Live Stream Tv

I have Amazon Prime video, Netflix and Sling subscriptions.  I drop in and out of Netflix periodically, cancelling my subscription when interest wanes or I'm not watching enough to justify it.  I'm probably about to drop it again.  Amazon video is a part of prime, since I do a lot of online shopping with them it's a perk that I can use or not.  Sling is my go-to, I have it on often when tinkering in my shop, as it provides some "white noise" as I work.  I have had periods, some as long as several years, in which I had no TV at all - can't say I missed it much ...

25 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

I have Amazon Prime video, Netflix and Sling subscriptions.  I drop in and out of Netflix periodically, cancelling my subscription when interest wanes or I'm not watching enough to justify it.  I'm probably about to drop it again.  Amazon video is a part of prime, since I do a lot of online shopping with them it's a perk that I can use or not.  Sling is my go-to, I have it on often when tinkering in my shop, as it provides some "white noise" as I work.  I have had periods, some as long as several years, in which I had no TV at all - can't say I missed it much ...

I'm mooching off my kids subscriptions of Prime and Netflix...both stream the same movies all the time, I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase either of them.

I tried YT Tv as I was looking at Hulu couple yrs ago, now it's pricey too. 

Sling has your local stations correct,

Edited by Johnny Rotten
1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

What are you guys using? 

I've been streaming Hulu for a couple years, they raised the price $10 last yr and another $10 later this month, screw'em I'm leaving

I used Sling for a couple of years during the NBA season, but they no longer have the Fox Regional Sports channels.  So, it's no longer worth it for me.

If you haven't looked at how much free stuff you can get with just a Roku, you might be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Sling has your local stations correct,

Yes, and no.  Sling advertises local channels, but its only available in select markets, mostly big cities.  As I live in the outermost boonies, there's no local channels available to me.  You can get an AirTV thing which will allow a stream from whatever local channels you can pick up via antenna or otherwise to be included in your Sling interface, but I've never tried it.  The "Blue" package, which is what I use, does have a number of national news channels, i.e. NBC, FOX, CNN, etc. as part of the package.  I sometimes use online viewing (computer) from these channels "apps" to watch as well ...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ski said:

If you haven't looked at how much free stuff you can get with just a Roku, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Johnny is correct about this.  I typically use a Roku as my Sling interface, there are a lot of free channels available on it.  I don't watch a lot of TV, and don't have a lot of interest in much of what's offered free, but it is there ...

I have an outside antenna that pulls in something like 82 channels of which around 30 are unique and have something worth watching once in awhile. I feed the antenna to a quad tuner on my computer and use Plex to record and store shows so I can skip commercials. Plex is free but if you want a TV guide you pay a monthly/yearly fee or you can get a lifetime membership that is around $100 but they have sales all the time, I think I paid $69. I set it up to record current and some old favorites, you can set it to record show but not to duplicate so if you just ignore it for awhile you can get a complete series to watch when ever.

I also have a basic Hulu subscription without ads that is $13/month and a Netflix subscription for one TV at a time, standard resolution, don't remember the cost but it is their cheapest plan. I also have Roku and watch some of their free stuff. I have an old computer computer hooked to my main TV so that allows me to stream from lots of web sources. Uncle Earl is one of my favorites, lots of old tv shows with no commercials. Not the best resolution but good enough. Recently started watching the free stuff on Peacock. 

Biggest problem stuff is scattered all over so it is sometimes hard to find the show I want.

• Like 1