GRIP SIZE

papa61

I've been through several pages in search and found nothing so hope someone can educate me. My sister told me my brother in law is looking for a new pistol and they told him he needed a "17 grip". Has someone come up with some measuring tool for grip and trigger reach that I haven't heard of? Thanks in advance.

• Administrator

17 round, G17 sized.  It's actually really easy to conceal that with the right holster and belt.   I've carried my G45 (17rd grip) all summer and worn shorts and a t-shirt.  Not difficult and honestly fits my hand and allows recoil management better than a Glock 19 (15rd grip).

• Like 1
15 hours ago, chances R said:

plenty of folks carry full size guns......dress around the gun.

Amen... The great John Bianchi used ta do a demo on this.  He also wrote a book about it years ago.  Its definite good read.  Sadly, the title escapes me at the moment... Sigh.

Abraham leroy Simpson...

On 12/18/2020 at 5:11 AM, papa61 said:

I've been through several pages in search and found nothing so hope someone can educate me. My sister told me my brother in law is looking for a new pistol and they told him he needed a "17 grip". Has someone come up with some measuring tool for grip and trigger reach that I haven't heard of? Thanks in advance.

I've been getting a ton of great information from the site over the last few years and wanted to pick everyone's brain with a question/issue I seem to be having. I've been a glock shooter for quite some time now and have always been a fan of the 4th gen 19 and the way in which it integrates with my hand and grip. I really feel as though I get a very solid grip on the pistol, as in there is no movement or wiggle as I fire the gun and it recoils. This leads me to my issue: I purchased a 4th gen 17 a few weeks ago and am noticing that I have to try very hard to control the pistol as well as I can control the 19. There feels to me like there is an increased "slop" in the way I grip the gun in a similar fashion to the 19. When I grip the 17 there is roughly 1/4" to 1/2' of grip that extends below my hands and for some reason I don't appear to have as solid a hold on the weapon as I do with the 19.

12 hours ago, MarkWylie said:

There feels to me like there is an increased "slop" in the way I grip the gun in a similar fashion to the 19. When I grip the 17 there is roughly 1/4" to 1/2' of grip that extends below my hands and for some reason I don't appear to have as solid a hold on the weapon as I do with the 19.

The Glock 17 has a longer magwell than the 19.  Having a bit more grip extending below your hand is expected.  Have you checked to make sure one of the larger grips is not installed on the G17?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 5:41 PM, papa61 said:

Do you think he means get pistol with a ~17 degree grip ANGLE? Like a 1911, or is he saying you need a gun with 17 rounds of capacity like a Glock 17,19x,45 ect.? From the question it sounds more like a golf club re-gripping than a pistol spec?! 🙂 

48 minutes ago, JimHouchin said:

Do you think he means get pistol with a ~17 degree grip ANGLE? Like a 1911, or is he saying you need a gun with 17 rounds of capacity like a Glock 17,19x,45 ect.? From the question it sounds more like a golf club re-gripping than a pistol spec?! 🙂 

The first answer was best. trying to sell him a Glock 17

• 8 months later...

You cannot go wrong with a Glock 17.   Complaining about a certain grip is a pass time of gun forums. 

I have read many after action reports by law enforcement.  I have never read a police officers say "I sure am glad I have that custom grip or I would never have won that fight."  Same thing with triggers. As a matter of fact most cops don't even know how many rounds they fired.  That being said most shooters just shoot at targets and that is where a comfortable grip, nice trigger and sights come in to play.  I have owned a few Glocks and still use the Glock 19 as my go to pistol. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Will Carry said:

You cannot go wrong with a Glock 17.   Complaining about a certain grip is a pass time of gun forums. 

I have read many after action reports by law enforcement.  I have never read a police officers say "I sure am glad I have that custom grip or I would never have won that fight."  Same thing with triggers. As a matter of fact most cops don't even know how many rounds they fired.  That being said most shooters just shoot at targets and that is where a comfortable grip, nice trigger and sights come in to play.  I have owned a few Glocks and still use the Glock 19 as my go to pistol. 

We are fortunate to have some good police officers who are actually shooting enthusiasts and therefore earnest students of the gun here on TGO.  But, that is far from the norm.

I listen to what 90% of police officers have to say about their gun about as much as I listen to what 90% of car salesmen want to tell me about their cars.   I generally know more than them, so that's not where I go for advice or were I look for information on how to wring out performance from a gun or car.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Will Carry said:

We are here specifically to pass time on gun forum. so that is not a valid point.

MOST law enforcement officers are not shooters and many only shoot when they have to qualify. so again, not a strong argument.

I could give some long drawn out stories of my experience in the military or some great analogies from other sports. I could quote those who teach modern combat hand-gunning or competent gunsmiths. But no need.  What is most important is the shooter. One must be prepared mentally and physically to use a handgun in order to save life by possibly taking another's. In a gunfight, every possible edge gets you infinitesimally closer to survival. I'll pay my money for what makes me comfortable and go thank you.

5 minutes ago, papa61 said:

MOST law enforcement officers are not shooters and many only shoot when they have to qualify. so again, not a strong argument.

As a former LEO, a vast majority of the officers that I knew only shot their guns during qualification or during an organized training. Sad but true.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, E4 No More said:

As a former LEO, a vast majority of the officers that I knew only shot their guns during qualification or during an organized training. Sad but true.

There are many more aspects to law enforcement so those who have little or no interest in firearms figure if they pass they are good enough. No disrespect intended there, a sidearm is just a tool for them. I can use a hammer but that does not make me a carpenter, just someone who can hit a nail if I need to.

16 hours ago, papa61 said:

There are many more aspects to law enforcement so those who have little or no interest in firearms figure if they pass they are good enough. No disrespect intended there, a sidearm is just a tool for them. I can use a hammer but that does not make me a carpenter, just someone who can hit a nail if I need to.

You'll get no argument out of me there. Most of the ones I knew looked at the odds of being shot at alone and decided the risk wasn't worth the expense. Back in the 90's, most cops didn't get paid well enough to shoot at their own expense and still pay for momma's mini-van. Some figured that if they needed more experience then the PD would pay for it. There were lots of reasons including no where really convenient to shoot unless they owned property in the sticks.

Edited by E4 No More
On 12/29/2020 at 2:57 AM, MarkWylie said:

There feels to me like there is an increased "slop" in the way I grip the gun in a similar fashion to the 19. When I grip the 17 there is roughly 1/4" to 1/2' of grip that extends below my hands and for some reason I don't appear to have as solid a hold on the weapon as I do with the 19.

I don't know what the circumference is between the two grips, i.e. if there's any difference at all. But if there's not, then your lack of grip on the 17 is purely mental & not physical. 

You could do blind grip tests with the two guns, try to overcome this issue with the 17. Have someone mix them up on a table, you wear a blindfold or close your eyes, pick one up & aim it. Open your eyes, see if it points natural & check your grip. Repeat as needed. 

Or sell them all & buy H&K's.....................    😝

• Administrator

While I'm still in the [bad?] habit of acquiring and trying out different handguns, my EDC for the past year has been and likely will continue to be the exceptional Walther PDP Compact.  That gun just has superb ergonomics all the way around.  Excellent grip texture, excellent grip shape, adaptable grip size, ambidextrous controls and a mag release that was designed so that you could manipulate it without breaking your grip.

I could go on and on, but the most compelling statement I could possibly make -- especially for those who know me -- is that it has succeeded in doing what none of the others before it could:  It has supplanted the Glock 19 as my carry of choice.

I kid you not.

• Haha 1