Anyone want to donate $35 to have me ban a whiner permanently?

TGO David

I hope David or none of the administrators or mods take this the wrong way; I’m not questioning anyone’s authority or trying to tell anyone how to do anything.

I truly enjoy this forum and have been here since the beginning. Yes, I’ve had my bumps in the road and have had to adjust a few times. I am a former cop and I really have to watch what I say on that subject.

I am involved in the day to day guns topics, and I have shared my experiences and tried to help others with their gun issues when I can.

But many of us involved with firearms and firearms collecting take politics and freedoms as seriously as we take our 2nd amendment issues.

When the politics forum was shut down for awhile I had to go to other forums if I wanted to discuss those issues. I would have rather done that right here with local people that I have come to know. I suspect participation here dropped off, but that’s just a guess; I don’t know that. It doesn’t appear to me we have the participation now we had a few years ago.

I think many here, like me right now, many be hesitant to speak out on this issue. The “I don’t like the politics section” folks speak out more than we do; but I think they are a very small minority. But our country is sharply divided, more so than I have ever seen it, right down the middle. It’s on our minds everyday and we want to discuss it. I just don’t understand why they complain. The political discussions feeds aren’t even shown in the “Unread Topics”. We are isolated. So if someone is in one of those threads; they had to seek them out intentionally. I don’t get it… if you are going to get upset and disturbed talking about Trump… don’t click on that thread. If you are upset with me because I support him; we are half the population. Discussion, debate, or argument; its just information, do with it what you will.

Again…I feel like I’m walking on thin ice here; but I believe most folks here would rather have their discussions here; whether that be about their latest gun acquisition or the current state of politics.

Thanks,

Dave

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Links2k said:

The other day a member (I’m not certain if he was addressing me) said something to the effect that he didn’t understand why someone with differing views would be on a gun forum in a conservative state. My question would be what gives him more of a right to be here?

I didn't see the comment that you are referring to, and I form this comment based on what you wrote, but not understanding someone is not the same thing as saying that you have no right to be here. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I hope David or none of the administrators or mods take this the wrong way; I’m not questioning anyone’s authority or trying to tell anyone how to do anything.

I truly enjoy this forum and have been here since the beginning. Yes, I’ve had my bumps in the road and have had to adjust a few times. I am a former cop and I really have to watch what I say on that subject.

I am involved in the day to day guns topics, and I have shared my experiences and tried to help others with their gun issues when I can.

But many of us involved with firearms and firearms collecting take politics and freedoms as seriously as we take our 2nd amendment issues.

When the politics forum was shut down for awhile I had to go to other forums if I wanted to discuss those issues. I would have rather done that right here with local people that I have come to know. I suspect participation here dropped off, but that’s just a guess; I don’t know that. It doesn’t appear to me we have the participation now we had a few years ago.

I think many here, like me right now, many be hesitant to speak out on this issue. The “I don’t like the politics section” folks speak out more than we do; but I think they are a very small minority. But our country is sharply divided, more so than I have ever seen it, right down the middle. It’s on our minds everyday and we want to discuss it. I just don’t understand why they complain. The political discussions feeds aren’t even shown in the “Unread Topics”. We are isolated. So if someone is in one of those threads; they had to seek them out intentionally. I don’t get it… if you are going to get upset and disturbed talking about Trump… don’t click on that thread. If you are upset with me because I support him; we are half the population. Discussion, debate, or argument; its just information, do with it what you will.

Again…I feel like I’m walking on thin ice here; but I believe most folks here would rather have their discussions here; whether that be about their latest gun acquisition or the current state of politics.

Thanks,

Dave

I pretty much agree with what you wrote. I think that the political forum should be kept for those who wish to participate. I stay out of it by my choice and I like it that way. What bothers the crap out of me is when certain members want to inject their political comments into other topics. The latest example is in the SARS-COVID thread. If a member wants to repeatedly bash the president for real or imagined affronts to their delicate senses then do it in the political forum where it belongs. I don't want to see it any more than I would want to see a naked 100-year old. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I pretty much agree with what you wrote. I think that the political forum should be kept for those who wish to participate. I stay out of it by my choice and I like it that way. What bothers the crap out of me is when certain members want to inject their political comments into other topics. The latest example is in the SARS-COVID thread. If a member wants to repeatedly bash the president for real or imagined affronts to their delicate senses then do it in the political forum where it belongs. I don't want to see it any more than I would want to see a naked 100-year old. 

Good luck with that. Theres at least one member here thats blames EVERYTHING that's not went right in the last 4 years on the current POTUS. It winds up being like a snail trail from thread to thread. You can see how TDS was imagined up lol. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Color me weird, but I really don't get the whole censorship thing.  I do think the mods do a great job, for what they do.  I'm sure they've shielded me from things they deemed smart for me not to see. 

But I don't feel that I need that protection.   Any member of this forum can ban/censor any other member, so why not let the fights go on for those that choose to participate?  Anyone and everyone can opt out!   Why the babysitting?   

That said, yeah, if some of these discussions turn into crazy threats, etc, fine, do intervention.  Short of that, ideas should be able to be freely expressed.  Crazy ideas of yesterday are sometimes smart ideas of tomorrow.  And vice-versa.  

