16 December 2020 - ATF Making More Moves Against Pistol Braces

Message added by Chucktshoes,

Duplicate topics merged. 

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I’ve said before that cops or feds won’t be involved in large scale confiscation. But after what I saw this year with coward cops standing down while businesses were being burned and innocent citizens being brutality attacked and even killed; anything can happen. Especially with people like Biden/Harris in charge.

This is exactly why I posted earlier that it's ones own personal responsibility to protect their family, friends & self.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

This is exactly why I posted earlier that it's ones own personal responsibility to protect their family, friends & self.

Amen! And if, God forbid, that time comes for one of us to have to defend and protect (I see those words on lots of police cars by the way. Not on ATF vehicles) my family, I’d much rather reach for a firearm than a ball bat. I believe it was Colt that settled the Wild West, by making the weak stronger, not Louisville Slugger.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 3

Why even start the process now when in less than a month they can regulate in great earnest?

Patience is obviously not a virtue among some bureaucrats, while others sit back and chip away little by little.  Regardless, the end game is the same.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
47 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Why even start the process now when in less than a month they can regulate in great earnest?

Patience is obviously not a virtue among some bureaucrats, while others sit back and chip away little by little.  Regardless, the end game is the same.

I think this was a check to see if the public was still asleep like they have been for the last 4 years  

Unpopular opinion time:

The only reason Republican voters paid attention and Republican legislators got involved is that Biden is President elect. If Trump had been re-elected, this would have sailed right on by like the bump stock ban with a lot of excuses being made why its some 4D chess maneuver or just plain not a big deal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I think this was a check to see if the public was still asleep like they have been for the last 4 years  

Unpopular opinion time:

The only reason Republican voters paid attention and Republican legislators got involved is that Biden is President elect. If Trump had been re-elected, this would have sailed right on by like the bump stock ban with a lot of excuses being made why its some 4D chess maneuver or just plain not a big deal. 

I agree. They are ALL playing a game with us. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, seez52 said:

They will bring it back up and roll it into Bidens assault rifles being included in the NFA. And most will shake their heads and jump on the "free" tax stamp and go about looking at their phones, watching Ball games and Netflix. 

Looking for comments on both sides of this please.

Ok, we have a temporary reprieve. Do we take steps to plan for the return? Keep on buying braces and adding them on? 

29 minutes ago, Pain103 said:

They are going to make the NFA there is no doubt in my mind. If they waive the tax stamp fee I'll just have some SBR and SBS.

Sort of what I'm thinking. But I just reallllllly hate verifying what they may already know.

Which is why after thinking on it a bit, I decided not to post on the Letter.

As someone said, just made a nice starting point for collections.

I'm sort of thinking this, if I have to SBR; why arm brace? Just put a stock on and be done.

If, and when, I'll have to decide on which and what to keep

10 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

The ATF are standing down, for the moment. Don’t believe they’re anywhere even close to done. They’ll be be back, and soon. 

9 hours ago, Garufa said:

That's kinda what I thought when I saw what happened. 

6 hours ago, hipower said:

Looking for comments on both sides of this please.

Ok, we have a temporary reprieve. Do we take steps to plan for the return? Keep on buying braces and adding them on? 

What you do is up to you. Just make sure you are aware that ATF “letters” on the brace (or anything else) do not protect you. That’s not something we probably have to worry about in Tennessee, but you never know.  

As far as the issue of putting the AR in the NFA; I don’t think they will have the votes to do that. But I don’t pretend to know anymore what they will do.  If they did, it would go to the SCOTUS. So far, the SCOTUS has refused to hear the cases on states banning the AR. The Feds trying to do it will almost make them have to decide.

I expect Biden to ban high capacity magazines by EO soon after taking office. He may try to ban the AR by EO. I don’t think he really cares if the court kills his EO’s; he just wants to be able to say he tried.

Anyone that hasn’t stocked up on magazines should probably do that if they are available.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, hipower said:

Sort of what I'm thinking. But I just reallllllly hate verifying what they may already know.

Which is why after thinking on it a bit, I decided not to post on the Letter.

As someone said, just made a nice starting point for collections.

I'm sort of thinking this, if I have to SBR; why arm brace? Just put a stock on and be done.

If, and when, I'll have to decide on which and what to keep

I don’t think collections will ever be an issue. But that’s just my opinion. One turning up on a traffic stop or other type encounter with the Police could be. I’m thinking of the PLR-16 fiasco in Sumner County years ago.

If you put a stock on instead of a brace and pay the tax; this is no longer an issue for you. Unless of course you believe they will start confiscating NFA items.

I sold my AR Pistol because I found that an AR without a stock is worthless. And I wasn’t about to pay the NFA tax. A 16” AR with a collapsible stock filled the bill for my application and I had a far more usable weapon. But whatever works for you.

• Like 1

ATF released the following statement:

Upon further consultation with the Department of Justice and the Office of the Deputy Attorney General, ATF is withdrawing, pending further Department of Justice review, the notice and request for comments entitled “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces’,” that was published on December 18, 2020. As explained in the notice, the proposed guidance was not a regulation. The notice informed and invited comment from the industry and public on a proposed guidance prior to issuing a final guidance document.

Quick read news article here:   https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/12/23/atf-reverses-course-withdraws-ar-pistol-reclassification/

However, I DON'T think the fat lady has sung just yet....

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t think collections will ever be an issue. But that’s just my opinion. One turning up on a traffic stop or other type encounter with the Police could be. I’m thinking of the PLR-16 fiasco in Sumner County years ago.

If you put a stock on instead of a brace and pay the tax; this is no longer an issue for you. Unless of course you believe they will start confiscating NFA items.

I sold my AR Pistol because I found that an AR without a stock is worthless. And I wasn’t about to pay the NFA tax. A 16” AR with a collapsible stock filled the bill for my application and I had a far more usable weapon. But whatever works for you.

I think my attraction to the pistol form comes from shooting with my late brother-in-law. He was always tinkering with them and I sort of fell into it. 

Lol. We each have our weaknesses I suppose. 

This may just be "Oops we jumped the gun. We will get back to this in a few months". Or possibly, "We found a way to do this without having to let the public opinion be aired"

If nothing else they tested the waters looking for opportunities. Maybe just other manufacturers to further scrutinize. 

Yes I am cynical, paranoid, and a few other things..... If you are not a bit, maybe you should watch the news more. 😀

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Yes. 

This is the correct answer, the more of these out there the more the more normalized they will be. I have  a Shokwave with a brace and an AK-V with a brace. Its not hard to make a few people criminals with a stupid law or directive, its a lot harder making 10 million people criminals with that same stupid law or directive. There is some safety in numbers, it kind of makes want to get something else and put a brace on it.

Edited by turkeydad
  • Moderators
16 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Unpopular opinion time:

Hey! That unpopular opinion should be popular! I doubt the bump stock ban would have happened if Hillary was president. She may very well have pushed/supported much worse legislation, but then Republicans may have at least fought it tooth and nail rather than SAYING HEY YOU GUYS WILL YOU EXAMINE BUMP STOCKS AND FIGURE IF THEY SHOULD BE LEGAL?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1