Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with “Stabilizing Braces”

DaveTN

Anyone else feel like they will just use the comment database as a starting point for who to go after first? I am leery of submitting my name and information to file a complaint that likely won't even be read. 

Dave, give me your last name and I'll submit a complaint on your behalf. 😉

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Moderators

It's way past time to worry about being on a list. I'm sure I'm on every list there is.

I inundate all of our representatives from local, state and federal with letters and emails. I have sent hundreds over the last few years. I'm not happy with any them.

Once you become afraid to speak out you've already lost. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

It's way past time to worry about being on a list. I'm sure I'm on every list there is.

I inundate all of our representatives from local, state and federal with letters and emails. I have sent hundreds over the last few years. I'm not happy with any them.

Once you become afraid to speak out you've already lost. 

If I’m not on every list there is, someone isn’t doing their job. On the other hand we are talking about government employees, so.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
11 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

My wife and I submitted our comments online, by fax, and by mail. That should get us 6 votes by government math.

Would it be wrong for my dog to submit her comments also?  She lives in my house and is a full dependent? 

Hell yes, your dog should comment.  She probably has the most to lose if BATFE shows up on your property. 

Post your single dankest meme - Mordhau.com Forums

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Moderators
14 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Weaver’s incident was the FBI. Was ATF involved?

The original warrant was on an ATF charge for selling a couple of sawed off shotguns to ATF informants.  Initial raid was US Marshals and then it was finished off by the FBI HRT. 

• Like 2
On 12/19/2020 at 8:57 PM, GlockSpock said:

Weaver’s incident was the FBI. Was ATF involved?

On 12/19/2020 at 9:14 PM, Chucktshoes said:

The original warrant was on an ATF charge for selling a couple of sawed off shotguns to ATF informants.  Initial raid was US Marshals and then it was finished off by the FBI HRT. 

11 hours ago, Defender said:

It started with the ATF...

ATF, FBI, NSA, CIA, EPA, DOT, USPS, DOE, DHS, NASA... Does it REALLY matter which alphabet agency it was? Pretty much all the same assholes regardless. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I trust no one wants further regulation, worse the subjective BS interpretation by field agents this opens the door to.  But its clear where this ends. Those that have been predicting it were on the money.

The ATF doesnt give a squirt about anyone's opinion, that is a smoke show. When I see this kind of information fishing from this kind of agency, I see it as a form of discovery where they know informed and smart opposition arguments will come after weeding out the junk. Allowing for better defense as they go forward with their clear plan to reclass braced weapons as SBR's. I wont help their lawyers.

If you think your local govt reps will actually help or it just makes you feel like you did what you could, that is the better avenue.

If you're one to look at the silver lining, as your pistols become SBR's overnight (maybe you were on the fence about doing a form 1), at least you have a fast track and a free tax stamp.

exerpt:  "an expedited application process and the retroactive exemption of such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes"

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-atf-withdraws-comment-request-on-pistol-brace-objective-factors-classification/

The ATF has just posted a notice that they have withdrawn their guidance and request for public comment on “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces‘” in the Federal Register. Here is the full announcement from the ATF:

ATF is announcing the withdrawal of a notice and request for comments entitled “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces’,” that was published on December 18, 2020.

ATF Deputy Director Marvin Richardson has just issued the following statement:

Upon further consultation with the Department of Justice and the Office of the Deputy Attorney General, ATF is withdrawing, pending further Department of Justice review, the notice and request for comments entitled “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces’,” that was published on December 18, 2020. 85 FR 82516. As explained in the notice, the proposed guidance was not a regulation. The notice informed and invited comment from the industry and public on a proposed guidance prior to issuing a final guidance document. 

The withdrawal of the guidance does not change any law, regulation, or other legally binding requirement.

December 23, 2020
Marvin G. Richardson
Associate Deputy Director

As of this evening, more than 48,000 comments had been entered in the Federal Register objecting to the arbitrary and subjective nature of the ATF’s proposed classification of pistols equipped with stabilizing braces.

Yesterday, 90 members of Congress sent a letter to ATF Interim Director Regina Lombardo noting that the ATF’s proposed guidance was anything but objective and could put law-abiding Americans in potential legal jeopardy.

But TTAG has learned that the final straw that persuaded the ATF to back down and withdraw the guidance was serious pressure applied by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. A call took place over the weekend involving a number of firearms industry companies and McConnell’s office.

McConnell’s subsequent involvement in the matter, along with fast and furious (to coin a phrase) activism from the gun rights community in opposition to the ATF’s proposed move were what resulted in this evening’s win.

More details may be revealed over time, but this is an unqualified victory. One that many in the gun rights community likely weren’t expecting given recent news surrounding the ATF’s appetite for more firearms-related regulation in advance of a Biden inauguration.

This, however, is just one win in a larger battle to protect Americans’ Second Amendment rights. A battle that is never really won and will surely require more participation from gun owners in the weeks and months ahead. Stay tuned for more as it becomes available.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1