Ford 2021 Bronco, Who's Getting One?

Blitzen

Wondering if anyone on the forum has been following the new Bronco and has a current reservation. My first vehicle was a 73' CJ5 and kept it for 10 years. Great vehicle although had to work on it from time to time. I learned how to do mechanic work because of my CJ. Have always had a 4x4 in the stable and looked hard at the new JL Rubicon just before Covid hit. Then decided to hold off to check the Bronco out. Put in a late July reservation for the 2021 Bronco. Ford may have hit a home run with the new Bronco and will see! Plan to retire my 05 LR3 purchased new and want to get back to a a 4x4 that you can modify some to "make it your own". I'm retired and have time to do that. LOL

989205850_2021FordBroncoSasquatchCyber-OrangeBronco6G_com.thumb.jpg.074e101a1af7c01948df8973a6d01992.jpg

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

While I do find them intriguing, I have no reason to put that sort of money into a vehicle, unless it is an investment grade antique. I’ll wait for you guys to wear them out. Then I might pick one up.

I'm with you on this one. Maybe in 15 years it would fit my budget. 

• Like 1

Fully understand the "first model year" thing but not sure it really means anything or not.  At least in my experience. My reservation is down the line a bit so there will be Bronco's on the road well before my possible buy will get to me. I think companies move pretty quickly to rectify high incident part failures on their new roll outs.  However I do think one of the benefits of waiting is that options and improvements to equipment are made in later model years. Downside is that it can work against you also. My last vehicle purchase was a 2017. The 2018's were out when I bought the 2017 due to the 2017's not having Start/Stop. I'm glad a lot of people will wait for later model year Bronco's so I will get one sooner. Sorry mine will be wore out before you can buy it. LOL!

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

While I do find them intriguing, I have no reason to put that sort of money into a vehicle, unless it is an investment grade antique. I’ll wait for you guys to wear them out. Then I might pick one up.

Agree, Greg. Like the Bronc, not the price.

I had a '78 Bronco, Detroit Locker in back, Detroit TruTrac in front. Absolute beast. 10 mph tho. Not an everyday driver.

25 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Fully understand the "first model year" thing but not sure it really means anything or not.  

It sure does!! 

When the G1 Raptor was introduced in 2010, Ford had like 10 gizzilon F150's under their belt, then frames started bending and cracking, I'm sure plenty of Ford engineer's were going WTF how is this $#!+ happening, now FW to 2017 when the G2 Raptor is released, transmission problems from the get go!

Ford will sell lots of them, I bet the dealers will sell them for MSRP + several more $K's.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

How does it corner? 😀

Something you have to get used to. Punch it a bit cornering. it wants to lock up, and chirp the tires. The guy that installed it,  said , you'll love it off road & hate it on road. Cornering wasn't that bad, just have to get used to it. I didn't see it as a problem.

I traded it back in the 80s. Sometimes I wish for it back.

Have no interest for a Raptor old or new, old Bronco modified or not or the so called Raptor version of the Bronco, "The Warthog" which is in the testing phase.  The 202? Warthog is a little better comparison with the Raptor than the 2021 Bronco. The 2021 Bronco is going to bring some competition to  the off road segment that has been missing for many years. Competition is good. Ford appears to be building the Bronco with the capability of being easily supported by a large aftermarket. That's a good thing in my book. Wish Land Rover did the same thing. Sorry to hear that the Raptor's had frame problems. Maybe it doesn't carry over to the 2021 Bronco. I have had one Ford. A 1997 Ford 150. It was a good truck. It got sold by private sell for 05 Tundra which I still have. The torque converter and air bag has been the Toyota's weak spots.

• Admin Team

Good looking truck. I’m sure they’ll sell a bunch of them.

I’m an American engineer that had always wanted to root for Ford deep down in my soul.  That said, there’s no way you could convince me to put down my hard earned money on a first year, first generation Ford product.

