that.

Well what is he wanting it for? If he is going to Baghdad or Kabul then I wouldn't buy one of those friggin' obviously, but if you just want one to have or wear occasionally for something why spend 500 bucks?

Jesus Christ everyone is so damn snippy around here lately.

Alot of cops I know where Point Blank and PACA. Memphis PD outta know they get shot at enough.

I don't think anyone is snippy here.

The OP was looking at spending 1k on an obsolete vest.

Paca and other bottomfeeder vests have been placed in many departments by meeting (barely) minimum specs and being the low bidder.

Its a fact. Nothing snippy about that at all.

Again, bulletproofme police surplus vests.

I toodled on down to my local suit maker and had my measurements taken, ordered a vest level IIIA concealable (actually semi-concealable but since I plan on being able to return fire, the increased bulk vs bruises and tissue damage tradeoff is just fine). Can't get easier than that.

If the OP is looking for armor for when the zombies come, I concur that bulletproofme is a good resource and I know many happy customers that have used them for carriers and plates.

Keep in mind, surplus or low bid armor is like a firearm.

There is nothing wrong with buying an old LE trade in 5906 or Gen2 Glock from CDNN if thats what you want.

For some, these guns fit their budget and needs so there is no need to spend more.

For others, they prefer something like a new high end 1911, and are willing to spend to get it.

Finally, since this thread was started as a question regarding the legalities of buying/selling body armor, I am going to move this thread since it has nothing to do with the NFA.

Guest mikedwood

Like Magic said I believe that set up is worth about $200 without the plates.

$1,000 is a screaming ripoff. You could get 3 to 5 sets of that on ebay for that much money.

If you are looking into used vests stay away from ones with Zylon in them. Goldfelx is suppose to be top notch and pure Kevlar is tough for a pretty long time as well. (The Goldflex and Zylon were both mainly used to decrease weight I believe)

Edited by mikedwood
Added
I don't think anyone is snippy here.

The OP was looking at spending 1k on an obsolete vest.

Paca and other bottomfeeder vests have been placed in many departments by meeting (barely) minimum specs and being the low bidder.

Its a fact. Nothing snippy about that at all.

Sorry Joe. I guess you and I are gonna have to start adding warning tags to our posts lol Sorry buddy my bad. :tough:

Hey guys, appreciate all the responses. I wasn't actively seeking one. I just seen it and wondered about who could buy one and who couldn't. guess I should have googled it, lol. But I know everybody on here is pretty up to date with all that's happening.

As for myself, I just wear a slab of steel secured by a rope, like clint eastwood in fist full of dollars, lmao !

thanks again for clearing up a question.

Guest JLowe

Just remember that sweat and moisture is the enemy of the bullet resistant vest. If you purchase a used one, you maybe waisting your money. All manufacturers recommend that you get a new vest every 5 years, as they will not guarantee the vests ability to stop bullets any longer. That is on the assumption that the vest was worn most days of the week for that time frame.

Oh and Joe,

My Paca vests have been so good, that bad guys haven't even tried to shoot me over the past 11 years as they know it will be a waste of bullets. :D

• 3 weeks later...