How do you catalog your guns?

Ronald_55

Those of you that are not FFLs, how do you keep up with your guns? Do you have a notepad or a full blown spreadsheet backed up in 6 different locations? What do you record when you get a new gun?

Just interested in what some of you more organized types do. 

I use the no longer available Gunsafe. Works really well for me except you cant access it remotely or through a cloud. I started using Guntrack for my current guns. Guntrack I can access anywhere. Makes it useful when using it remotely. 

• Admin Team

I like something glossy.  Full format. It's kind of like sitting down with the old Sears Wish Book as a kid.

I've tried all kinds of things over the years - but for the last few years I've moved them over to a database in Notion. Since most of the rest of the stuff in my life lives there - it makes sense for guns too. 

Or at least it did - back before the boating accident.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I like something glossy.  Full format. It's kind of like sitting down with the old Sears Wish Book as a kid.

I've tried all kinds of things over the years - but for the last few years I've moved them over to a database in Notion. Since most of the rest of the stuff in my life lives there - it makes sense for guns too. 

Maybe we should start cataloging the boat accident locations... lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Funny you should ask this, I was just thinking yesterday about creating a database in ACCESS. I used MyGunDB, but its no longer supported.  So I created my database in an EXCEL spreadsheet.

I worked with ACCESS years ago and I think making individual page layouts for each gun would be much cooler. Maybe someone has already done this and would like to share?

I’ve not tried to add pictures to either yet.

My C&R stuff is just a WORD document in a 3-ring binder.

17 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Funny you should ask this, I was just thinking yesterday about creating a database in ACCESS. I used MyGunDB, but its no longer supported.  So I created my database in an EXCEL spreadsheet.

I worked with ACCESS years ago and I think making individual page layouts for each gun would be much cooler. Maybe someone has already done this and would like to share?

I’ve not tried to add pictures to either yet.

My C&R stuff is just a WORD document in a 3-ring binder.

It could be done in access, but good luck ever exporting the data MicroSuck decides to change something. I deal with an Access database for monthly reports and while it can do a lot, it is far from friendly. 

While I would love to have a mobile copy to reference, I hesitate to have this in the cloud. But maybe something you could routinely update by printing to PDF to carry. 

I have used a computer, and it crashed the back ups were trash. I have used paper and book they’ve got lost or wet and damaged. So I guess I really don’t keep track of them all, besides they at the bottom of old Hickory lake, it was dark.

• Like 2

+1 on password protected Excel. I keep it updated and a hard copy in the safe with my guns in a document fireproof box (think Sentry) with all my other important papers. Every time I buy, sell, or modify a gun, I update the spreadsheet on the PC, then print a new hard copy. Like Darrell, it's not so much for me as it is to help my family in the event of my demise. The hard part is getting started, but once you have everything down, maintenance is easy. A second benefit is having documentation for insurance purposes, especially if you keep a digital copy in the cloud somewhere (i.e. Dropbox.) What I need to do now is take pictures of each to add to the documentation.

Ed

• Moderators
11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I've used Evernote for years but have been watching several YouTube videos about Notion. May be giving it a test drive soon.

• Admin Team

It took me a bit to make the change - and I don’t use it for everything. But I’ve found the things it does well, It does really well. 

My gotos are:

1. Things 3 - I moved recently from OmniFocus - it’s my primary planning and task management system 

2. Notion - used for all kinds of stuff like notes and documentation. There are a lot of great templates for all kinds of stuff  

3. Pocket - a universal extension that allows me to save anything I’m reading for later. Notion can do this too, and I may move it in the future - but I use Pocket for more of a curated reading list to come back to later. If I want to save an article after that, I’ll file it elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I use a notes program on my Mac called MacJournal and its corresponding app on my iPhone. They can be synced together. Since it is on my computer (as well as iPhone) it gets backed up as part of my normal weekly backup schedule and monthly backup that gets kept in a fireproof box in my gun safe.

I just keep a simple list with serial number and a few notes about the gun.

You seriously want to put in black and white so your wife knows how much you really spent on that new acquisition? The other day I had my pistol laying on the dining table and my wife said I have never seen that pistol to which I honestly replied "honey that is the one I have been carrying". That was a true statement, I just didn't say how long I had been carrying it. Plausible deniability.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

You seriously want to put in black and white so your wife knows how much you really spent on that new acquisition? The other day I had my pistol laying on the dining table and my wife said I have never seen that pistol to which I honestly replied "honey that is the one I have been carrying". That was a true statement, I just didn't say how long I had been carrying it. Plausible deniability.

If I listen to my wife I wouldn't have any guns...

Part of the reason I need a better catalog. I have to keep them scattered about so much, sometimes I need a detail, but don't feel like dragging it out. 

48 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

I keep a set of index cards with manufacturer, model, serial number, at the top, and then each time I shoot I record the date, ammo type, round count and note any issues/observations. I start a second card, if necessary.

I am a big analogue nerd!

I like your system. Really, I do.

• Like 1

I'm a gun nerd and excel guru.  I actually have a excel spreadsheet tracking system and separately a spreadsheet scoring system on the my top 20 guns I want (my bucket list).  If I didn't have the scoring system, I would simply buy buy buy anything that shoots and probably never get to my top 3 or 5 on the list.  The scoring system keeps me honest to myself, allows me to budget, plan, and work to a goal in a priority manner.  The scoring system has worked well for 10+ years and has yielded great focus.  Its rare for me to break rank.  

My tracking system tells a good story on the gun, from the base data (type, make, model, s/n,) date of acquisition, acquired from whom, 4473 Y/N, Keeper Scale (1-10), and my personal comments.  My comments tell the over all story on each gun, and why it is special to me.   Since I am a excel guru I have graphs on gun types, calibers, how many in each of the keeper scores, etc. 

My original thoughts on my tracking system was obviously for fire, theft, etc.  However as I grow older, I want to leave a story behind on each  gun if I check out early.  Maybe my sons will enjoy reading and maybe want a certain gun that resonates with them on my stories.   A few years ago, I inherited a sizeable collection from my dad.  Though I was familiar with about 10% of the guns, there was a large swath I knew nothing about, i.e. why did he have this certain rifle, was it special to him, where did he get it, and etc.  Though guns are tools, and I don't have a system on my toolbox of sockets, wrenches, hammers and screwdrivers, guns are special to me (always have been).  Finally, one more reason on the detail that I keep, some of you will cringe, I want my wife to know what something is worth, so she doesn't give it away or let it go for pennies on the dollar.  She knows I have invested some $$, but I really don't think she knows that is $$+$^2 if you give my drift.  

I keep backups in the cloud, another backup in a traditional separate backup system, and routinely a hard copy in the lock box at the bank.