A message from the president of Federal, CCI, Speer, & Remington.

This could almost a recording of a conversation I had with a FFL friend recently. He's cussed and threatened daily over the guns/ammo supply situation by complete strangers.  Says when he ask why they don't just buy elsewhere they will admit no one has any inventory and go back to ranting at him.   He's started just walking away and ignoring them.  Heck of a way to have to run your business and deal with potential customers.

• Like 2

The thought that they aren’t making ammunition or that they are storing it in secret warehouses is ridiculous. 🙃

I constantly see people ask why they simply add more machines? Because they can’t justify the cost. When the latest “drama” in the firearms/ammo market is over, those machines would be sitting idle.

I was reading the other day where part of Smith & Wesson was shut down due to employees with Covid. That takes a toll on production, because most of those jobs are skilled trades with specialized training. They can’t just go hire people off the street and have them hit the ground running.

My wife works in the food industry. They usually are slow the first of the year and allow employees to take a bunch of time off if they want it. Not this year. They have been working overtime like crazy and it will continue for the foreseeable future. They too have been hit hard by Covid.

• Like 4

It's a good thing to reassure people that everything possible is being done. I'm fairly certain that this industry is one of many that has been BTW 24/7 and it's global. When the COVID blanket is pulled off the supply will slowly increase. The Media coverage of all the unrest has driven demand for everything. How would you like to be in Charge of a big toilet paper outfit      

• Like 1

Sheepal.....  I bought back when plentiful & cheap. Wolf 9mm at 14 cents a round. 7.62x39,  $179 a 1K case..... peanuts. so you get a few cases and be done with it.  Mil surp 7.62 x 51 South African was like .47 cents a round when I bought the rubber battle bags. Funny how fear can tick the sheep off so much. All bleeting bloody murder thinking they dont want to be lead to some kind of Over reach slaughter when the REAL deal is long term storage food. THATS what you need the ammo for. To protect that commodity. Its going to be all about food.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 10:42 AM, Quavodus said:

I appreciate that they are loading  millions of rounds of ammo. Ok..... where is it? I've not seen hardly any ammo in Cookeville, Livingston, Tompkinsville, Ky., Gamaliel, Ky. 

That is a good question David. Let's look at the number of gun stores in the U.S. about 55,000, the number of McDonalds is 13,785. So I got to looking at numbers, in 2017 it was said 12 billion rounds of ammo was sold in U.S. If each gun store gets equal amount that is about 218,000 rounds per store. If they are open 6 days a week this equal about 700 rounds per day. That isn't even a 1,000 round case. Plus there are stores that sell ammo and don't sell guns like hardware stores etc. While looking I stumbled on a 2017 story that said at least 100 billion rounds were stockpiled by U.S. shooters and that number could be as high as 500 billion rounds. If 500 billion is correct and there are about 72 million gun owners that would be a bit less than 7,000 rounds per person. The U.S. has 4% of world population, but has 40% of civilian owned firearms.

• Like 2
On 12/23/2020 at 10:42 AM, Quavodus said:

I appreciate that they are loading  millions of rounds of ammo. Ok..... where is it? I've not seen hardly any ammo in Cookeville, Livingston, Tompkinsville, Ky., Gamaliel, Ky. 

And you probably won’t for some time. No need to stock shelves; its being sold online without the need, and they don’t have to look the customer in the eye.

• Like 2