An unmoderated forum isn’t a pleasant place to visit. I think the crew here does a great job keeping it a forum worth reading.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

Good luck with that. Theres at least one member here thats blames EVERYTHING that's not went right in the last 4 years on the current POTUS. It winds up being like a snail trail from thread to thread. You can see how TDS was imagined up lol. 

That's no different that Obama's 8 years. I'm sure you remember.  We had folks crying because he saluted the Marine while boarding air force one and others upset because he was photographed with his feat on the desk in the oval office. That stuff goes both ways. 

As for the politics section, I've not seen David say it's going away. My understanding is that they will just move some threads to the other section if they get too wild.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

An unmoderated forum isn’t a pleasant place to visit. I think the crew here does a great job keeping it a forum worth reading.

I understand what you're saying, but I am mystified as to why individuals cannot moderate their own feeds, rather than having that decided for them.  Do we need that much protection?  If we get that much protection, we don't even know what we just got protected against.  It's not a deal killer, I love this site and have had terrific conversations and buys/sales/trades with great guys here.  

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

I understand what you're saying, but I am mystified as to why individuals cannot moderate their own feeds, rather than having that decided for them.  Do we need that much protection?  If we get that much protection, we don't even know what we just got protected against.  It's not a deal killer, I love this site and have had terrific conversations and buys/sales/trades with great guys here.  

This is the way it's done here to keep the site appealing to the most people.  When I drive past a landfill I don't think, "OH BOY!  I WANT TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME HERE!" and neither do most sane people.  I roll up my windows, hit the recirculation button on my truck's A/C and hope I don't get saturated with stench.

If you have ever spent any time on a forum where they don't moderate things as evenly as we try to here, it's like hanging out in a pile of weeks old rotten food, dirty diapers and other refuse.  You need a shower after spending 5-10 minutes amongst it.

This shouldn't mystify you.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, TGO David said:

This is the way it's done here to keep the site appealing to the most people.  When I drive past a landfill I don't think, "OH BOY!  I WANT TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME HERE!" and neither do most sane people.  I roll up my windows, hit the recirculation button on my truck's A/C and hope I don't get saturated with stench.

If you have ever spent any time on a forum where they don't moderate things as evenly as we try to here, it's like hanging out in a pile of weeks old rotten food, dirty diapers and other refuse.  You need a shower after spending 5-10 minutes amongst it.

David, upon further reflection, I guess if I was in your position and felt the responsibility that you have taken on.....I might see it exactly as you have described.  If this was my show I wouldn't want a s**tstorm either.  Thanks for doing all that you do for us.  It's got to be an immense amount of work.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

That's no different that Obama's 8 years. I'm sure you remember.  We had folks crying because he saluted the Marine while boarding air force one and others upset because he was photographed with his feat on the desk in the oval office. That stuff goes both ways. 

As for the politics section, I've not seen David say it's going away. My understanding is that they will just move some threads to the other section if they get too wild.

I do remember well. Thats why we are where we are after all 😁

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, TGO David said:

How did you know where I spend my weekends 😂

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

David, upon further reflection, I guess if I was in your position and felt the responsibility that you have taken on.....I might see it exactly as you have described.  If this was my show I wouldn't want a s**tstorm either.  Thanks for doing all that you do for us.  It's got to be an immense amount of work.

Yeah. Since this is David's forum, in a way, it is also a reflection of David. He definitely has a vested interest in moderating the content. We who participate are not the only folks viewing this forum. I'd go so far as to say the content here can represent most all gun owners.

• Like 4

Since we have moved from frivolity and enjoyment of a good laugh, to the more practical and serious side of things; ill opine about " Censorship " and " Correction "...

I get the idea that we are in David's House.  Some of us even pay a fee to be here.  This aint " Stormfront " nor whatever the most hateful lefty forum is... it's " Tennessee Gun Owners "... A lovely place of conversation for most folk of good will who like, collect, n shoot firearms...; and there are certain proprieties we observe here for both David and us " children " here on the forum; as well as a need for the projection of certain optics for those on the outside lookin in.

The most lovely place i can think of is a home.  A home has responsible " parents ".  Parents correct the rowdy n adjust the attitudes of the disruptive from time to time. That is simply the nature of the family thing.

Havin said that; I think from time to time, that we are a bit too " squeeky clean ", but that's just me.  But, on balance, as the great " Pappy Menolaius O'Daniel quipped: " Its a well run machine "...

Thanks to " all y'all " who run it from a former malefactor and rabid libertarian.

That is all...

misdemeanerin  leroy...

• Like 3

I would not want David's job/responsibility of trying to keep all of  the " kids" straight and in our separate corners so to speak when some don't agree on things.  Everyone gets a little bit big for their britches at times, and it's usually "dad" or an uncle (the mods) that has to slap someone on the back of the head and tell 'em to shut up and be quiet.  

TGO is a good place to visit, thanks to all the people who make it so.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, E4 No More said:

First I'm only 60 and I will stop posting naked lol

• Haha 3