Truth told, I wouldn’t get that choice anyway. My wife owned a first generation Focus when we got married. She refers to it as the last Ford product any member of our family will ever own. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
54 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

It's going to be really difficult to convince me to buy anything but Toyota or Lexus at this point. I would never buy a Ford.

I like Toyota’s and Honda’s as well. I’ve also had good luck with Fords. What is it you don’t like about Fords?

• Admin Team
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I like Toyota’s and Honda’s as well. I’ve also had good luck with Fords. What is it you don’t like about Fords?

I sure like that step and the grab bar in the tailgate of the newer F-150s.

I’m skinny and still pretty agile, but I sure wouldn’t mind seeing those catch on. 

23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Honestly, it's not that I don't like them. I love the Raptor. I just don't think Ford makes nearly as reliable a vehicle as I would want to buy. I've read so many horror stories. Half the guys on the Tundra forum are ones that gave up on their unreliable Dodge/Chevy/Ford and bought a Tundra. There are members on there with 500k miles. Numerous with over 300k. 

Like I said, I'm loyal to Toyota or possibly Honda. I wouldn't even buy a Nissan. I bought a Rav4 new for my wife in 2012. So far the only non routine thing I've had to replace is a radiator hose. That's through 8 years and 125k miles. My dad bought a Rogue a few months after us in 2012 and it's needed all kinds of work. He's on his 3rd set of CV axles. Toyota just builds a better vehicle than most.

There are 2 Tundras documented with a million miles and one that died around 925k.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/million-mile-tundra-the-tear-down/

I'm happily driving my nearly 19 year old Tundra with 175k miles. I just sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs and got a clean bill of health. We just took it to the outer banks a few months ago.

DSC01060.JPG

1004201243_HDR.jpg

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 5

Love the 4.7 V8 in my 05 tundra. Just spent $1400 on preventive engine maintenance at 142000 miles. Timing belt replacement was the main reason for work. Cant go wrong with Toyota. Hopefully the Bronco will be reliable. The engines and auto are proven and have been in the Ford stable for sometime. That will help. 

• Admin Team
55 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Honestly, it's not that I don't like them. I love the Raptor. I just don't think Ford makes nearly as reliable a vehicle as I would want to buy. I've read so many horror stories. Half the guys on the Tundra forum are ones that gave up on their unreliable Dodge/Chevy/Ford and bought a Tundra. There are members on there with 500k miles. Numerous with over 300k. 

Like I said, I'm loyal to Toyota or possibly Honda. I wouldn't even buy a Nissan. I bought a Rav4 new for my wife in 2012. So far the only non routine thing I've had to replace is a radiator hose. That's through 8 years and 125k miles. My dad bought a Rogue a few months after us in 2012 and it's needed all kinds of work. He's on his 3rd set of CV axles. Toyota just builds a better vehicle than most.

There are 2 Tundras documented with a million miles and one that died around 925k.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/million-mile-tundra-the-tear-down/

I'm happily driving my nearly 19 year old Tundra with 175k miles. I just sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs and got a clean bill of health. We just took it to the outer banks a few months ago.

DSC01060.JPG

1004201243_HDR.jpg

Let’s have a review of that rooftop tent. 

I have a day 1 reservation for a Badlands.  I doubt that I will order.  It seems like David DuCOVIDy has been the lead on this project and has caused delay after delay (some understandable and some are bewildering).  This along with the weird website/build anomalies and junior-high-level information and communication shenanigans leads me to believe that the first iteration may not be up to snuff.  Also, the 4runner is all the on-road/off-road combo that I need.  Taking the roof off would be fun, but if I'm honest, I'd rather do that in a 911.

That - and I am not that fond of the hard top look.  It doesn't look like a concept that went through enough revisions before the production.

With that said - if one wanted to get a Base, 2 door and add sasquatch to it, you'd probably have a heck of a fun vehicle.

The powertrain and chassis are not new, so they should be good.  It's the electronics, and Bronco-specific features and parts that might need some time.

Edited by Peace